Author Topic: gv sights  (Read 1798 times)

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Re: gv sights
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 07:52:20 PM »
The magnification is the same for all tank turrets.  Max. magnification being the same, and ballistics being different, at maximum zoom the sherman's sight will consequently appear smaller than e.g. the Tiger's HE gunsight.  If you need more precision at longer ranges, you can pan down to see the rounds land at max. zoom using F8. With the Tiger's HE or the LVT4, the lowest ranges of the gunsight are burried in the optics' edge. You can get around that by raising your head position, or moving it back and forth, then panning down.  That's all you can do..

What moot said.  The hash marks in the sight will look bigger or smaller depending on the tank or ammo but, equally zoomed, the target will appear the same size no matter the tank.

In your screenshots, the sights are "different" due to the ammo's ballistics but the size of the tank you are shooting at is the same.  It should work if you can hit with one tank/ammo aimed with the 800 hash mark, you should hit the target on the same hash mark from the same distance no matter the platform.

I think you only think you have a problem and you actually don't.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 07:53:43 PM »
more pics
tiger shot shows impact at a range of 13 according to range finder

Sherman shot impacts the same spot at a range of 21 on the range finder

both shots are from in front of the vh just outside the door to the top of the hill
that distance is the same no matter what you shoot it with.
 i agree that the ballistics are different, so you would need less elevation to fire the Sherman round, yet my range finder shows that you need more, as if the round drop is greater,
 but the distance from the center of the piper (+) is less in the sherman , which it should be  
if you measure the distance on both  and used the tiger sight for the sherman shot the range would be 10 instead of 13 that would make sense, not the other way around
Flying since tour 71.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 08:37:05 PM »
You aren't shooting at a target that's at equal ground elevation. The sights' range references are for targets level with you.  For shots off-level like this one, you need to range using the horizontal size (not really possible with plain empty ground) of the target. 
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 09:39:03 PM »
well i wanted to put a target out 5000 or so but i didn't have anyone with a plane that could watch the shots lol,
 i dont think you are getting my point,
yes the Sherman round is different, and yes the sight marker should be different, the round should travel with less arc than the tiger,that's not the point!
look at my range finder and tell me what the difference is, one zooms in farther than the other
!!
if the ballistics of the Sherman provide less fall off of the round then it should not take more elevation to shoot it!
it has nothing to do with shooting up a hill, that is just the focal point of the last shot,all the flat shots are the same way, i also took shot at a target at 4000, 5000, and 6000, and found the same thing, the Sherman round hit higher up the target but well below the range finder, while the tiger hit within the range finder almost every shot.
the problem may not lay with the range finder itself, but more likely in the fact that you cant push forward in the gun barrel as far as you can with all the other tanks in the game,so i am getting a false reading, on the Sherman! any way i dont think there is going to be a fix, this has been an issue for a long time now, i can remember when the range finder was correct in the sherman,(i used it as much as possible then) the reason it was changed was because you could see out around the outside of the gun barrel so you didnt need to go the #3 gun to look around!!kind of like the lvt 4 or the m-8, it was a quik fix that never got fixed again. altleast thats my opinion!!
i sure wish the next release was ready,  we need some new stuff to complain about

Flying since tour 71.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 09:49:13 PM »
The sights are marked for level ballistics.  You have to find an example that exludes this.  I've seen HE and AP on a same turret land at different sight ranges but identical turret elevation, on a level target. Maybe you can try that.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 06:40:47 PM »
The sights are marked for level ballistics.  You have to find an example that exludes this.  I've seen HE and AP on a same turret land at different sight ranges but identical turret elevation, on a level target. Maybe you can try that.

Um he has a point... the first image is zoomed in WAY farther than the second...

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 07:08:07 PM »
The images look like they've got altered front-back head positions.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2009, 07:36:54 PM »
The images look like they've got altered front-back head positions.

On second look, I have to agree.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2009, 10:20:52 PM »
ty 
 jeeese
 i was wondering if any one else would figure it out!
 the sherman will not zoom the right amount!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2009, 10:34:38 PM »
Whiskey the magnification is the same for all tanks. Can you think of any reason for them to be changed from this fairness standard other than historical accuracy?  Historical optics or at least magnification amount will only happen if all tanks get it.  And then it'll raise arguments about some tanks having an unfair advantage because IRL magnification wasn't the only factor in tank optics' effectiveness.  E.G. a tank in AH that IRL had relatively low magnification may have had other features not modeled in the game that added up to an overall better package.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2009, 12:30:19 AM »
the Sherman in the game was the same as all other tanks in the beginning1
 for almost a week the Sherman was aw some,
 the reason it was changed,(after much head shrinking i figured it out) was because the sights , if set like all others , would not let you see out if you just logged in without zooming in, the plate on the front of the gun blocked the sight pic. until you zoomed in, alot of people who did not understand complained and it was changed, with a quick fix, (Not allowing it to zoom in all the way)
 the thing is, we where told that they would fix it again as soon as they figured out how!!
 that was o ,, at least a year or more ago,       i just want it fixed,
the reason i brought it up was because some of the people that use the Sherman more than most have somehow gotten past this shortsighted,nes (lol), but i have been using it too as of late (because i have run out of gv points) and i have found that it is not as big of a hindrance than i thought it was,
 still it is not correct !! the Sherman will not zoom in as far as all other tanks in the game.
 and since you cannot change the sights ( my solution to the problem) it must be fixed somewhere else!
hopefully in the next update
Flying since tour 71.