Author Topic: Hey HTC.....how about a bone?  (Read 4147 times)

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
Re: Hey HTC.....how about a bone?
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2009, 09:37:06 AM »
post/blog/whatever about progress towards the next update, or even about their thoughts about where the game is going in general

It would be win-win.  HTC would get less calls and posts on the topic.  They would not have to over commit - just routine FYI on new feature efforts at a high level.  Users would get a better sense of direction and expectations.  Could help with customer retention too.

+1

What a great idea!  :aok
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2009, 09:45:00 AM »
The problem is things change in game development. Example, they say they are working on adding plan XXX to the game. As they start developing the programing for it they find they don't have enough information to get the flight model to work right. While digging for info of course the art department is moving right along and posting a picture or two to wet some appetites, Now all the 2 week jokes are flying, and people are whining about "you promised plane XXX" waaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!  I don't blame them for keeping things quite with all the cry babies we have around here.

The public is to "needy" these days. Time to grow up and enjoy/work with what you have. No updates or enhancements were ever "promised" with your subscription. Be happy with what you have. That way when/if an update comes along it will be a treat!

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2009, 09:54:26 AM »
It would be win-win.  HTC would get less calls and posts on the topic.  They would not have to over commit - just routine FYI on new feature efforts at a high level.  Users would get a better sense of direction and expectations.  Could help with customer retention too.

+1

What a great idea!  :aok
Saying anything in a blog is enough of a commitment for complaints.  It's happened for pretty much every other game.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2009, 09:56:47 AM »
Have you been reading Brookes posts? I mean honestly hes spamming this board worse then ME ROFL, I really hope your post was sarcastic Beefcake

Take a closer look at Beefcakes signature, avatar, and throw a [/sarcasm] tag at the end and you'll have a little lightbulb pop on over your head.  At least I hope you will.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2009, 09:58:49 AM »
Fugitive,

As a programmer I respectfully disagree.

I mentioned that they could provide high level information thus they would not have to over commit.

Also, a good developer does not tend to advertise specifications that have not been unit and environment tested.  It is VERY predictable what can be implemented when programs are properly tested. 

HTC software tends to be very reliable I have found so that tells me they have a thorough testing environment (or they are REALLY lucky).

Slade  :salute
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2009, 10:00:18 AM »
Check my sig to see what's coming next! :D

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2009, 10:23:38 AM »
Fugitive,

As a programmer I respectfully disagree.

I mentioned that they could provide high level information thus they would not have to over commit.

Also, a good developer does not tend to advertise specifications that have not been unit and environment tested.  It is VERY predictable what can be implemented when programs are properly tested. 

HTC software tends to be very reliable I have found so that tells me they have a thorough testing environment (or they are REALLY lucky).

Slade  :salute

By the time they have it in that condition, they are rolling it out so no need to "throw a bone".

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2009, 12:52:44 PM »
the whole "if they told us anything, we would just complain" idea is laughable.

you cant honestly think that everything should be kept a secret till the last second, to avoid complaints. Doing so would cause an equal number if not more complaints.

for example, this next update.. how would it be bad for every month or so, just to get a new screen shot posted, or a few words regarding the changes improvements?

all they have to do is slap on the good ole "subject to change" sticker and they are good to go.

actually, what is being suggested isn't even a change to what is already being done, so saying its a bad idea is kinda silly, they are doing it already..    all that's being asked for is instead of 1 or 2 big information posts every few months..  post a screen shot or 2, or a few words once a month..  a constant trickle instead of a few isolated big splashes if you will.

its a moot point anyway, people complain regardless, its just a matter of how much speculation goes into the complaint.

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2009, 01:25:24 PM »
I think they just like to watch everyone squirm.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2009, 02:17:27 PM »
the whole "if they told us anything, we would just complain" idea is laughable.

its a moot point anyway, people complain regardless, its just a matter of how much speculation goes into the complaint.

People complain when they get new content.  If there is going to be whining anyway, why go through with any extra effort of putting out an "in the works" announcement.

I think when they have something definite, they let everyone know.  They know about the "two weeks" joke better than anyone else I bet.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2009, 02:31:57 PM »
Well this is what your asking for.............

We started on a new terrain system

and then two weeks later...........

Well, we weren't happy with a couple of the road layouts so we have moved a few things around, also the code has been cleaned up.

and then two weeks later.....

We're pretty happy with the terrain now. A few of the forseted areas were a bit "sparse" so we loaded them up a bit, this did necessitate a rewrite on a portion of the code, but after testing it looks like its cleaned up nicely and the bugs are all cleaned out.

I'm thinking about a month or so of updates would pass much like that.

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2009, 02:37:00 PM »
I'm thinking about a month or so of updates would pass much like that.

How long have you been a programmer?

Have you ever programmed in an enterprise environment?
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2009, 02:47:53 PM »
Have you been reading Brookes posts? I mean honestly hes spamming this board worse then ME ROFL, ...

But his posts contribute something to the community and ultimately, the game. That should be the standard for all posts.

Regards,

Hammer
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2009, 02:49:50 PM »
April 12th would be neat.
Maybe show the "progress" on the 10th of a few planes, then release on the 12th?

Also don't forget april fools' day.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2009, 02:50:32 PM »
How long have you been a programmer?

Have you ever programmed in an enterprise environment?

No I haven't but if I had the time I'd search the boards for where Pyro I believe said that this is how an update blog would look. There are weeks after weeks where they have nothing to take a screen shot of but have changed huge sections of the game in the coding. What they said was that if they did a blog it would have very little interesting information as most of it is code work. They would...as they do now... post a picture when they have one of something they update.

HTC is a very small company, a couple of artists, and couple of code writers, and a few administrators. All work is done in house. Big name software companys can post updates weekly because in those 7 days they have 100 people working 40 hours each to drive that. HTC may have 5 people doing the same work and to cover that same 4000 hours of work takes 20 weeks.