Author Topic: Computer Freezing Up  (Read 2381 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Computer Freezing Up
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 12:28:07 PM »
My guesses are heat, failing memory (graphics or system), hardware conflict or driver conflict not nessesarily in that order.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 12:38:10 PM »
Odbal have you tried removing and cleaning the video drivers and installing them fresh?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline ODBAL

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 01:29:37 PM »
All of my fans are working fine, the computer is fairly new and has the clear side on it so I can see inside the computer.  I cleaned the fans out not to long ago, I don't think it is a heat problem. 

I have always used the USB headphones in AH, not saying this couldnt be it, just saying I don't know why it would suddenly be it.

When it freezes it stops everything in its tracks, captures the screen like a picture (no greying out).  Nothing moves.  Ctrl+alt+Del will not work, I have to push the reset or power buttons.

I will have to check what other programs I am running.  Do I do this with the ctrl, alt, del? And is there a way to save that window as a file and put it on here?

ODBAL

39th FS "Cobra in the Clouds"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Armed & Lubricated)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 02:01:45 PM »
All of my fans are working fine, the computer is fairly new and has the clear side on it so I can see inside the computer.  I cleaned the fans out not to long ago, I don't think it is a heat problem. 

I have always used the USB headphones in AH, not saying this couldnt be it, just saying I don't know why it would suddenly be it.

When it freezes it stops everything in its tracks, captures the screen like a picture (no greying out).  Nothing moves.  Ctrl+alt+Del will not work, I have to push the reset or power buttons.

I will have to check what other programs I am running.  Do I do this with the ctrl, alt, del? And is there a way to save that window as a file and put it on here?

Yes, you can use control alt delete, then do screen captures (print screen button) of the applications and processes tabs.  You can expand the box to get all the processes in one screen shot, then post it.

Offline Animl

• Copper Member
      • Animal Tactics
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 04:49:56 PM »

1) Have you scanned for viruses or spyware lately?

If not, that would be the next thing I would consider. My red flag is that Ctrl+alt+Del doesn't work. Unless you don't have Administrator privileges and someone else disabled it on you. Disabling applets like this is SOP for spyware\viruses as it prevents you from finding their stuff and disabling it. Just a guesss. Eliminate that possibility and scan it for both Viruses and Spyware.

If you're not sure if the software you use is any good the below are good free products for spyware.
http://www.superantispyware.com/
http://www.safer-networking.org/  (SpyBot)

2) In another post I noticed you said 38 processes were running>?. If this is under Windows XP that's too many for gaming >IMO<. The more you have running, the more chances you have for glitches. When I run a game I have between 7 and 11. Especially if some of those items are Virus\Spyware software.

We can tackle that next, after #1 above checks out.

3) Always make sure your system and\or drive where your game exist,.. is cleaned and defragged. Many glitches are born from a fragmented drives, especially loading graphics. However, I don't think that is your issue.

I have a few ideas, but *I* would think that a good place to start. OR Unless Skuzzy spots something in your posted DX Diag.
Animl (from the ashes of Air Warrior nation) http://home.comcast.net/~animl/

Offline 20mmrain

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 05:30:18 PM »
I recently Up dated My video card and Drivers and am having problems like this!!!! WHat did you do to fix this???? (asking the guy who posted Video card Driver upgrade?)DEnHolm Thanks:)
Spitfire's Are only Called Noob Planes By the People Who Can't Beat Them!!!

Offline Animl

• Copper Member
      • Animal Tactics
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »
I recently Up dated My video card and Drivers and am having problems like this!!!! WHat did you do to fix this???? (asking the guy who posted Video card Driver upgrade?)DEnHolm Thanks:)

Depends on your video card model.

If that's all you did was change drivers then I would try rolling back to the older version previously installed. Especially if it's an older Nvidia card. Some of the older Nvidia cards conflict with new drivers. Sometimes the new driver is asking the older card to do something it can't,... AND then you have some companies turn out bogus updates.

If you roll back it's always a good measure to get a driver cleaner and clean out all of the updated\removed driver bits and pieces.

The rule of thumb is to always keep up on current driver versions,...but once in a great while you get exceptions depending on the model\age of the card.

Did you get the updated driver from the card manufacturer website, or from the chip set company like Nvidia? just wondering.

Just guessing.

Animl
Animl (from the ashes of Air Warrior nation) http://home.comcast.net/~animl/

Offline ODBAL

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2009, 07:09:11 PM »
OK, I did the print screen thing, or I brought up my Task manager and hit the print screen button but it didn't do anything?  What am I missing?
ODBAL

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 07:20:13 PM »
you have to open an art program like paint, or gimp, or photoshop, clip the "paste" selection under the "open" tab of the program and as long as its still saved in the memories it will put it up. Then you'll have to post is at photobucket .com

Offline K-KEN

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2009, 07:21:34 PM »
There is always setting the System Restore in motion and going back to a known good time it worked!  Just as a last resort. Just did that to my new builder because the nVidia 181.22 drivers hosed me. <shrugs>
I haven't got enough running on the PC yet as far as programs, but I do have a lot compared to some. (games) I have all my antivirus running, one joystick configured, and basically thats it....
System Restore is simple and can be your friend.

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
38 processes runnin in back ground is to much
16 to 19 is good for xp
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline ODBAL

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2009, 07:30:08 PM »
Here is my process screen.  Which ones can I shut down and still use my computer for AH and general internet browsing?  Running pingplotter now.

ODBAL

Offline ODBAL

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2009, 07:35:39 PM »
Here is my pingplotter.  Been running for a few minutes...

And here is one of me shooting my bow.  Not sure if this helps either? If not, I have one of me shooting dual pistols, or Halle Berry in her underwear.

ODBAL

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2009, 08:28:03 PM »
Hey dude...  Honestly (because I've had problems with many PCCHIPS brand motherboards) I'd guess that there's an issue with your board..  I've had the same things you're talking about..
PC CHIPS are pretty cheaply made boards..  I think they're made in China IIRC.  I remember reading something about the caps they use undervolting or overvolting after awhile..
I'll search for it..  It was a few years ago..  Anyhow, I guess it's pretty common in their boards..  I'd bet ya that if you switched mother boards, you'd solve the problem...  I know it's a big deal and am quite aware of what's involved..  But in the long run, I think it's what you'll have to do anyway..  I've never heard good things about PC CHIPS boards..  And my experiences with them have not been good either..  Best of luck in this situation...  Up The Irons!! :rock
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2009, 10:56:50 PM »

Did you uninstall the old drivers first?  If you didn't they probably left behind a file or two and it's now causing a conflict with the new driver.  If you didn't, uninstall the new driver, reinstall the old one then uninstall it, then reinstall the new one or, uninstall the new driver then run driver cleaner then reinstall it.

ODBAL, could you zoom the file in a little more before posting it?   :rofl  Or you can go here www.blackviper.com to see what's safe to turn off for your O/S.  Anything not listed at Black Viper is something you installed and isn't needed to run your sytem.

The ping plot can be saved as a file and just copied and pasted onto the BBs.