Author Topic: At least one Axis bomber?  (Read 2681 times)

Offline wells

• Copper Member
At least one Axis bomber?
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2000, 04:42:00 PM »
Snakeseyes,

I thought the Do-335 had the first ejection seat/tail/prop...hehe

I like that forward swept jet powered one...what was it?  Ju-287 or 288..one of those

It had B-24 nosewheels!  It could do about 350 mph with fixed gear!  The final production model would have been pressurized, retractable gear, 6 BMW turbojets with a speed estimated at over 500 mph

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2000, 09:05:00 PM »
I have only seen the night-fighter version of the Ta-154 and the He-162 described as having ejection seats, but the Do-335 might have had it too. I got no information on its cockpit installation.

That experimental jet is the Ju-287. It used the front and tail of a 188, and would have been fitted with to large turbojets giving a thrust of up to 7,000 lbs, but these were never completed, so prototypes flew with 4 or 6 'ordinary' turbo-jets. Most significant was however liked stated its wings which had a leading edge of 25 degrees FORWARD. It sure looks fascinating. Max speed at 529 mph.

And when we already are dreaming  , why not swap the Ar-234B with a C-model with 2 extra jets. Max speed at 546 mph.

Back to reality I would go for the Ju88 too. Very versatile and many variants which should make it easier for HTC to come up with new variants of it fairly fast, like done with the 109.

------------------
LLv34 Snefens
RO, Lentolaivue 34

Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

funked

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2000, 04:30:00 AM »
The Do 335 had an ejection seat.  Like all other such devices of the time, it was not exactly trusted by the pilots.  

funked

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2000, 04:31:00 AM »
Meteor Mk. III would be great.  Me 262 and He 162 would outperform them, but they would be competitive.  P-80 would be a worthy opponent though!

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 01-20-2000).]

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2000, 09:30:00 AM »
Hmmm, I don't see much mention of bombers in those last 4 posts...  

Like funked said, the Do335 had an ejection seat. And the rear prop, and the upper and lower tailfins, and the canopy...
Particularly fascinating was the story that when two prototypes came to grief the bodies of their pilots were found to be devoid of arms. The story, recounted to me by a German pilot, alleged that the loss of the upper limbs had resulted when the unfortunate victims had gripped two inclined levers at cockpit sill level and pulled them aft to activate the hood jettison system. This action released the hood effectively, but since the levers were attached to the hood, a firm grip meant, so the story went, that the hands and arms were wrenched off with the rapidly departing canopy. This story made something of an impression on me, and I clambered into the cockpit filled with curiosity. Sure enough, the notorious hood jettison levers were there.
E.Brown, Wings of the Luftwaffe.

Now, no more experimental or jet talk in here!  

JEJ

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2000, 08:24:00 PM »
>Well for balance I guess we'll have to have a meteor or two. They were active in England chaseing V-1's at the time.

On July 12, 1944 two Gloster Meteors were delivered to 616 Squadron. Operational clearance was received on July 27, the first V-1 being destroyed on August 4. Apart from V-1s the Meteor never flew in air combat during WWII. They did fly on ground attack missions, their first operational sortie being on April 16, 1945.

JEJ http://www.redtwo.demon.co.uk/616/Welcome.htm

bomboy

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2000, 02:05:00 PM »
If earlier planes are being included then i cant think of anything more fun than a ju87

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2000, 02:16:00 PM »
Fun for who, bomboy. For Stuka pilot or its killer ?  

Quality, not quantity for LW, pls.

[This message has been edited by Hristo (edited 01-31-2000).]

funked

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2000, 02:24:00 PM »
Hristo, think "Scenarios", not open-quake-arena.  

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2000, 02:52:00 PM »
But which scenario? I guess Barbarossa will work, since we will likely never see any pre/early-war Russian planes in AH, so fighter opposition will be historically low.  

[This message has been edited by juzz (edited 01-31-2000).]

Offline JimBear

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2000, 03:24:00 PM »
Ju-88  It's about time that the Richards made an appearance. =)