Author Topic: Leonid's Facts Were Right  (Read 1514 times)

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
Leonid's Facts Were Right
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2000, 04:00:00 AM »

Yes,
sometimes there are 10+ italian manned C.205 online playing with Rooks (9pm-12pm, GMT+1).
There are already two squadrons, 1st and 4th Stormo CT.

Moreover, online italian CFS pilots have discovered AH and they (guess what) like it.
Aircraft like the C.205, very popular in Italy, really took a lot of italian customers to HTC.

I'm sure that more IJAF/IJN and a French fighter, like the excellent Dewoitine 520, could carry a lot more Jap/French guys to AH.
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2000, 04:42:00 AM »
Dewoitine 520 excellent? In 1939 yes, but after that, well... The D.520(520 being the designed top speed in km/h) served on both Allied and Axis sides, and on all the European fronts during the war. If AH starts adding early war(1939) planes, I think it would be a good choice, along with the Curtiss Hawk.

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2000, 05:10:00 AM »
The main difference I've seen in the .45 c205 and the .43 and previous versions is the E retention in turns.  Before, one turn and the thing was ready for the cleaners.  It also was not quite the climber it was supposed to be.
It's now a competitive plane; the G-10 should outclimb it, but that's a 109 modelling problem.
Everything else in the AH stable with one engine otta be able to outrun it.
Remember too, it was designed for Italian pilots who were known for their aerobatic proficiency, but not for squad tactics.  It's a great arena plane.
And the anelli di fumo paintjob is a beaut.
When it first came out, I saw a lot of Italian pilots online.  Now that it's competitive, I see even more.  Unlike fans of Russian or Japanese planes, Macchi drivers have nowhere else to go.
And it'll never be a nancy boy plane.  It lacks the HS and UFO-elliptical wings.
Think of it this way:
Amurrican planes are all big and loose-fitting, perhaps to conceal the rampant obesity in our population.  The Juggernaut is flown by someone who'd slouch on the couch in a loose-fitting t-shirt and jeans, with a beer in hand (Not a bad thing IMHO).
Spitfires are a staid design with a certain eccentricity built in.  You can almost see the pilots ankles sticking at.  Nancy boy material.
Now, a Macchi combines elegant lines with a noticeable, yet not too flashy design.  It catches your attention, but does not insult your sense of aesthetics.  This is the plane that, when viewed from an Allied parachute, elicits the comment "Nice ride!"
Call me a Nancy Boy if you must, but I fly a Macchi 'cos, if you'll pardon the offense, "Chicks dig 'em"

[This message has been edited by Dinger (edited 01-11-2000).]

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2000, 05:31:00 AM »

Juzz,
obviously I mean excellent for a 1939-1940 plane set. IMHO, in good hands she could be a tuff foe even for 1941 kites.

The more I think to the plane set the less I like late war kites. From every points of view.
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2000, 09:42:00 AM »
Dinger: Nice reply   Yeah I guess chicks have always like those Italian models.

Gatt:  Remember I usually fly Rook, so I know alot of those Italian pilots, or at least recognize their Squad handles (was over in Bish land with a WB's squaddie). And all those C.205's defending f7 were not the Italian squads.  

Its just become a very popular plane in this version. And alot of it probably has to do with the "publicity" it gets here on the BBS. Nothing wrong with that though.

I honestly don't care what people fly   As long as each of the aircraft have historical strength and weakness. Hell, even the Spitfire is pretty reasonable here in AH, unlike the UFO called a Spitfire in WB's.

I kill em all the same way. Come in with Speed and E, Dive in for a guns pass when they are not looking, and then get the Hell outta Dodge.

Those purty Italian sportplanes explode real nice  

------------------
Vermillion
WB's: (verm--), **MOL**, Men of Leisure,
"Real men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires ;) "