Author Topic: Flight Model?  (Read 2525 times)

Offline Sunchaser

• Copper Member
Flight Model?
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2001, 08:26:00 AM »
Thank you again Pyro.

Due to the fact that I thought I might have missed something I went to a land base, got a Corsair and loaded it up and needed 1 notch right rudder and 1 notch flaps to take off.

From CV with same load took same with rudder and 2 notches of flaps and I almost crashed when the left wing dropped on liftoff.
Torque is there.

My knowledge of aerodynamics allows me to distinguish them from a bottle of beer so I defer to you.

That TBM is beautiful.

------------------
When did they put this thing in here and WTF is it for?

Glunz

Flight Model?
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2001, 10:39:00 AM »

Originally posted by niklas:
I read a story from an german aviation author, i think his name was Baumann. He flew the FW190 in the war.

He wrote about a common accident during their training on the FW190.

Earlier they were trained on a Arado aircraft with about 4-500HP. When they came into a critical situation (during landing approch, slow flight) they got used to push the throttle full forward. No Problem with 500HP.

The next aircraft what they did fly was already the FW190. 1300HP more power. When someone wasn´t careful, he reacted in the same situation in the same way, like in the Arado and pushed the throttle quickly forward.
This let the Fw190 immediatly roll on it´s head, and they crashed. He wrote that he saw many dying this way.

This is of course no "steady state". I think it has something to do with the change of the RPM. How fast can a constant-speed-mechanism adjust the RPM? In AH it´s always constant, no matter how fast you change your power setting. I remember the mechanism of the P40 from zenoswarbirdsvideos, it worked pretty slow. That would mean if you open your throttle very fast you can reach 4000,5000 RPM for a short time right?

niklas

Let’s stop for a while right here. Forget about Hogs, Nikis, 27 loops etc.

Let’s hear analyze the story/anecdotes from Herr Baumann. Here you have someone who flew the particular type explaining the particular effect. Of course, he did not put out the numbers or formulas, just the effect he noticed. Does that immediately disqualify him ? Hmmm, I’d rather listen to this guy  than a dozen of engineers with formulas (being an enginner myself  ).

He states that 190 would flip on its back if throttle was pushed full forward from idle, at low speeds. Supposedly he is right. I believe I heard of P 51 pilots noticing/experiencing similar effect.

I tried it for few minutes, but could not reproduce this effect in AH. If you can, please tell me so we do not drag this further.

But if it really doesn’t feel like the 190 Herr Baumann flew, the 190 who would kill its pilot at low speeds, then what now ? What is the next step ? Whine ? No, just put the question here and discuss it. OF course asskissers will qualify it a whine, but let them. If there is someone with hidden agenda, it is them.

Is it possible that torque effect has been toned down for whatever reason ? Intentional or non intentional ? Formulas do not offer the ultimate answer many times. Being a civil engineer, I know it happens. Empiric formulas, coefficients etc etc. Almost every graduate out of technical college believes hard in his formulas. But he is in after a tough lesson once his formulas fail and some "uneducated" worker comes with the right answer  . The thruth is in between. I’d say it goes similar with aerodynamics.

Remember the torque effects from 0.33 beta ? Please, do find AH 0.33 and take off in G-10. And do it here. Planes DO feel different. And same programmers did both versions. Could it be they for whatever reason modeled something differently ? Some planes benefit out of it, some don’t.

Don’t get me wrong here, I am not jumping at particular plane or HTC.

I just want the Fw 190 to feel as a WW2 German veteran pilot would describe it.

Take Fw 190 in WB. You will notice it is a lot different in roll. So much inertia that you can call the plane almost unresponsive. I know HTC staf was at iMagic/iEN long time ago. But they did the WB flight model. Others only tweaked with it. Were they wrong then ? Are they wrong now ?

I can say that I like AH Fw 190 much more, in WB its roll rate advantage is hardly existant.

Forgive me if I offended some spirits, I would just like to know the answer. Who is right ? WB, AH 0.33, AH 1.03, AH 1.04 or CFS ? Or at leaast who is closer ?  

Glunz

Flight Model?
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2001, 11:14:00 AM »
Actually, concerning the torque effects, planes in WB and AH feels pretty close. Tried taking off without pedals, almost the same.

As for inverting the 190, here’s the worst scenario. I drop speed down to 120-140 kph IAS, nose slightly high, like landing approach.The left wing has tendency to drop now. If I realize this and start panicking and push the throttle from idle all the way forward, the torque is enough to induce the drop of the left wing. Planes now goes some 90 degrees to the left in roll. Pretty dangerous for a novice at ground level, I’d say.

Could this be the effect Baumann described ?

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Flight Model?
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2001, 12:20:00 PM »
I keep pointing this out, and it keeps being overlooked.

Is "slamming the throttle" in real life the same as slamming it in AH with our simplified engine controls?  I think not, hence AH will not match the cited analogies.  That does not mean that torque effects are not modelled properly in normal flight.

And to answer one of the questions posed above, I think the latest version of AH is the "closest".  Still, they keep on making it better.  

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

"A pig is a jolly companion, Boar, sow, barrow, or gilt --
A pig is a pal, who'll boost your morale, Though mountains may topple and tilt.
When they've blackballed, bamboozled, and burned you, When they've turned on you, Tory and Whig,
Though you may be thrown over by Tabby and Rover, You'll never go wrong with a pig, a pig,
You'll never go wrong with a pig!" -- Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Flight Model?
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2001, 02:15:00 PM »
It's time for HT and Pyro to come clean and make a full confession.

If a group of 50 professional flight simulation programmers working hand in glove with an aircraft manufacturer's engineers and test pilots...

having access to all current design and flight test data can come up with programming that is acceptable to the FAA to certify a simulator as a Class III device (same as an airplane for checkout purposes)...

and will run on a computer setup that only costs about a million dollars....

and can get all that programming done in about three years.....

HOW COME

the six AH employees haven't supplied a "perfect" flight model for WW2 fighters based on nearly non-existent or extremely hard to find test data, that will run on a $700 desktop PC an ENTIRE YEAR after the debut of the beta program?

Come on Pyro or HT...'fess up!

Enquiring minds can't figure this out!

Toad...Enjoying 1.05, looking forward to 1.06!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Glunz

Flight Model?
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2001, 04:14:00 PM »
Toad, I get the point. Yes, they have done remarkable job so far.

But your post kind of goes into a@kissing territory  

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Flight Model?
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2001, 06:06:00 PM »
I guess I'd rather be that than a never-satisfied, always complaining, impolite, disrespectful, never-even-flown-an-airplane-in-RL flight model/game critic expert.

Not a pointed personal comment, just a general observation.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

funked

Flight Model?
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2001, 07:38:00 PM »
I think Niklas got it right.  The prop regulators weren't perfect.  If you change power quickly there should be some RPM fluctuation.

Glunz

Flight Model?
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2001, 12:56:00 AM »
Well, I'd rather be all you state above than an asskisser  

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Flight Model?
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2001, 08:18:00 AM »
and that's just ONE of the differences between you and I.  

Remember old Spiro Agnew?

"In a 1969 speech against war protesters, he said, "A spirit of national masochism prevails, encouraged by an effete corps of impudent snobs who characterize themselves as intellectuals." "In the United States today," Agnew told a 1970 audience in San Diego, "we have more than our share of the nattering nabobs of negativism."

Well, Spiro, we have more than our share in AH as well.

...and if you refuse to "natter" along with them

...if you show a little decency and respect to the guys who make this all possible

Guess what you get called?  

BaD MaNnErS RuLz, DoOds!  

[This message has been edited by Toad (edited 01-03-2001).]