Author Topic: Change of approach - BIG wish!  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Re: Change of approach - BIG wish!
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 12:46:04 PM »
Lots of good thinking here  :aok  Somewhere in a quote from HTC staff, the objective of the main arena setup was to provide large scale air combat.  The base capture was only a device used to promote such behavior.  GhostH hints at something that I would like to see tweaked, the perk system.

Interesting idea

Current arena setup does not allow for limiting ords by type, weight, or anything else. Either you have all of them, or you have none. (Hopes this gets changed soon)

Except for some very late war sorties most fighters simply could not load up a pair of 1k bombs, rocks and takeoff.
They just were not that easy to get.  Early war 250 lbs and mid - late war I agree, fighters should be limited to 500's.
(edit).... Compounded by the fact that AH really doesn't reward you for taking the time to do a bombing sortie correctly.
A few perk points that can only be spent on a jet bomber, and that's about it. No "name in lights" for bombing, only for shooting down attackers. That's the first thing thats going to have to change.

The "Career" gameplay that  was going to be a big part of Combat Tour could exist on some level if the perks were adjusted and reset to zero monthly.  If larger bombs for fighters cost perks, and they couldn't be stockpiled forever, it would simulate scarcity.  If perks were adjusted and reset monthly, Me262s would rarely be seen in the MA and those that flew them would most likely be top Aces, not just a putz like me who has been around forever. 

Tweak the perk system so that there is a progression in the kind of plane, bomber, vehicle or ordinance that a pilot is allowed to choose from the hangar.  Promote missions by allowing medium level perked vehicles and ordinance to all who join.  Other than missions, each pilot would have to prove himself worthy of his country's investment in equipment in previous sortees during that tour (month).  Instead of ENY, perk the uber rides in a progressive manner, placing the P51D, La7, Fw190 D9, Bf109 K4, Spitfire 16, and the like in a perk category.

In such a system, one or two successful sortees should be able to advance you to the next level of perked rides, however, perks are just as easily lost. 

« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 12:49:03 PM by Chilli »

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 01:29:01 PM »
I'd like to see some big ports/ship yards that affect cv & port rebuild times.

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 01:47:33 PM »
How 'bout one of those GIANT CT cities for each side? More of it you destroy to a certain point, more bases you can take.  :aok
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 02:42:42 PM »
why not........get rid of the towns on SOME fields and try to take the FIELDS.

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 04:23:53 PM »

Heavy snow and hail would force the fights higher making the base raping impact tougher while at the same time forcing full GV assaults. This would also help encourage large bombing missions..

:rock

Actually, heavy snow and hail would ground aircraft and halt operations altogether.

woo hoo

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 08:06:39 PM »
Chain the bases and you wouldn't have to change anything else.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2009, 08:12:37 PM »
The aircraft of WWII were all weather jets. It's the pilot that makes them fair weather.  :aok
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2009, 01:07:10 AM »
Chain the bases and you wouldn't have to change anything else.

+1

I checked out both orange and blue after a sleeper FSO and didn't see anything worthwhile.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2009, 10:08:06 PM »
           I agree, the GV aspect should be made better, and the weather would make the game a lot more fun imagine, getting hit by lightning in a fully loaded Lancaster.  The explosion would be glorious!  Or maybe fist sized hail that kills pintle gunners.  How about CV killing hurricanes that tear up bases like a bad kid through paper.  Rain so heavy that it blinds you, and makes airplanes slip on the runway.  What about tornados?  You could see huge ones coming from miles away.  Picture an F5 hitting the Capitol: there would be splinters, people and even enitre houses whirling through air. 

But don't forget other forces of nature.  How about earthquakes that destroy entire regions!  one minute your preparing a mission, the next minute the base is in flames and there's a gargantuan fissure that goes down a mile right through the runway.  And as long as we're on the subject of plate techtonics, let's get a few volcanos going.    I can see the name now, Mt. HiTech spewing tens of thousands of tons lava and choking ash hundreds of feet in the air, choking man and machine alike.  Fields would be left inoperableand you would have to clean them up manually.

