Author Topic: B25C: 2 "Strafer" Variants?  (Read 777 times)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
B25C: 2 "Strafer" Variants?
« on: March 11, 2009, 09:03:43 PM »
I was checking out the B25C for some dive bombing runs and a quick look showed no difference between the 2 variants with the 10/.50 cals (8 forward firing, 2 in top turret).  They both have the same gun package, same ord loadout, and both are for diving bombing only (no level bomb sight).

Is there any benefit in one and not the other?

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Re: B25C: 2 "Strafer" Variants?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 09:11:19 PM »
I believe the differences are purely cosmetic.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 09:13:34 PM »
They are functionally the same (AFAIK), but if you look closely, one package has a solid nose and the other a glass nose.  I suppose that may have a small impact on the damage model to hits on the nose.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 09:19:07 AM »
I noticed the cosmetic differences in the nose (glass vs no glass).

Other than that.... there are no differences??? 

If that is true, then wow.  Just think of all the other current aircraft that have variants with very minute differences that would otherwise make a decent spread in how they are used.  One has to wonder why they even did that. 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 09:52:21 AM »
I noticed the cosmetic differences in the nose (glass vs no glass).

Other than that.... there are no differences??? 

If that is true, then wow.  Just think of all the other current aircraft that have variants with very minute differences that would otherwise make a decent spread in how they are used.  One has to wonder why they even did that. 

It is purely cosmetic regarding the two straffers.  The guns were originally merely put where the bombardier used to sit.  Sometimes the painted over the glass, sometimes the didn't.  Probably to make servicing easier, they eventually replaced the glazed nose with one made up of solid panels.  Otherwise, the two straffers are the same.  Threw the skinners a nice bone.

What other plane can you think of that had different cosmetics with identical performance?  I suppose they could do a non-Malcolm hooded P-51B.  Other than that, I can't think of any.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 11:44:41 PM »
I do believe it was for the skinners.  A long time player's dad flew 25C strafers in the PTO and I believe his Dad's bird started out partially painted over nose and then all the way.  I don't know if that's the reason, but I'd like to think HTC and company kept that in mind.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters