Author Topic: Is it true ?  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
Re: Is it true ?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 06:24:03 PM »
For me it had something to do with my video card settings. It used to be no matter where a smoke shell landed it wouldn't show up even a little. It would be like a regular AP/HE shell hit the ground.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 09:21:25 PM »
Me and some of my freinds can. That doesnt help me in the GV category.

Actually it does help, allot. Let me splain  :)
The other night I was at a spawn that was being camped by a dude in an m4 that was an excellent shot, smacking everyone with the 1st round out. S me as well as a couple others started to fire smoke rnds in front of said sherman hoping to block his view so 1 or 2 of us could get out and reposition. We laid soooooo much smoke in front of him we couldn't see him or any surrounding trees at all. He continued without repositioning to bludgeon everyone till someone came from the other direction and got him from behind. I could see the rounds comin out of the smoke, yet no matter how I zoomed or altered mt graphics I could not see him. The dude in question said he was aware of it and is why he doesn't use smoke so it doesn't matter. Well my experience proves it can matter immensley!
The game has minimum system requirements listed on the sight, maybe a higher grade system should be required for the GV portion of this product!

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 09:45:52 PM »
on my old computer i had to turn my graphics card down alot to play and i could see through trees and smoke and could see gvs from way off
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 10:16:54 PM »
i was able to see through smoke the other day when i was having driver issues with my card with i went down to 182.06 the problem cleared up but for the time i was running 182.08 i could see through smoke as if nothing was there i would just see flashes of white stuff every few minutes. but no solid smoke.

Offline Dm6

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 10:32:38 PM »
Actually it does help, allot. Let me splain  :)
The other night I was at a spawn that was being camped by a dude in an m4 that was an excellent shot, smacking everyone with the 1st round out. S me as well as a couple others started to fire smoke rnds in front of said sherman hoping to block his view so 1 or 2 of us could get out and reposition. We laid soooooo much smoke in front of him we couldn't see him or any surrounding trees at all. He continued without repositioning to bludgeon everyone till someone came from the other direction and got him from behind. I could see the rounds comin out of the smoke, yet no matter how I zoomed or altered mt graphics I could not see him. The dude in question said he was aware of it and is why he doesn't use smoke so it doesn't matter. Well my experience proves it can matter immensley!
The game has minimum system requirements listed on the sight, maybe a higher grade system should be required for the GV portion of this product!

What are u willing to bet the guy that was shooting thru smoke did NOT have a low end system?

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2009, 12:57:15 AM »

What are u willing to bet the guy that was shooting thru smoke did NOT have a low end system?

well, that's what I understood so it may be just an assumption, either way it sux and should be fixed  :aok

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2009, 02:52:24 AM »
The only fix I can come up with would be to remove smoke altogether but Hitech is the man to talk to I think. I would not want to be flying on a machine that cant see smoke.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline haasehole

• Copper Member
      • http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/The13thMidwestPilotGroup/
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2009, 11:22:57 AM »
   :noid I'm wondering if its not a settings tweak that lets em see threw smoke  :noid
~GELU~CRUOR~IUGUOLO~o2b1ace~
             13 Midwest Pilot Group
                  WD40 - F.S.O.

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2009, 02:30:24 PM »
The only fix I can come up with would be to remove smoke altogether but Hitech is the man to talk to I think. I would not want to be flying on a machine that cant see smoke.

How about raising the system requirements for a couple arenas and commiting 1 arena for lower end sytems! Lets face it, I think we as a gaming community have a responibility to help the providers maintain the highest level of product possible, that includes managing your own crappy system so the majority of folks don't have play at the lower levels of performance just to have opponents. Think how far the owners could go with this product if they didn't have to account for the sub performers!  :aok

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2009, 02:36:07 PM »
I updated my "old, outdated" systems video drivers because I suddenly started having frame rate "issues".  Presto!!  No more smoke. 

So, Old drivers = smoke
New, latest drivers = no smoke

What's wrong with this picture.

I also don't think some of the people who admit to not seeing smoke necessarily have "old, outdated" systems, running Vista and whatnot.

Oh, and BTW, updating my drivers not only didn't help the frame rate, it caused some other anomalies besides the smoke thing.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2009, 08:30:32 PM »
I updated my "old, outdated" systems video drivers because I suddenly started having frame rate "issues".  Presto!!  No more smoke. 

So, Old drivers = smoke
New, latest drivers = no smoke

What's wrong with this picture.

I also don't think some of the people who admit to not seeing smoke necessarily have "old, outdated" systems, running Vista and whatnot.

Oh, and BTW, updating my drivers not only didn't help the frame rate, it caused some other anomalies besides the smoke thing.

wrongway

So is it just a deliberate manipulation of game play, maybe?

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2009, 12:41:32 AM »
What AWwrgwy is saying sounds like Nvidia is writing drivers in support of newer cards and perhaps leaving off methods for the existing cards? Not sure how to explain that...
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2009, 01:35:34 AM »
I'm running the newest Nvidia drivers and I see smoke (8800/XP).
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2009, 06:45:07 AM »
I'm not really sure how smoke is done in this game, but I'm wondering if it has to do with the shader model version their graphics cards have.  There can be some extremely funky effects when a game is written for shader model 2 or 3 and the video card is a shader model 1 or 2.  Most times the game won't let you run if you don't have the proper version graphics card, however I'm curious if perhaps nVidia's new drivers dropped full support for SM1 graphics cards.

Btw there isn't anything you can do to update the SM, it's hardware reliant.  I think using the correct generation of drivers may solve the problems.

If you do have a SM1 card... you'll eventually have to upgrade if this game decides to force SM 2 or 3.  By the way, they are currently on SM 4, thanks to DirectX 10, and 11 has been unveiled which includes SM 5, and is to be released with Windows 7.  Graphics card companies must be loving Microsoft right now, they are literally giving the companies reason to repackage old cards (updated a bit, of course) under a new name and price.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Allen Rune

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2009, 12:09:47 PM »
I actualy don't have any shaders at all, or at least I think I don't, it has to do with light reflections right?
The Screwed One

"And so it begins, may it never end."