Author Topic: best method to quickly dive in 109s without causing compression  (Read 986 times)

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
Hey all,

my fav planes to fly are the 109s and 190s..however when I take out a 109 and someone needs assitance on the deck and im 5k higher than him etc..hows the quickest way to dive down and help without causing compression? it seems to be my main problem to overcome in the 109s
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Re: best method to quickly dive in 109s without causing compression
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 05:24:11 PM »
Simple, dont get so fast you loose elevator control. Normally, i would zero the throtle and dive using the rudder to skid the aircraft on the way down (use some aileron to correct the secondary effect of the rudder). If you find you are still loosing elevator control, then a shallower dive is called for. If you do get loss of elev control, sometimes up elev trim can help recovery - i doesn't work miracles tho...

BTW, its not actually compressing, its just getting extremely heavy. Compression happens as you approach the speed of sound, 109 elev stiffness happens somewhat earlier than mach 1.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 05:27:13 PM by Spatula »
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 08:02:23 PM »
nice cheers spatula  :aok
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 04:11:51 AM »
What Spatula said.

Also, try a spiral descent vice straight dive.  In a straight dive, even with the throttle at idle and full rudder, you can easily be too fast to be very effective and end up just blowing through the fight and then having to reverse to actually get a good shot on an adversary.  A spiral descent will let you keep some g on the plane to help control speed.  It takes a few seconds longer but you can drop right into the fight vice overshooting.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 08:07:54 AM »
you could split-S your way down too, even though its not constant, you can shed a lot of altitude and come out on a new pertch and re-evaluate your position. . .in a rush though, throttle down and pointing streight down never cases serious stiffness unless I am waaay up there. . .

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 08:26:15 AM »
Barrel roll. You dump more alt with it and can limit speed with both rudder and elevator. Practice this on landing approaches.

Infidel.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 09:13:28 AM »
In the earlier 109's you can stick around 300-350 mph if you throw full rudder, IIRC.

But, I highly recommend, if you have enough axes on your stick (X52 has enough), that you learn how to use manual trim easily. That really helps at high speed; you can control the crate pretty well up to about 600 mph.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 09:36:56 AM »
I throttle off, cross control and keep a finger on my elevator trim tab which I have mapped to my stick.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline comet61

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 03:13:36 PM »
Also, try a spiral descent vice straight dive.

This maneuver works real well with the Ki-84. I can descend quite quickly in a tight spiral using max rudder and never exceed 300. In a steep sloping descent, the use of aileron and opposite rudder can come in handy as well. I use this if and when I fly a 190.
Comet61

666th Barbarians FG

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 12:17:41 AM »
I don't know about the rest of the 109's, but the K-4 I can bring up to around 500mph (But I avoid 0G dives & the controls are heavy) if its a straight on chase. Now if it looks as if I might have to maneuver I use the rudder to get my speed down to the 425mph area or I use the speed to get back on top and convert it back to altitude or do a series of barrel rolls and it helps keep your speed manageable. 

This maneuver works real well with the Ki-84. I can descend quite quickly in a tight spiral using max rudder and never exceed 300. In a steep sloping descent, the use of aileron and opposite rudder can come in handy as well. I use this if and when I fly a 190.

That works well in a P-38 also!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 12:24:53 AM by Cajunn »
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 02:13:14 AM »
This shows how I use and control my speed without giving up the almighty E, poor shooting but good example.

http://www.mediafire.com/?imdmcticyyo
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 12:35:09 PM »
double post sorry