Author Topic: F6F turn handling  (Read 565 times)

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
F6F turn handling
« on: December 30, 2000, 06:02:00 PM »
I haven't flown it much but I have noticed a quirk that is peculiar to the F6 - could it be my setup or is the Flight Model.
I was in a scrap with an f4 and slowed him in to a turn fight "oh goody" I thought. However with the speed at about 220 (not real sure but in that area), I had the stick hard back and settled into a turn with I gues 70deg of bank, and that was it - no stall warning, no blackout, stick on the stop and the f4 turning inside me.

Anyone else seen this??

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
F6F turn handling
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2000, 06:05:00 PM »
If you had the stick on the stop at 200mph and no stall, your joystick calibration must be off.

ra

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
F6F turn handling
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2000, 07:26:00 PM »
Probably stick spike or miscalibration (ill go for stick spike)

Offline fats

• Copper Member
F6F turn handling
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2000, 11:40:00 PM »
scaled down and you got trim off at the other end? In WB 109 I had to change from level cruise setting to lot up trim to be able to even stall the 109.

// fats

Offline blur

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
F6F turn handling
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2000, 10:13:00 AM »
The first time I flew the F6F I noticed that's its FM seemed very "twitchy" under 200 mph. I didn't see anyone else mention it so I thought I'd re-check my joystick settings. Under 200 mph it has a vicious snap roll and if I don't let up on the stick immediately I'll enter a fast spin.

I would expect these flight characteristics from an FW-190 but I was under the impression the Hellcat was more docile at low speeds seeing it was a carrier a/c.

Sorrow[S=A]

F6F turn handling
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2000, 01:16:00 PM »
TBM is like this too, the other night I was watching my brother play online in one. He got jumped by cobra in an F6F and managed to dadge enough to whip it into a knife fight.

Dumped his torp and turned roundy roundy. It seemed unnaturally hard for him to get his turn inside with 1 notch of flaps, and when cobra did a hi yoyo he blew his shot for a kill (I laughed). What blew me away though was that when he crossed into a stall there was literally no warning, buzzZZ boink. At 210 mph it had the same amount of warning I would expect from an I-16! Did not seem at all to me like the forgiving TBM I have read about.

(BTW Cobra he cursed at you for good 2 1/2 minutes as you had allready killed him like 5 times   )

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
F6F turn handling
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2000, 03:44:00 PM »
I too have augered due to the "snap-roll" in the F6f....no warning whatsoever.