Author Topic: defrag (Skuzzy?)  (Read 990 times)

Offline Animl

• Copper Member
      • Animal Tactics
Re: defrag (Skuzzy?)
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 11:24:31 PM »
The problem is people are talking about something that has many variables. A game folder store on the system drive is not helpful. While the game itself may not become fragmented its mounted ona drive that is\will be fragmented, hence something is going to run slower.

As written above defragging a machine over defragged files is not going anywhere. Defragged is defragged. However, also mentioned above that new files (overwriting, deleteing, new etc) will most likely have some degree of fragmentation. Copying files to a drive does not mean they will become fragmented... BUT, copying them to a fragmented drive will place them where ever they can all fit, when they don't- they go where ever it finds a slot to store them. Hence fragmentation of file grouping.

Point being, a little common sense goes a long way. :)

My system drive never becomes fragmented because everything that expands and contracts is happening on another drive instead. I don't use a page file so that eliminates a lot all by itself.

I think some of us were making points based on heavy fragmentation, and it being over-rated.

My main point is, it's the biggest bottle neck of a computer, keep it running as fast and efficient as possible. I think defragging every day is well,...a little over-kill. OTOH I know people who have NEVER defragged,... and that IS a mess to clean up once it passes a certain threshold.

I just highly believe that it's not over rated to keep a drive defragged.

I wonder how many times I said defrag and fragmented in one post, Im sure it's a record of some kind. <g>
Animl (from the ashes of Air Warrior nation) http://home.comcast.net/~animl/