Not do we have land, but we have the sea as well.  Let's add a few multi-story tsunamis that simply erase entire bases off the face of the earth.  You would just see the ocean swallow them up, and when the water would recede, they would be gone.  If you were swallowed up you would be cast into a spooky underwater world, where you would slowly fall unconcious and your pilot's last few gasps of life would escape his lips like tiny shadows, and then your screen would fade into murky black.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 10:22:01 PM by Penguin »

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2009, 02:41:50 AM »
Did many aircraft get killed by lightning and hail in WWII? 

No?  Must be the fair weather pilots.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2009, 02:44:28 AM »
Did many aircraft get killed by lightning and hail in WWII?

No?  Must be the fair weather pilots.

:aok
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline chewiex

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2009, 10:06:40 AM »
that would help a bunch, so would adding other environmental factors such as fog, rain, snow and quite possibly hail.

Heavy snow and hail would force the fights higher making the base raping impact tougher while at the same time forcing full GV assaults. This would also help encourage large bombing missions..

The issue with this is for those that have a low-end system like me would suffer the frame rate hit big time. Titanic Tuesdays kill my frame rate to almost unplayable conditions. I usually run 50-80fps on average with most graphic settings turned way down, during TT, especially in a 20+ A/C furball, I get FR as low as 5. So, I think adding rain, fog, hail , etc would be an awesome addition, but, at the same time would hinder alot of the AH players to the point of not wanting to play. Wind on the otherhand would be great. :aok
A8Chustr (Formerly A8Chewey, DasChewy) ..for a wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven. Such is the rule of honor. Lamb of God, Omerta from "Ashes of the Wake".

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2009, 12:25:21 PM »
      I meant that these things could happen like freak accidents, occuring once every year or so, and they would be map specific.  The tornados would be hilarious to watch, you would see unlucky tankers get scooped up into the air, and you would be killed if you stuck your head out.  Forest fires would also be fun. 
I can hear the newbies singing now:

"My home base is burining down, burning down, burning down.
   "My home base is burning down, curse, you, Skuzzy!"

Maybe a few floods, you know, only for a few weeks.  Then they would come back and you would have to rebuild the base.  It  would help to keep the annoying posts for the B-29 down. 

"You have angered the great HiTech, for that, your bases shall be covered for 40 days and 40 nights."
 Skuzzy 41:49

Let's get some meteorites going, too.  They would just occasisonally pummel a few sectors of map into an intransverable heap of rubble.  They would be 16', yes, not 16", 16' in diameter, and they would have an effective blast radius of one mile.  They would come in showers of about 70. If it hit something like a fuel refinery, there would be a toxic cloud of petroleum; if you so much as fired a pilot's pistol in there it would ignite, destroying everything in a huge fireball.

That reminds me, why not have the occasional toxic cloud?  They would come from destryoed chemical facilities and choke everything, or explode.  They would get you even if you were the tower.  There, your charcter would slowly choke to death, unable to move.  There would start to be a white light, and HiTech would appear before you.  Then you would slowly fall into empty, shadowed, unconcious and deathly darkness. 

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2009, 12:43:49 PM »
           I agree, the GV aspect should be made better, and the weather would make the game a lot more fun imagine, getting hit by lightning in a fully loaded Lancaster.  The explosion would be glorious!  Or maybe fist sized hail that kills pintle gunners.  How about CV killing hurricanes that tear up bases like a bad kid through paper.  Rain so heavy that it blinds you, and makes airplanes slip on the runway.  What about tornados?  You could see huge ones coming from miles away.  Picture an F5 hitting the Capitol: there would be splinters, people and even enitre houses whirling through air. 

But don't forget other forces of nature.  How about earthquakes that destroy entire regions!  one minute your preparing a mission, the next minute the base is in flames and there's a gargantuan fissure that goes down a mile right through the runway.  And as long as we're on the subject of plate techtonics, let's get a few volcanos going.    I can see the name now, Mt. HiTech spewing tens of thousands of tons lava and choking ash hundreds of feet in the air, choking man and machine alike.  Fields would be left inoperableand you would have to clean them up manually.

Not do we have land, but we have the sea as well.  Let's add a few multi-story tsunamis that simply erase entire bases off the face of the earth.  You would just see the ocean swallow them up, and when the water would recede, they would be gone.  If you were swallowed up you would be cast into a spooky underwater world, where you would slowly fall unconcious and your pilot's last few gasps of life would escape his lips like tiny shadows, and then your screen would fade into murky black.

How about a giant volcano that showers every base on the map with liquid hot MAG-MA.   :D
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."