Author Topic: Flight model abuse / grievance  (Read 6835 times)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
Re: Flight model abuse / grievance
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2009, 07:07:23 PM »
All this talk about buffs has me hankering for some buff hunting tonight.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2009, 07:35:06 PM »
Well, in real life the Norden bombsight was supposed to be accurate enough from 30,000ft.

ack-ack

Clouds, variable wind conditions at multiple altitudes. historically all the buffs hit from that alt is the ground. No such thing as "precision" bombing from 32k....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2009, 08:12:11 PM »
On mission 115 dated October 14, 1943, two hundred twenty one B17 forts reached Schweinfurt and two hundred twenty released their bomb loads.  Altitude between the three air divisions varied between twenty and twenty four thousand feet.  Fifty three percent of all bombs dropped landed within one thousand feet of the aiming point of the primary target. One large concentration of at least forty bursts was located in a wooded area 3.5 miles South East of Schweinfurt.

taken from the pages of "Black Thursday" by Martin Caidin
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2009, 08:17:35 PM »
Fifty three percent of all bombs dropped landed within one thousand feet of the aiming point of the primary target. One large concentration of at least forty bursts was located in a wooded area 3.5 miles South East of Schweinfurt.

And that was considered precision bombing.  Sure is a long ways away from what we have now with bombs hitting within meters of their target.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2009, 09:47:07 PM »
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd actually like to thank Krusty for his post.

I really needed a good laugh.  :rofl
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
in an FSO, I was doing like 350 at about 35k in a 152. The one where it was the 2nd BoB.

You just gotta get up there, and get speed up, I think one of our squaddies even went to like 40k before it started to quit. :O
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2009, 10:31:51 PM »
~41k is the optimal level speed altitude. It takes over 20min to go from 180IAS to top speed flying level.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Sincraft

• Nickel Member
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2009, 12:09:16 AM »
I don't have to look at the film Krusty, I know you're a good stick.  Flew with you when I started as a knight.

So if you have a problem with it, there probably is an issue.

There are major issues with the flight characteristics of many planes in this game. 

Arguably the worst modeled plane is the Spit16...it's the very reason why I quit the game for months.  Kills me not to fly it as I've always had a love affair with spits, but can't cheat like that.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2009, 01:34:47 AM »
There are major issues with the flight characteristics of many planes in this game...the Spit16...can't cheat like that.

:rofl
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline chewie86

• Nickel Member
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2009, 02:20:39 AM »
ROFL

somebody  need high alt training    :noid

wtg mates!
Lube & Shame "peneduro"
My AH2 videos
SDL SEASON 1 Champions:
Loose Deuce
, ~Black Leather & Pink Slippers~

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2009, 03:10:28 AM »
I can't remember the last time someone complained that a guy was trying to stay alive in his bombers. 
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2009, 03:12:08 AM »
none of this alters the fact that closure rates in AH are way lower than IRL, which is especially noticable in BoB scenarios with the 88s. the difference between full/mil power and max cruise in 88s is about 30mph - thats the difference between a Spit I and a Spit IX/VIII  :confused:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2009, 08:09:51 AM »
did they actually hit their targets from that alt? i thought htc had wind drift modeled in?

if they want to spend the time to climb a set of b17's to 30k+, then let em. who really cares? ya follow em, and kill em when they come down..which they have to do sooner or later.

now, if you were talking about a b17 performing an immel, and not losing his drones.........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2009, 09:52:58 AM »
none of this alters the fact that closure rates in AH are way lower than IRL, which is especially noticable in BoB scenarios with the 88s. the difference between full/mil power and max cruise in 88s is about 30mph - thats the difference between a Spit I and a Spit IX/VIII  :confused:

Yes, but as Widewing already said, fighters in AH get to fly at full power all the time too, so the lack of realism goes both ways.

Tell me again why you all don't want more sophisticated engine modeling? :P
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2009, 10:48:29 AM »
did they actually hit their targets from that alt? i thought htc had wind drift modeled in?

the game supports wind, but it stays turned off.  there have been numerous threads asking.. begging to turn it on.