Author Topic: J7W1 Shinden ... Anyone like to see this?  (Read 779 times)

Offline Terror

• Nickel Member
      • http://walden.mo.net/~aedwards
J7W1 Shinden ... Anyone like to see this?
« on: June 07, 2000, 08:28:00 PM »
A rear engined canard configured aircraft with 4-30mm cannons.  I think this would be a VERY interesting addition to the MA.  The hard part would be all the guessing to it's flight characteristics...But we know HiTech is a Flight Sim GOD and he would do it perfectly!      

http://www.topedge.com/panels/aircraft/sites/gustin/jap/J7WSHIND.html

or

http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/~ortmann/j7w.htm

Take a moment to let me know what you think!

Terror

[This message has been edited by Terror (edited 06-07-2000).]

Offline Terror

• Nickel Member
      • http://walden.mo.net/~aedwards
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2000, 08:32:00 PM »
And a good three sided drawing...

Offline Sundog

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2000, 09:28:00 PM »
The flight model would most likely be similar to a Varieze....e.g., it might be spin proof based on the angle of incidence of the canard wrt the angle of incidence of the wing. Basically, the canard, the small wing on the front contributes to lifting the entire aircraft, as opposed to a conventional tail aircraft where the tail works against the wings lift. If the canard stalls before the main wing (As the Varieze's does) then the main wing won't reach a high enough AOA to cause the flow to seperate, so instead of the stall/spin event of a conventional aircraft, you can pull back on the stick all you want and the nose of the plane will just drop when the canard stalls w/o any departure. Of course, all this is predicated on the cg as well. Depending on the CG location, you may be able to get into a deep stall ( I should have referenced the above statement base on normal stall conditions) but the canard aircraft `Velocity' could get into a flight regime where it literally fell in a flat (Entire plane stalled!) attitude. The first Velocity homebuilt did that during CG tests when they got the cg back to far and couldn't bring it forward (They added a winch system after that test to move the cg). BTW, The velocity fell flat until it hit I believe the Atlantic Ocean. I don't remember the rate of decent, but it was slow. The plane just floated there until a rescue crew showed up and retrieved the pilot and the plane. The pilot was unhurt.

Oh, did I mention, I want a J7W1?  

[This message has been edited by Sundog (edited 06-07-2000).]

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2000, 09:59:00 AM »
I would LOVE to see the J7W1 Shinden in AH!!!    

This was my suggestion for a Japanese "What if" aircraft.  HTC seems to be implying that they will do some "What if" aircraft, that you must earn the ability to fly.  The J7W1 would be my first choice of any "What if" aircraft of any nation.

The other, much less desired because its just another fighter, "What if" aircraft that I'd like to see for the Japanese would be the A7M3 "Sam" Reppu.

Sisu

[This message has been edited by Karnak (edited 06-08-2000).]
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Baddawg

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dogfighter.com
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2000, 10:47:00 AM »
I wonder how  it would feel "hanging on the prop" in that plane? What sort of characteristics would it portray doing this with the engine and propeller in the rear?
 Could some of you fart smellers er smart fellers elaborate?

------------------
Aces High Correspondent for  www.dogfighter.com

Offline Spritle

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2000, 04:00:00 PM »
I wouldn't like to see the Shinden.  Talk about a hanger queen.  The prototype suffered from extreme engine over heating and was pretty much just a test bed for a jet engine powered version.  So there would have to be some pretty huge assumptions made in order to put this plane in the arena.  I think it's a bad idea to put an aircraft in that never made it past prototype stage.  

I think a better Japanese fighter would be the Frank (Ki-84).  The 3rd most produced fighter by Japan during the war.  Certainly the most capable.  I would however ask for the early version that served in China as these did not suffer any of the quality problems that the later versions did.

Spritle

Offline Sunchaser

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2000, 04:37:00 PM »
Nope, sorry only about 2 and 1 half of those were ever built.

In another fantasy arena with "IT" and any other low production late, late, late war plane is fine though for those into that sort of stuff.

We have quite enough fantasy in the main as it is.

------------------
When did they put this thing in here and WTF is it for?

Offline jmccaul

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2000, 01:10:00 PM »
It has my blessing  

It just looks so damn funky