Author Topic: Find the p40  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
Re: Find the p40
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 03:16:06 PM »

Your speedo indicates that you're going @465 mph and the P-40 (which I'm guessing you're trying to bounce) is 200 yds in front and likely going much slower.
You've already collided, you just don't know it yet. And if you really can't see him, how did you get latched onto his six?  ;)

+1 on the big red icon giving away his position.

for one the "big red icon" is not the target.. its hard to shoot at someone you dont see, even if you know they are under the icon..

The p40 was doing probably 340 or so, I had got on his 6 earlier, he was trying to drag me over his Wirble buddy in town.  200 is usually how far out I start firing from, in this case I didn't because I couldn't even see the damn plane.. i knew "where it was" but I couldent see it for the purpose of a gun solution.

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 03:19:57 PM »
Already have it.

I'm still looking for the flowered one with a picture of him holding the CUP on it. I don't think I will have to look too long. :D

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 03:21:49 PM »
It's certainly not easy to see the P-40, but it is better seen when in motion - which the screenshot doesn't show.

actually, its no better whatsoever when it is in motion.  if it was easier to see in motion, this thread would not exist.

I dont have a real life image to reference obviously but im guessing a green plane flying tree top level over a forest would perhaps actually be not really easy to see from above....  but a green plane in front of NOTHING.. except some green foliage way off in the distance..  would probably be pretty easy to see..

« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 03:26:39 PM by Wingnutt »

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 03:25:51 PM »
Disable the Plane Skins.
Strokes

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 03:26:08 PM »
Thats about what I see every flight. My problem isn't running into them, I see the big red icon, I just can't isolate the actual plane, and hence can't shoot it. I just blindly throw bullets out in the area I think he is, but I can't make out the plane's outline at all over 1/2 the time flying.

Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009, 03:44:56 PM »
Already have it.

I'm still looking for the flowered one with a picture of him holding the CUP on it. I don't think I will have to look too long. :D

Good luck. I know the Cup won't be here this year, sheesh what a crap season.

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 03:57:10 PM »
Thats about what I see every flight. My problem isn't running into them, I see the big red icon, I just can't isolate the actual plane, and hence can't shoot it. I just blindly throw bullets out in the area I think he is, but I can't make out the plane's outline at all over 1/2 the time flying.

Sounds like we could wear each other's glasses :) (But let's not and say we didn't OK?)
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2009, 04:16:46 PM »

anyone else have lots of trouble seeing aicraft against the water or in this case against trees..
granted, geen plane, green background, but should it really be that hard to see? I would think in real live, a flying airplane less than 200 meters away would be pretty easy to see, regardless of its color scheme and the background.. that and the trees hes blending into so well are FAR in the distance..
this is probably not the best example, ive seen better.. but you get the idea..
and yes, I ran right into this guy :lol
I have exactly the same problem, which is why I tend to start thinking about logging off when AH's dusk comes along and the airplanes disappear altogether when over a forest or water.
Using gamma has been suggested but that just washes everything out. AFAIK the things that would help to fix it would be to paint the water and trees with brighter colours, bump up the emissive light on the aircraft models (which would also reduce the shadow on the bottom side of the aircraft, which the game needs IMO), both of which should be easy fixes.

asw
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2009, 04:26:55 PM »
It is not that easy to see a camouflage aircraft in flight in RL. When I was in flight instructors school they showed actual photos of scenery and had us pick
out the aircraft. They were almost impossible to see at time. There was one picture that had four military aircraft in flight above a town and you really had to look to find them.
Military camouflage paint has no sheen to it. When I stationed in Vietnam I took a lot of photos of Helicopters etc. and there was not a bit of reflective sheen to them.

In the game I have my Cougar HOTAS Thurstmaster joystick set up to zoom in and out with one of the coolie hats, so if  I have a problem seeing the target just zoom in a bit.

RVflyer
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2009, 04:41:32 PM »
Good luck. I know the Cup won't be here this year, sheesh what a crap season.

Injury bug bit the Stars hard.

Oh...and some tard named AVERY :rolleyes:

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2009, 05:21:09 PM »
Turn your gamma up to 1.1, and problem should be solved. Every couple of months, I have to do that myself, since it likes to reset itself to 1.0.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2009, 05:29:48 PM »
Turn your gamma up to 1.1, and problem should be solved. Every couple of months, I have to do that myself, since it likes to reset itself to 1.0.

this defiantly helps, but the colors seem to wash out..

if it wasnt for this problem, i would probably run it at .8 gamma, the colors look more crisp that way than with 1.0 but the afore mentioned problem would just be worse.  Usability, VS beauty.. oh well, not the first time.  :frown:

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2009, 06:17:51 PM »

I might get to see the cup this year..... its been a long time since it was in Boston.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2009, 06:22:43 PM »

Biggest "wtf?" moment since we traded off Nieuwendyk and Langenbrunner.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2009, 06:25:56 PM »
It is not that easy to see a camouflage aircraft in flight in RL.

Hah!  For some of us it is not that easy to see un-camoflaged aircraft in flight in real life, particularly if they are below the horizon.  I find quite often that my eye is drawn by movement, rather than by seeing the plane.

- oldman