Author Topic: Pirates of the Pacific - Screenshot Art !!! UPDATE!!!  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Pirates of the Pacific - Screenshot Art !!! UPDATE!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 02:14:54 AM »
Really? I always assumed it to be a fairly universal thing, besides the A6M3 Model 32 being called the Hamp.

When the Allies first encountered the A6M3 Model 32, they thought it was a new model and gave it the name "Hamp".  When it was soon realized that the Model 32 was just a variant of the Zero, "Hamp" was dropped and given the Allied code name of "Zeke 32".

Kind of a funny story behind the first Allied name designation.  When Allies first encountered the Model 32, they thought it was a new model because the changes to the appearance.  Supposedly, the original code name was "Hap" in honor of General "Hap" Arnold but he strongly objected to having his name associated with a Japanese plane and a "M" was added to make the name "Hamp".  That's why sometimes you'll see the Model 32 referred to as "Hap / Hamp".

Or it could be that all Zeros are Zekes and all Zekes are Zeros.  Allied code name designations for fighters were all male names, so Zeke (being a male name) was used to name the Zero since it was the A6M Type 0.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 04:29:05 AM »
I think Zero might also come from Japanese pilots calling it the "Rei-Sen" Rei meaning Zero I believe and I think Sen might just be one of those suffixes the Japanese use.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 06:56:21 AM »
...pilots calling it the "Rei-Sen" Rei meaning Zero I believe and I think Sen might just be one of those suffixes the Japanese use.

Would be cool if "Sen" means tolerance :D