Author Topic: Computer Freezing Up  (Read 2380 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Computer Freezing Up
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2009, 02:49:56 AM »
Weak system? Really?  This computer is not that old, not that it was the latest and greatest when I bought it.  And AH doesn't seem to be that graphic intense of a game.  I have like 36 processes running but I have no idea which ones I can turn off. 

Did you go to blackviper?  They spell it out pretty clearly.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2009, 10:32:12 AM »
Weak system? Really?  This computer is not that old, not that it was the latest and greatest when I bought it.  And AH doesn't seem to be that graphic intense of a game.  I have like 36 processes running but I have no idea which ones I can turn off. 

NO! your system isn't weak, DktrEvils system is weak. Your I think has a heat problem, thats way I want you to try the fan idea. If you were locking up after a half hour, the fan might push it to a couple of hours. If it works like that then we have to find out if its your video card, or motherboard thats over heating.

BlackVipers page is a great help in figuring out which to kill and which to leave alone. He list most of the common ones and what to do with them. For those he doesn't mention, google it. The first couple of hits on google usually is enough to let you know if you should kill it, or leave it alone.

Offline ODBAL

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2009, 09:31:51 AM »
NO! your system isn't weak, DktrEvils system is weak. Your I think has a heat problem, thats way I want you to try the fan idea. If you were locking up after a half hour, the fan might push it to a couple of hours. If it works like that then we have to find out if its your video card, or motherboard thats over heating.

BlackVipers page is a great help in figuring out which to kill and which to leave alone. He list most of the common ones and what to do with them. For those he doesn't mention, google it. The first couple of hits on google usually is enough to let you know if you should kill it, or leave it alone.

I hate computers.... On an unrelated topic, I got up and flew around a bit without any problems the other night.  I did go to Black Viper, but only shut off 1 thingy majig.  I don't think it is a heat problem as I can turn my computer on and fly right away with the same results, plus it has fans out the wazoo that are working and cleaned out regularly.  As to black viper.  Do I just look down the "Safe" column and anything labeled "disabled" on that list I can highlight and click "end process" and be OK?
ODBAL

39th FS "Cobra in the Clouds"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Armed & Lubricated)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2009, 01:28:54 PM »
If you have a cap or chip going bad it doesn't take a lot of heat to get it to screw up. Blowing air strait onto the MB reduces temps a lot, but really isn't practical, but for a test you might see a difference.

Going to THIS PAGE has the 32 bit WinXP suggested settings. I've never heard of any probelms coming out of BlackVipers stuff so any of the three columns on the right are "good" settings. If you are nervous about turning off the wrong thing, get FSAutoStart. and use it to turn things off. If you turn the wrong thing off with FSautostart all you have to do is reboot your computer and everything is reset to the way it was.