Author Topic: YAK9-U vs. F4U-1A  (Read 2326 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: YAK9-U vs. F4U-1A
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 10:55:34 PM »
if f4u pilots didnt have glass engines....

The ease with which the Corsair's engine gets knocked out is a total joke. The R-2800 was renowned for its ability to take a beating and could continue humming along with several cylinder heads blown off, (speaking of losing oil....) but in here a single .303 can put it out of action (anyone remember the photo posted around here of a P-47 that had a solid coat of oil on the top surface from cowl to tail, but STILL managed to fly home under power?). Meanwhile I've hosed Merlins down with Hispano fire and watched him fly off without even trailing smoke.

The P-47 and F6F have the EXACT SAME ENGINE (granted, in slightly different configurations, but it's STILL the same engine) but they don't suffer from this.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 04:15:22 AM »
Doesn't the B17 use the same engine, too?  Or was it different?
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 06:43:15 AM »
I think that the turning rate of the F4U's and P51's is over the top.  I have been out turned by them when using a spit 9 in a flat turn near the ground.  For such heavy planes to turn like that is BS. But that's probably the flap thing.  Probably not enough drag in the FM.  The F4Uers know they have the flap edge thing so dont feel guilty about using what ever tactics work.   Check out the weights and wing loading of the different AC and you will see what I mean.  The F4U is like 4 to 5 thousand pounds heavier.  Yep, its time to call the FM police.

It's not exactly rare for people to complain about the F4U's being able to turn "too" well with their Spit IX's, but a Mustang?  I don't mean to disrespect you, sir, but the problem is on your end.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 07:14:30 AM »
turn the stall limiter off  :D
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 07:36:04 AM »

I think the B-26 did. B-17 used one of the Wright engines, i think.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 08:36:28 AM »
Concerning Hoing...

Do you think your enemy would not?

During the battle I agreed NOT to attempt to Ho him over the 200 channel buffer and he did the same.  This became all the more a battle of precision and tactics (which I lacked in the Yak).  He had the opportunity to Ho a few times and did not. 

Also, the battle was 1 vs. 1.  No horde in range to assist either of us.  This made it all the more interesting.

Guys, these are some really good posts.  I have learned a lot about flying in general from your responses.

Great thanks,

Slade  :salute
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 03:38:12 PM »
Don't underestimate a f4u-1 either, hehehehehe :devil :devil.  It may be slow accelerating and not as great in the climb, but with the right pilot in it, it can be just as deadly as any other hogs.  I do believe that the -1 hog can dive faster then the others and retain its E better except for -4. 
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2009, 04:00:48 PM »
Don't underestimate a f4u-1 either, hehehehehe :devil :devil.  It may be slow accelerating and not as great in the climb, but with the right pilot in it, it can be just as deadly as any other hogs.  I do believe that the -1 hog can dive faster then the others and retain its E better except for -4. 

In the tests I ran the 1A holds E better than the 4, probably because of the reduced drag.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 10:57:13 PM »

B-17s used turbocharged R-1820s (FM-2 and SBD used various versions of the same basic engine), B-24 used turbocharged R-1830s (F4F-4 uses a supercharged version).

A-20/Boston, B-25 and TBM used the R-2600.

All other radial powered US fighters in the game utilize various versions of the R-2800. These range from the 2,000 hp B series version in the F4U-1 to the 2,800 hp C series version in the P-47N. The B-26 was also powered by the R-2800.

My regards,

Widewing

My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2009, 02:25:28 PM »
B-17s used turbocharged R-1820s (FM-2 and SBD used various versions of the same basic engine), B-24 used turbocharged R-1830s (F4F-4 uses a supercharged version).

A-20/Boston, B-25 and TBM used the R-2600.

All other radial powered US fighters in the game utilize various versions of the R-2800. These range from the 2,000 hp B series version in the F4U-1 to the 2,800 hp C series version in the P-47N. The B-26 was also powered by the R-2800.

My regards,

Widewing

Ahh, Thank You Sir!
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2009, 03:17:48 AM »
Only thing you can do is as gavagai said. You HAVE to get him low and slow, that's really the only state where the F4U is vulnerable: she dives too well, retains E too well, and handles too well at mid to high speeds. A Corsair stick that knows how to work those traits is a nasty opponent to face, and it's precisely why the F4U is one of the first planes to be mentioned when asked about the best plane in Aces High.

I would like to at my 2 cents if i can...SAxman is right you have to get the F4u slow and use the Yaks acceleration.  The distinction i would like to make is............... Do not turn with the F4u when u get her slow..she will clean your clock in the rolling scissors  when slow. Use the yaks acceleration and climb rate to get above the f4u.  You have to keep your speed up in the yak.

<S>
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2009, 02:31:22 PM »
Here is an interesting read on an actual encounter of two bomb laden F4U-4's and 4 Yak-3/9's over Korea at low level. The last couple of paragraphs are actually from the official AAR Report from the Navy. I used to have it but I have no idea what I did with it.

http://www.history.navy.mil/a-korea/caug51-26.pdf

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2009, 09:55:16 PM »
fully loaded f4u-4 out turn yak3  i  id like to see that. 

<S>
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2009, 09:45:42 AM »
fully loaded f4u-4 out turn yak3  i  id like to see that. 

<S>

Fully loaded at 160-180knts out turning a Yak....

Also, personally, I think it would be a bad idea to try to out climb an F4U-4 in AH2.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay