Author Topic: Dual Soundcards  (Read 898 times)

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
Dual Soundcards
« on: March 12, 2009, 11:26:04 PM »
So I bowed to pressure from the GF (who doesn't care to use my awesome Razer Barracuda headset) and ordered a set of computer speakers for general usage.  Now my headset uses every single plug on the back of my X-Fi extreme audio card, so if I plug in the speakers, there is nowhere to plug the headest.  I really don't want to fight all the wires and plugs and whatnot behind the machine every time I want to play AH and then reverse the whole process when I'm done.  I plan to build a new puter in a few months that will be mine only (is that selfish?) but until that time I really don't want to fight the box and all the hooking/unhooking that would be going on every day or two. 

If I order a new card, such as the X-Fi ExtremeGamer and install it, can I hook the surround headphones to it and leave the speakers hooked to the first card?  Is there some way to switch back and forth in the software fairly easily?  Would there be any issues with overlapping drivers or irq issues?  It only has to work for 6 months at best, then I'll just take the new card and put it in the new machine.  Until then however, I'd like to do this if it's feasible. 

Anyone have any ideas or answers?
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Re: Dual Soundcards
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 12:09:10 AM »
You dont need to buy a second soundcard. What you need is more jacks to plug into.

Available at your local radio shack for ALOT less then a new sound card

$4.99

$2.99

The one I use looks like this. I think I paid $4.00

But if you want to throw away money for 0 noticeable sound difference (sure do look purdy though)
You can buy the "monster cable" version for $10.00

They work great

« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 12:11:07 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 04:42:23 AM »
I agree, 5$ splitter works fine, lets me use either or both at the same time.

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 09:00:22 AM »
Just a side note, if you use a splitter, you'll get a little bit of signal loss if you leave both outputs plugged in all the time, so if you're using your headphones unplug the speakers, and if your using the speakers unplug the headphones.  It's what i do.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 09:02:30 AM by Speed55 »
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 09:20:59 AM »
Just a side note, if you use a splitter, you'll get a little bit of signal loss if you leave both outputs plugged in all the time, so if you're using your headphones unplug the speakers, and if your using the speakers unplug the headphones.  It's what i do.

I use a splitter and I can't notice a difference even in my pair of Sennheisers.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 10:28:59 AM »
I use a splitter and I can't notice a difference even in my pair of Sennheisers.

As Skuzzy has noted dual soundcards + windows = bad idea.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 03:38:21 PM »
You definately do not want to install more than one sound card in Windows.  Sounds cards are notorious for not sharing resources well.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline thud123

• Zinc Member
      • Musketeers.org
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 08:09:21 PM »
Skuzzy,

Is this an issue with Aces High or Windows?

I have 3 sound cards working on my Mac laptop running Windows; 1) Builtin Sound 2) MOTU Firewire audio device and 3) Beyerdynamic USB headphone sound card:

http://www.beyerdynamic.de/index.php?id=2028&&L=1&tx_sbproductdatabase_pi1%5bshowUid%5d%5bshowUID%5d=2109&tx_sbproductdatabase_pi1%5bshowUid%5d%5bbackPID%5d=2028&cHash=cd1211973d

They all work fine with Aces High.

I kind of like the idea of using the dongles to get by for the short term (cheap) for Mada but I don't think there should be an issue running multiple "cards". However, all my "cards" use different interfaces (MB, USB, Firewire) perhaps there are some issues with using multiple PCI or similar "cards" on the same bus.

Thud wants to know!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 08:27:26 PM by thud123 »

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 11:21:42 PM »
Sound cards don't like to share IRQ addresses.  Especially on the PCI slots they can get goofy and conflict.  I think since you're interfaces are quite different from each other, you don't have that problem thud.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 12:03:39 AM »
Ok, I was hoping to avoid some hassle and prepare for the new build all at the same time, but it doesn't look like it's going to pan out.  I don't suppose I could just assign different irqs if there is a conflict, it seems like I'd done that before for aw puters in years past.  Maybe I'll just get the dongles and bide my time.  (Truthfully part of the plan involved the gf feeling like I was going out of my way to accommodate her wants while actually sneaking some of my own wants in on the side.  I think it was a good plan.)

Ah well, if the little cable splitters will work, I'll pick them up this weekend.  Speakers should arrive  midweek. 

madda
The Musketeers Squadron
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 06:29:35 AM »
It is not an Aces High II issue.  Like Fulmar said.  Sound cards do not share IRQ's (hence resources) well at all.  It has to to with the way Windows chains IRQ's and the drivers of the sound cards not honoring some other sound card could be using that IRQ.

Even if they did share well, you still would want to avoid it as it adds quite a bit of overhead to the IRQ service interval.  During the servicing of an IRQ, the CPU is dead in the water.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 09:09:47 AM »
Well, Ok then.   Poop. 

I guess I'll be using the dongles then until I start to put the new one together. 

Thanks for the help.
madda
The Musketeers Squadron

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 09:03:03 PM »

If you're unplugging things you aren't using, why do you need the splitter?

confused

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 09:43:43 AM »
If you're unplugging things you aren't using, why do you need the splitter?

confused

wrongway

Sometimes when i'm listening to music I use the splitter so i can  plug the computer audio output into my stereo receiver, and desktop speakers at the same time, (i like it loud with surround sound) and i can really notice the  signal loss if i'm only using one at a time, but they are both plugged in.

I ran a 10ft extension cable. http://www.geekbro.com/index.cfm/hurl/page=product/itemid=729514?source=GoogleBase <--- like that, but not that exact one, from behind the computer and velcro'd it to the underside of the desk with the splitter attached so  depending on what configuration i want (Headphones.  Desktop Speakers, Stereo Receiver,  Stereo Receiver + Destop Speakers), I don't have to climb under the desk every time.
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone