Author Topic: Hack, Feb 25 2009  (Read 2028 times)

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Re: Hack, Feb 25 2009
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2009, 04:19:23 AM »
You had icons turned off?
Check in the film if he was friendly or not. Did the base change hands while he was landing?
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2009, 05:04:34 AM »
I saw the film as well, this seemed very weird.  I don't think it was a hack, as the player didn't really seem to be doing anything productive in the duration of the film.

It was a P51D in the mid-war arena and the icon was green, but all that was there was the bishop icon where the name should be.  It'd be interesting to see what that player saw from his end, because when you went into his a/c in the film, it had recorded his head movements (that's why I figure it was human, and not A.I.) and all the cons around him appeared red (I'm assuming because it was recording from Tuk's "point of view").  The ack seemed to go right through him, whereas usually friendlies can still be hit by ack if unlucky enough to get in it's line of fire (I've died this way).

From what I understand, usually when there is a log-in issue, the player will appear correctly, but the damage will not record correctly.  This was literally like a little ghost pony flying around doing... well really nothing...  So it was like Casper the friendly ghost pony...

There is no reason to get huffy over this thread, and I don't think it should be locked.  He wasn't accusing any one person of hacking, and he didn't post the film in the thread.  Sure the title could've been a little different, but usually first reactions to something like a P-51D in the mid-war arena is usually a "hack."

I would be interested to know what causes it just out of my sheer nerdy curiosity.  So Skuzzy, if ya roll through, and if the information isn't "classified" (for a lack of a better word...), it'd be cool to know! :)
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
Way back when, any plane whose info (other than its position in the arena) that hadn't been updated yet (usually happened when you logged on and roster still filling up) was in sight, it would show up as a bish P51D.  So, auto ack being a front end thing, youd have what was really a C47 show up as a P51D, landing at 80mph and barely any flare, then dropping troops at the map room... It kinda sounds like the OP. If the OP sighting was a friendly without updated info, he might have shown up as an enemy 51D drawing ack, but only from the OP's front end.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline haasehole

• Copper Member
      • http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/The13thMidwestPilotGroup/
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2009, 09:02:29 AM »
    I also saw the film wonder if someone wasn't testing or something. There was no name icon or pilot name in film viewer the  friendly pony lands @ eny base. Then upps a red icon f6f again with no pilot name in film viewer. the f6f drops eggs on tuk151 then there is a name (not gonna say it) shot you down     :confused:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 10:06:27 AM by haasehole »
~GELU~CRUOR~IUGUOLO~o2b1ace~
             13 Midwest Pilot Group
                  WD40 - F.S.O.

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2009, 10:01:44 AM »
So dumb question... what would you call a hamburger in Germany?

Le Royale!

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2009, 01:21:18 PM »
Le Royale!

wouldn't that be "Das Royalle"?

(with chees of course)
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2009, 01:29:00 PM »
Come to think of it ,i was flying around and heard some Gv'ers talking ,that one of our guys looking at another of our guys in a t 34 but he was seeing a pony rolling around shooting tank shells out of the nose............But HTC don't worry about that, or the flying trucks and trains, don't worry about the sheep ...just make the water look beater. :aok
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2009, 01:32:54 PM »
I've seen gvs' spawn on the runway & sounding like planes. When they rolled they suddenly turned into an aircraft. I always assumed that their last sorte was a gv run & the system didn't update until they rolled the aircraft. <shrug>
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2009, 02:54:05 PM »
I had the same thing almost against an f6f. I was in b-26s. I took of both wings, his tail, and flamed him. After I used up all my tailgun ammo he shot all 3 of my bombers down and then landed the kills.  I sent the film in. Skuzzy replied promptly. It is a known bug ,even though the guy got kill credit, upon landing the game boots you.  Still frustrating but it wasn't anything "hacked".  Poor guy prolly thought he was in an ubercat.... :noid
Yeah, I still remember the name of the pilot in question, and he's still around, so I'm pretty sure he wasn't hacking. I do wonder if he knew he was wingless though. Worst thing about it was, the more I shot him up, the smaller the remaining "target" got. After a while it was like fighting a 400mph seagull. :D
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2009, 03:14:24 PM »
I fly a pony threw ack all the time with no hits...But i don't land on the enemy runway.

The ol' give it a little rudder trick aye...... 

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2009, 03:29:40 PM »
Rudder? ha ha, no just 500 mph.
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2009, 03:42:06 PM »
Way back when, any plane whose info (other than its position in the arena) that hadn't been updated yet (usually happened when you logged on and roster still filling up) was in sight, it would show up as a bish P51D.  So, auto ack being a front end thing, youd have what was really a C47 show up as a P51D, landing at 80mph and barely any flare, then dropping troops at the map room... It kinda sounds like the OP. If the OP sighting was a friendly without updated info, he might have shown up as an enemy 51D drawing ack, but only from the OP's front end.
Auto-ack is client side?!  I didn't know that!  I guess that would make sense though... interesting!  I like information! :)
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2009, 04:34:41 PM »
That almost sounds like HTC staff checking something......  Think TA rules but just for the admin in MA.  Then again, who knows.

I sent the film upstairs.  P51 flyin into a enemy base while auto ack shot it without any hits, then it landed on the run-way, had no name beside the icon.. :huh
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2009, 04:35:14 PM »
Yeah, I still remember the name of the pilot in question, and he's still around, so I'm pretty sure he wasn't hacking. I do wonder if he knew he was wingless though. Worst thing about it was, the more I shot him up, the smaller the remaining "target" got. After a while it was like fighting a 400mph seagull. :D
and the fact that I unloaded 1600 rounds of .50cal out of the tail right into his beak makes it even more funny..now that is. At the time I was extremely pissed.  :furious
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2009, 04:58:21 PM »
Auto-ack is client side?!  I didn't know that!  I guess that would make sense though... interesting!  I like information! :)
As far as I know!  That's why you have stuff like puffy hitting someone on your end, but someone else saying they've got puffy all over em... Prolly also why you sometimes see CV planes sitting on invisible ships (the same ship you're "supposed" to be on).
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you