Author Topic: My first try... sort of  (Read 811 times)

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
My first try... sort of
« on: March 10, 2009, 08:02:30 PM »
Here's why I wanted some help:I fly an RV10, and thought it would be cool to see the RV8 with the same paint scheme...

Here's how it turned out, so far anyway...

It took me 30 times or so to get the Lines to match!  It's waaaaaaay hard, and looking at the panels is confusing too.  It's definitely not perfect. I can see the curved lines are not smooth, etc etc... But it was fun to figure it all out.

Thanks again to Motherland, Ranger, and Redhawk for all the help!

:salute

Mathis
BMathis
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing (Retired)
Aces High CM Staff (Retired) [Koth, Xtreme Racing League]

Offline Lord ReDhAwK

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.revivecomputing.com/aggressors
Re: My first try... sort of
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 08:11:06 PM »
She's a beauty Mathis.  Congrat's on the first one  :aok

ReDhAwK
C.O.
The Aggressors

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 08:47:39 PM »
Hmmm

Looks like the darker red stripe is not as thick as it should be.  Also I think it is the wrong shade.  Check www.rv8skinners.org for more info on the colors used on these but you cannot go by just one page, so try www.helskinipaints.com.  You need to buy Micheal Ullman's excellent "Van's Experimental Colours - 2000-2007" which I am told has paint chips.  While expensive at $4500.00 per copy it is the only refernce you should use.

Also, its just not dirty enough.  Gotta get mud on it.  Smoke, stains, oil leaks, fuel over flows they didn't fly these birds in such a pristine condition.  Ignore your pictures, they are obviously
wrong, you gotta add some wear and tear as well.  Scuff up the canopy rail and wing roots.

Are you sure your panel lines are right?  I think you are missing the oil itercooler hatch next to the turbine mixinator shaft access hatch on the right side.  Definately missing a cap on the wing, refer to your picture.  You are going to want to check your panel lines at www.rvlines_stolenimagesfromb ooksbybadscans.ru

Also I don't see a registration number.  Note that the N104** series was only deployed on the western coast south of Santa Monica during 2002 to 2004.  From 2004 to 2006 they were in Virginia and definately didn't have that paint scheme.  They had the yellow surround on the after fusalage with white wingtips and a powder blue nose.  No spiral.  After that they were posted to Minneapolis St Paul, Minnesota and given twin engines and a G suffix due to some local custom.

Other than that a notable effort.  :aok

In jokes are for skinners who have suffered posting their efforts on this forum.  :salute
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 08:49:34 PM by Fencer51 »
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 09:47:43 PM »
 :rofl

Excellent job BM.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 10:11:11 PM »
Hmmm

Looks like the darker red stripe is not as thick as it should be.  Also I think it is the wrong shade.  Check www.rv8skinners.org for more info on the colors used on these but you cannot go by just one page, so try www.helskinipaints.com.  You need to buy Micheal Ullman's excellent "Van's Experimental Colours - 2000-2007" which I am told has paint chips.  While expensive at $4500.00 per copy it is the only refernce you should use.

Also, its just not dirty enough.  Gotta get mud on it.  Smoke, stains, oil leaks, fuel over flows they didn't fly these birds in such a pristine condition.  Ignore your pictures, they are obviously
wrong, you gotta add some wear and tear as well.  Scuff up the canopy rail and wing roots.

Are you sure your panel lines are right?  I think you are missing the oil itercooler hatch next to the turbine mixinator shaft access hatch on the right side.  Definately missing a cap on the wing, refer to your picture.  You are going to want to check your panel lines at www.rvlines_stolenimagesfromb ooksbybadscans.ru

Also I don't see a registration number.  Note that the N104** series was only deployed on the western coast south of Santa Monica during 2002 to 2004.  From 2004 to 2006 they were in Virginia and definately didn't have that paint scheme.  They had the yellow surround on the after fusalage with white wingtips and a powder blue nose.  No spiral.  After that they were posted to Minneapolis St Paul, Minnesota and given twin engines and a G suffix due to some local custom.

Other than that a notable effort.  :aok

In jokes are for skinners who have suffered posting their efforts on this forum.  :salute

lol! Fencer, you just made my day!

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 10:11:50 PM »
 :rofl Thanks Fencer

Thanks ReD!!
BMathis

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 10:42:41 PM »
Nice  :aok
Strokes

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 03:04:17 AM »
No offense to Fencer.  I have guys come into my avionics shop all the time with their RVs.  You would be surprised at how good these planes look after many years.  These guys really take care fo these planes and I am usually thinking they finished them within the last few months when in many cases it has been years.  They are babied.  My .02 

Looks good Mathis.    :aok
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 05:32:09 AM »
No offense to Fencer.  I have guys come into my avionics shop all the time with their RVs.  You would be surprised at how good these planes look after many years.  These guys really take care fo these planes and I am usually thinking they finished them within the last few months when in many cases it has been years.  They are babied.  My .02 

:rofl :rofl
Fencer

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 01:11:07 PM »

Fencer is making references to the "suggestions" made by those that don't do skins to those that expend the effort to create them. In other words they will complain about how others do the work but will not do the work themselves.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 01:37:56 PM »
After attempting a skin that will never be in-game, I feel for those that actually do this... They work hard to make this game better.  Months of research and the immense time-consuming skinning process.

:salute to our AH skinners!

Thanks Stokes! 

And yes avionix, we baby our RV. If you take care of her, She'll take care of you.  ;) 
BMathis

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 04:08:35 PM »
After attempting a skin that will never be in-game, I feel for those that actually do this... They work hard to make this game better.  Months of research and the immense time-consuming skinning process.

:salute to our AH skinners!

Thanks Stokes! 

And yes avionix, we baby our RV. If you take care of her, She'll take care of you.  ;) 

It is a very nice skin, looks like a cool plane too.

However.. You will note that it has a tricycle landing gear.  Obviously it is an RV10A13A3452KQ and you are putting it on a RV8K029321G aircraft.   :D
Fencer

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 11:44:24 AM »
Looks bloody good Bmathis, maybe a few more pannel lines and your good to go. :aok

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."