Author Topic: "View first Unread"  (Read 420 times)

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
"View first Unread"
« on: February 24, 2009, 10:12:15 PM »

I'd love to have a "View First Unread Post" button available for the Forums.  As in-  I've read 13 of the current 27 posts in a thread, by clicking this button the screen would flash right to the first post I haven't read yet in that particular thread.

Maybe this feature is already available here, and I don't know how to find it??

I have this feature on several of the other Forums I hang out at, and have come to love/depend on it.  It sure saves a lot of time trying to figure out which page/post I need to find to "catch up" in a particular thread...
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
Re: "View first Unread"
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 12:14:34 AM »
i hit the little blue "new" next to the topic and it normally goes to the newest one. Maybe your browser doesnt show it though
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 03:32:33 AM »
i hit the little blue "new" next to the topic and it normally goes to the newest one. Maybe your browser doesnt show it though

at he said.  Just figured that out recently.  When finished reading that thread, click the forum above.

IE: Aces High II Bulletin Board>General Forums>Wishlist>"View first Unread"

If I was just reading this, when finished I will click on Wishlist to continue in this section.  If someone else posts in this thread, an new new will show up.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 04:13:24 AM »
Ahh!  That works!  TY!  I figured that meant new posts, but didn't realize it would take me to the first I hadn't read...
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline CAVPFCDD

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 10:20:28 AM »
start with the last new post on the list then use the "previous" and "next" keys that are on the top and bottom right of the posts, i believe it takes you to your last unread post, it takes me to the middle of threads so i assume thats what its doing.

my method is I go to the last new post down at the bottom and his previous untill i see the rules, rinse and repeat

only problem no matter what you do the first thread you click on is going to start at the first post, but I believe once you use those keys you go to the newest you havent seen.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace." - Duane Allman

"Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." Jerry Garcia

Offline CAVPFCDD

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 10:21:51 AM »
start with the last new post on the list then use the "previous" and "next" keys that are on the top and bottom right of the posts, i believe it takes you to your last unread post, it takes me to the middle of threads so i assume thats what its doing.

my method is I go to the last new post down at the bottom and his previous untill i see the rules, rinse and repeat

only problem no matter what you do the first thread you click on is going to start at the first post, but I believe once you use those keys you go to the newest you havent seen.

^                  ^
im guessing this is working for you?
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace." - Duane Allman

"Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." Jerry Garcia

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 02:37:51 PM »
No, the "previous" and "next" keys don't do anything I'd like them to do.  They jump me out of the thread I'm in and into a different thread.  I don't read every thread (I judge them by the title, hehe), but pick and choose the ones I want to read.  I've tried the "previous" and "next" buttons, and am quite satisfied that I won't find a use for them.  They'd work for me if I read every post in a thread and wanted to skip into the next thread, but I've never wanted to do that.

However, the "New" button is working very well now that I've figured out that it actually does something.  In my other forums that "new" just means there are new posts- clicking on it doesn't take me to the first new post I haven't read in that thread.  In my other Forums I need to click on the thread to open it, and then click on "View First Unread" to automatically skip ahead in that thread to the first post I haven't read.  The "New" key here works basically the same.
MtnMan

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 02:41:33 PM »
That new button is sweet :)
-AoM-