Author Topic: Requesting flight assistance. Know concepts, but not application  (Read 576 times)

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
Hello gang,

I've been playing this game on and off since Beta. I've never really gotten "good", but at times at least felt "adequate", except for this most recent return. I just, no matter how hard I try, cannot seem to improve my flying.
I think my gunnery is adequate (let's face it, unless you're hitting 100% you can improve =) ).
I understand ACM concepts, and can tell you the difference between an Immelman, Thatch Weave, and Yo-Yo without breaking a sweat.
As long as I'm practicing good SA, I feel comfortable that it's pretty unlikely someone's going to get me with a first burst pass...
I understand the need to adjust throttle and flaps usage during a fight, and am even comfortable taking a 38 in a 10k dive and won't lawn dart it.
I think I even do ok as the "bait" when flying as a wingman.

But no matter how many books I've read on this stuff since I was a kid, no matter how many flights I've done, films I've watched, planes I fly or how hard I try... I just cannot seem to hold my own. I understand concepts, but no clue how to use what, when. I cannot reverse on anyone. I'm "so-so" with a moderate E advantage, and bad to horrible with a high E advantage, or no to negative E.

Can anyone assist me? I'm not sure the best way to ask for help, so if I need to post film, that's fine. If someone's willing to meet me in the TA, that's great too. I just don't want my lack of talent/ability to keep me from enjoying this game any longer if I can help it.

And before anyone else says it... god that's one big long whine. WHAAAAAA.  :cry

Lol.
Thanks for any responses  :lol
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
Re: Requesting flight assistance. Know concepts, but not application
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 06:11:28 PM »
I know where you're coming from - I feel the same way about my flying.

A good place to start is the TA. You don't even have to find a "trainer" to help you with this stuff. Just show up, look for someone to duel with and just practice, practice, practice!

A few regulars there who aren't trainers are great, like Morfiend, TSO and BigRat (to name a few).

Heck, you could look me up any time I'm online and I could jet over to the TA to fly against you... I'm no expert, but I might be a decent training buddy.
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 09:18:52 PM »
I'm working mids tonight and have been since last Friday night but I will be off for a day tomorrow and can meet you around 7pm (CT) in the TA if you'd like.  Now a few questions...

What stick?
Ever hear the term "bat turn"?
How about lift vector?
Are you comfortable in a rolling scissors?
Terms like lead, pure, lag pursuit? Not just from trail but in roll?

Ren
Aces High Training Corps

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 08:03:47 AM »
I know where you're coming from - I feel the same way about my flying.

A good place to start is the TA. You don't even have to find a "trainer" to help you with this stuff. Just show up, look for someone to duel with and just practice, practice, practice!

A few regulars there who aren't trainers are great, like Morfiend, TSO and BigRat (to name a few).

Heck, you could look me up any time I'm online and I could jet over to the TA to fly against you... I'm no expert, but I might be a decent training buddy.

very good answer. i was in there last night for an hour or so, flying my 38j against ghosth for a run or two, then had a few duels against leo in his spit16. THEY were fun fights!! all of them. i actually managed to eventually saddle up on him once or twice, but only after he laid enough lead in me to have killed me in the main arenas.....but at least i finally managed it.

i think i would suggest anyone going there for a few flights.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 12:03:56 PM »
Here's my attempt to reply after the board ate itself. hahah.

Thanks for the advice all. I'll try and get to the Training arena more often.

Extra thanks to Ren. Lots to absorb and a few bad habits to get rid of.  :salute
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 12:08:02 PM »
Here's my attempt to reply after the board ate itself. hahah.

Thanks for the advice all. I'll try and get to the Training arena more often.

Extra thanks to Ren. Lots to absorb and a few bad habits to get rid of.  :salute

ren's good. he was one of the first to work with me about 3 or so years ago when i first started. excellent instructor.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 03:28:42 PM »
I'm working mids tonight and have been since last Friday night but I will be off for a day tomorrow and can meet you around 7pm (CT) in the TA if you'd like.  Now a few questions...

What stick?
Ever hear the term "bat turn"?
How about lift vector?
Are you comfortable in a rolling scissors?
Terms like lead, pure, lag pursuit? Not just from trail but in roll?

Ren
Aces High Training Corps

The only thing you listed that I'm curious about is "bat turn". Care to enlighten?  :D
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 03:31:49 PM »
The only thing you listed that I'm curious about is "bat turn". Care to enlighten?  :D

Bad Asd Turn?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"