Author Topic: 3 very important lessons on PC security software  (Read 1664 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: 3 very important lessons on PC security software
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 02:03:42 PM »
While no anti-virus in the price ranges most of the forum users are totally secure, the one anti virus program out there that can claim never have missed an "In The Wild Virus" is NOD32. "In-the-Wild" viruses are real viruses that have been reported to the Wildlist Organization by at least two independent reporters.

and TilDeath, as soon as I re-installed NOD32, it instantly picked up those virus/malware & the "BOT"......problem was it could not remove it, because the BOT took control of my BIOS/BOOT.ini  .........it only allowed NOD to updat its virus signature on the initial install, then killed its internet connection from there on.......had I uninstalled and instantly installed the new Business Edition NOD32........... ( yes my stupidity )........ I would be flying the past cple of days instead of pulling out more grey hairs and making my bald spot bigger  :rofl
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Irwink!

• Nickel Member
      • http://msn.com
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 02:39:33 PM »
9 out of every 10 people that come with infections have NOD.. i dont find it very effective

For my part I am shocked that anyone could doubt TheZohan's expert opinion. I generally lurk here without all but the occasional comment. But I have to ask, how could anyone doubt the opinion of one that holds an A+ certification!!??
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 02:41:49 PM by Irwink! »

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 05:00:54 PM »
Threatfire

Free, keeps anything from moving in and setting up house, or making changes that I don't authorize.
Its small, very low resources footprint, and you can choose if you want to let it autoupdate, or not.

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 05:56:31 PM »
As an aside it looks like AVG is finally going to cut off version 7.5... I keep getting end of use/upgrade now popups.  Don't want to go to AVG 8, looks like I'll finally have to decide on AVG's replacement.
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 06:01:18 PM »
Threatfire

Free, keeps anything from moving in and setting up house, or making changes that I don't authorize.
Its small, very low resources footprint, and you can choose if you want to let it autoupdate, or not.

Threatfire needs to be used alongside a regular AV program as well btw.

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 07:29:03 PM »
So TilDeath if those anti-virus' programs listed missed that many, how well does AVG rate?
Don't think your gonna like this, 939 missed, the worst rated

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 07:35:21 PM »
Don't think your gonna like this, 939 missed, the worst rated

Ow, so um what should I use ya think?  I would like free if there is something good for free and not very resource heavy.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 07:41:20 PM »
and TilDeath, as soon as I re-installed NOD32, it instantly picked up those virus/malware & the "BOT"......problem was it could not remove it, because the BOT took control of my BIOS/BOOT.ini  .........it only allowed NOD to updat its virus signature on the initial install, then killed its internet connection from there on.......had I uninstalled and instantly installed the new Business Edition NOD32........... ( yes my stupidity )........ I would be flying the past cple of days instead of pulling out more grey hairs and making my bald spot bigger  :rofl
As stated not all Virus programs are 100% effective, seems to me you have three choices to clean the drive and also a chore to do.  To try and remove the Virus you could try the following.  If this does not work try below.  Have NOD32 starts its scan upon boot (I know you stated it gets shut down).  You can get into the program so you should be able to tell it to do this, if not try the following

1) Try starting in "Safe Mode" and run the antivirus there
2) Remove the drive, and install on another system that has an antivirus installed with VIRUS PATTERNS up to date and clean the drive
3) Create a "Boot Disk" with NOD32 and its patterns on a  "USB, CD/DVD or Floppy" and clean the drive this way

The Chore is to get the file name that is in your Threat folder and send it off to ESET with an explaination of what it does (Shutting down the anti-virus) they will create a patch.  
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 07:47:03 PM by TilDeath »

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 07:42:33 PM »
Ow, so um what should I use ya think?  I would like free if there is something good for free and not very resource heavy.
Anything free is able to be reverse engineered making it easy for Coders to do as they please having their Virus interact with the free apps.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 07:47:57 PM by TilDeath »

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2009, 06:43:38 AM »
One other option that might work for some users, is to use a boot cd to boot to Linux. Because its not a windows OS the files that need to be cleaned, but are currently protected, could then be cleaned under linux. A lot of Linux distro's ship with a functioning AV.

Its a bit of work, but its one last thing that you could try before doing a full wipe and start from scratch.

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2009, 07:00:39 AM »
So TilDeath if those anti-virus' programs listed missed that many, how well does AVG rate?  Been using that with Spybot S&D for a while, would hate to think  I have missed a virus somewhere.
Figure while people are on the subject of anti-virus I should pop in. :)
I use AVG, Spybot S&D and Windows firewall, yes I know Satan, but I have yet to see anything get on my computer.  Plus the last Firewall I had was very annoying (ZoneAlarm).

thats what i do for most of my costumers AVG and Spybot S&D and thats has worked great for 99% of my customers.  and for the price you cant bet the protection.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2009, 07:39:11 AM »
TheZohan...just out of curiosity, what are your credentials with respect to computer configurations? Not throwing a slam...just curious.

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2009, 08:16:23 AM »
i am a A+ certified Tech with 20 years experience.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2009, 11:46:27 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 12:41:23 PM by Skuzzy »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2009, 12:05:24 PM »
i could care less what you think. and your opinion means nothing to me. you have too options you can take the advice or dont. you dont like what i have to say, then dont like it.  not gonna bother me one bit. i do my job very well thank you very much and thats why i make the money i do.