Author Topic: F4U-4 vs Spitfire 14  (Read 11114 times)

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
F4U-4 vs Spitfire 14
« on: February 28, 2009, 03:05:55 PM »
I am currently trying to chose a new main fighter. And my two top competitors are F4U-4 and Spitfire 14.
If you guys had to chose ONE aircraft to fly all the time, which one would it be? (if not looking at the perks, ability to take of a CV, or ability to carry ord)

thanks
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: F4U-4 vs Spitfire 14
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 03:12:40 PM »
Hands down.... F4U-4.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline NOT

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 03:13:57 PM »
-4 eats spit14 for lunch, really is a no brainer.

NOT

AKNOT

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 03:15:55 PM »
I've been flying the spit14 as my main ride this tour, she has her quirks but is competitive if you fly conservatively.  

If i had to choose on fighter performance alone I would fly the f4u4 because she is more survivable and handles beautifuly at all speed ranges, unlike the spit14 which is very squirrely at low speeds.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 03:19:51 PM »
I've been flying the spit14 as my main ride this tour, she has her quirks but is competitive if you fly conservatively.  

If i had to choose on fighter performance alone I would fly the f4u4 because she is more survivable and handles beautifuly at all speed ranges, unlike the spit14 which is very squirrely at low speeds.

Also, the XIV can't roll at high speed.  If I wanted lots of kills and few deaths, F4U-4 is it.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 03:30:20 PM »
Nothing can beat a U4 in the game, so it should be a no brainer.
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 03:44:22 PM »
I'd say the La-7 has about a 50/50 shot at winning a fight with an F4U-4.  Maybe a little less than that.  Been a while since I did it, so I forgot exactly what the results were, but me and Widewing played around F4U-4 vs La-7 and I don't remember it being a landslide either way. 

I'd say a Spixteen would probably have a better than even shot at killing an F4U-4 one on one, if the F4U-4 fought.

But between the F4U-4 and the Spit 14 I'd say the F4U-4 hands down.  The Spit 14 shouldn't even be a perk plane.

If the F4U flaps didn't turn it into a Spitfire, I'd say the F4U-4 wouldn't even deserve it.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 04:02:55 PM »
F4U-4. Has too many advantages across the board.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 04:42:50 PM »
F4U-4 is the best prop fighter in the game.

I don't know why the Spit XIV is still perked.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 06:58:45 PM »
I am currently trying to chose a new main fighter. And my two top competitors are F4U-4 and Spitfire 14.
If you guys had to chose ONE aircraft to fly all the time, which one would it be? (if not looking at the perks, ability to take of a CV, or ability to carry ord)

thanks
Being both a spitfire and F4U fighter pilot, Ive got to say the spit could be surprisingly better than the F4U sometimes. Unfortunately, the Spitfire would lose for a kill:death ratio. I'd say 2.5:1 for the F4U and about 0.75:1 for the spit.

-FYB
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 07:00:26 PM by FYB »
Most skill based sport? -
The sport of understanding women.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 07:28:06 PM »
I'd say 2.5:1 for the F4U and about 0.75:1 for the spit.

-FYB

Well thats in your case...the spit14 got the means to do some slaughters if used correctly. But allover the F4U4 is better. It got More range with DTs, more ammo, a better top speed and is a better bnz plane in general.

Lets not start the perk thing on the spit14 cause we all know it should be perked as it is (90 gal drop tank ?) :devil
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 07:31:42 PM by Noir »
now posting as SirNuke

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 08:09:27 PM »
thanks for the input guys

Well thats in your case...the spit14 got the means to do some slaughters if used correctly. But allover the F4U4 is better. It got More range with DTs, more ammo, a better top speed and is a better bnz plane in general.

I would say that I have no problem doing good in a spitfire. But you know there are some moments when it's really hard to survive, like 1 vs 5. And thous are the ones where I usually lose my perk planes.

Also alot of you guys said that F4U-4 is much better that spit 14 hands down. Did you guys take into account that -4 has only 1 internal fuel tank, which means there is 1 spot on that aircraft that you can hit the take it out of commission. (which is why I don't fly planes with a single radiator) 
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 08:20:45 PM »
Also alot of you guys said that F4U-4 is much better that spit 14 hands down. Did you guys take into account that -4 has only 1 internal fuel tank, which means there is 1 spot on that aircraft that you can hit the take it out of commission. (which is why I don't fly planes with a single radiator) 

F4U-4 can be hit in its single main fuel tank, Spit XIV can lose its single radiator. Not much difference.. if you neglect the fact that overall the F4U can take a dam lot more punishment than the Spit.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 08:25:11 PM »
Spit XIV can lose its single radiator. Not much difference..

No it can't. Late war spitfires have 2 radiators.
You know thous things under the wins on spitfires, there radiators.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 08:30:21 PM »
No it can't. Late war spitfires have 2 radiators.
You know thous things under the wins on spitfires, there radiators.

Damage list says: 1 radiator. If that's hit, its gone. ;)

Uhhmmm wait... if I think about it... I can't remember having had any radiator loss in a Spit XIV... :noid
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 08:35:37 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman