Author Topic: Looking for new toys  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
Re: Looking for new toys
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 11:26:13 AM »
Lol wingnutt that is some set up however I am a simple guy.

Your lucky,
 Im not happy unless im constantly fidgeting or taking something apart, which in the end always results in said thing no longer working and me having to purchase another.

Offline JB11

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 11:40:23 AM »
Shouldn't this been in "Hardware and Software"?  :D

:salute 11
Never abandon the possibility of attack. Attack even from a position of inferiority, to disrupt the enemy's plans. This often results in improving one's own position. - General Adolf Galland, Luftwaffe
Proverbs 3:5,6

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 11:50:02 AM »
I have the st290 now been using it for about 3 years. I have a buddie who doesn't play AH anymore that got pedals and teh x52. He was talking about selling all of it to me for 125.00 Just was wondering if I should spend my money on that or get ch products. Money really isn't the issue. I would just like to be able to program more buttons so i can pretty much get rid of the keyboard. and twisty stick.

Grab the pedals, keep the stick. Use your twist function on the St290 for something else and use the pedal for rudders. Whenever i build up enough funds after i get a new CPU i'll be buying some peds and Track IR.  :salute

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline Jenks

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 12:19:36 PM »
I had a  Saitek X45 HOTAS, that began giving me trouble after about a year or so, The coolie hat was intermittent and the trigger would stick on, emptying my ammo load in one go. I tried contacting Saitek for parts and or repair service with three emails, I never got a reply.

I started looking into CH and Thrustmaster products.  I bought the TM Cougar for a couple of reasons. #1 I owned previous TM products, the F16FLCS for one and loved them. #2 I could see one in person before I bought it and yes the weight is impressive. #3 I found and bought a used set of TM rudder pedals for a few bucks on a whim prior to replacing the Saitek. So I was biased toward it from the start. The CH products were getting good reviews but so was the Cougar.

I've now used the cougar for about 4 years .  The coolie hat began failing after about a year, no problem it was still under warranty and TM sent me new one at no charge. I could have had them replace the switch, but I am quite capable of doing it myself ( I repair audio equipment for a living).
The throttle friction control ( what holds the throttle in place when you take your hand off ) began failing after about 2 years, a minor annoyance. Then the coolie hat failed again, real cheap part to buy and TM got it to me pretty quick, although I had to send a money order to them first, something about them being in Canada.  The X Y axis pots began getting a little buggy about a year ago and are slowly getting worse and guess what? The coolie hat failed again. Now the parts price quote from TM to replace all the parts was very reasonable, I think 20 or 25 bucks, but I'm lazy and haven't felt like repairing it yet. I just programed my views to the 8 way just below the coolie.  Also I'm mulling over doing the hall device mod.

I had noticed that Slapshot had written a macro for the Cougar and when I had a chance to ask him how he liked the Cougar he said he switched to CH and never looked back.
MA  The Flying Circus
     Clown in training

FSO  JG11

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 12:46:03 PM »
I had an x45 that was pretty decent, not great. After a few months it went out, I then bought an x52, a few months later all kinds of problems. So I bought the x52 pro. Again a few months down the road and it went out. I spent hours talking to the reps and e-mailing and researching. Nothing helped. Now I could have sent it back but decided that hey even if they fixed it I would have problems again before long. I went ch a year ago and never looked back. My only regret is why oh why didn't I do this sooner.

Anyone thinking saitek should scan through the history in the Hardware & Software forums. Just tons of complaints about saitek. Almost unreal. Personally I hope Saitek gets it's act together and I sincerely wished MS would have never gotten out of the business. What they would have come up with by now would probably be amazing.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline LCCajun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 12:46:38 PM »
WOW whoever said wife's are bad are wrong. My old lady just agreed to let me get a new joystick,pedals, and trackir. I guess I need to find out she goes to see while I am playing AH hmmmmmmmm.
Ingame ID: Cajon

"SlapShot
There is no shame in putting up a good fight and dieing."
"You never know how strong you are til being strong is the only choice you have" Unknown author

Offline Iron_Cross

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 12:47:10 PM »
Cajun i think it's up to what you can afford and want. Some people love CH, others loev Saitek.  It boils down to how much you want to spend on your new toys.

Alot of people complain about having problems with their X52s while others report no problems for a few years. Although CH is generally the most popular and seeing why it would be a good choice if you have the money to burn. Myself personally, i have a saitek St290 pro twisty stick that i've had for 2 years and running with no problems. And the best thing is, it only cost me $15.  :)

Ugh, I've had two of those sticks.  A week after I purchased the first one, the main trigger button stuck closed.  Two weeks after I plugged in the second one, the main trigger button stuck closed.  Lesson learned, I will never buy another Saitek stick again.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 01:01:48 PM »
WOW whoever said wife's are bad are wrong. My old lady just agreed to let me get a new joystick,pedals, and trackir. I guess I need to find out she goes to see while I am playing AH hmmmmmmmm.

Choose wisely!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 01:22:54 PM »
I have had no problems with my x52------and is that a bong next to the sharpie? :D

Looks like an old glass insulator to me.

Oh and I like my CH gear.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2009, 01:35:37 PM »
Not sure this will help but I've had saitek stuff for over 4 years now and the only problem I ever had was the twist rudder pot. this was solved with the rudderpedals and since then not 1 single problem.
 It's hard to get CH stuff where I live so it wasn't an option for me,btw I heard if ya dont have a set of gorilla hands the CH buttons can be quite a reach,of course solutions for this can be had.On the otherhand{pun intended} the saitek stick has an adjustable handrest so it you have real small hands the X52 will accommodate them.

If price is a factor,may I suggest CH pedals,x52 stick as the saitek pedals are abit more than the CH pedals.
 If price isnt a factor,well CH stick,throttle,saitek throttle quadrant and a saitek control panel this will illuminate the keyboard for all but chatting in text.

YMMV

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2009, 03:00:13 PM »
I think the problem that some of you gentlemens sticks go out or start to malfunction is possibly simple.

Im 18, and I have small hands so I don't jerk or put a lot of stress on my stick when I fly. I give it smooth, firm imputs. Now I know that the average ah player age  is about 30, and I can bet most of you have very large hands that tend to put a lot of stress on the stick, causin it to go loose, stick, etc.  I think ch products are much firmer and have the ability to take A lot more abuse than saitek products. Just a hunch :)

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009, 03:05:22 PM »
I think the problem that some of you gentlemens sticks go out or start to malfunction is possibly simple.

Im 18, and I have small hands so I don't jerk or put a lot of stress on my stick when I fly. I give it smooth, firm imputs. Now I know that the average ah player age  is about 30, and I can bet most of you have very large hands that tend to put a lot of stress on the stick, causin it to go loose, stick, etc.  I think ch products are much firmer and have the ability to take A lot more abuse than saitek products. Just a hunch :)

Saitek sucks, no matter how you slice it.   They got enough of my money.   

I have a CH Fighterstick and CH Pedals.   I'll get the Throttle eventually.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 03:11:03 PM »
I've never heard of anyone going from CH to anything else...
SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 03:29:12 PM »
just get urself a logitech 3dpro there cheap and work fine, twistys are for real men

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 03:47:39 PM »
just get urself a logitech 3dpro there cheap and work fine, twistys are for real men
I bought a logitech once,five minutes in to using it, it found its way to my junk closet,and has not been out,So anyone wants a new logitech let me know. ha ha
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs