Author Topic: Hey HTC.....how about a bone?  (Read 4146 times)

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
Re: Hey HTC.....how about a bone?
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2009, 03:08:54 PM »
post a picture when they have one of something they update

Is this the only way they can inform us of cool things they are working on?

BTW, low level updates (changes at the sub-routine or individual class level) are what you described with your snapshots.  We are not asking for this at all.  Again: we are not asking for low level updates.

HTC is a very small company, a couple of artists, and couple of code writers, and a few administrators. All work is done in house. Big name software companys can post updates weekly because in those 7 days they have 100 people working 40 hours each to drive that. HTC may have 5 people doing the same work and to cover that same 4000 hours of work takes 20 weeks.

You seem to know a lot about software engineering.  So you are saying the number of programmers has a direct relationship on their ability to perform SCM (Software Configuration Management) to the degree that they cannot spend 5 minutes a month to  routinely give us a preview of what they are working on at a high level?

Example: We have begun working on say on a Ki-100 this month.  We do not need to know their test cases and SCM and QC testing practices for the K-i100.  Because they can duplicate success (they have created planes before) they know how to do it accurately and thus them not being able to produce the KI-100 in this example would not be in doubt.  They still have the flexibility to not do it too for business reasons.  An investor gave them $10k to produce an IAR-80 first for example.

To put it another way.  Are you saying they do not use standard industry programming practices (Unit Test->Environment Test->Staging->Acceptance Test phase) because of the number of resources they have, so they cannot spend a few minutes providing a high level update?

-- Flying as X15 --

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2009, 03:42:12 PM »
I'd rather they not waste the time on telling us what they are working on until it's ready.  That way it gets here all the faster :D

Seriously though, it's their company.  They can run it however they want.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline sirvlad

• Nickel Member
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2009, 04:13:37 PM »
notice they say nothing

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2009, 04:15:46 PM »
Another regurgitated subject that has been beaten to death 1000 times. This message board's nickname shouldn't be general discussion. It should be "Groundhog Day". You guys would be a lot happier if you just played the game that's out, instead of wishing to play something that's not out. Even when new content does come out, you'll just complain about how they implemented it. I know why HTC doesn't post updates all the time. Its because they cant please anyone. No matter what they say, someone is going to be crying about either how their system cant handle it, or "why didn't they put in this plane or that plane", or "wheres our nukes". Just play and be happy. If you are not happy with the current version of the game, a slightly modified new version isn't going to magically make everything better.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2009, 05:12:12 PM »
notice they say nothing

And your point is...?

I believe they have stated their position by continuing to state nothing at all. 

I really think this point of action is better than "we're doing....." and then nothing comes of it.  Even if they did announce plans in advance, people would still be too impatient to wait for said plans to come to fruition.

As it is, people are too impatient to enjoy what they have and wait patiently for what may be coming in the future.  At the very least, without being in the loop, you know something is coming eventually.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2009, 05:42:35 PM »

BTW, low level updates (changes at the sub-routine or individual class level) are what you described with your snapshots.  We are not asking for this at all.  Again: we are not asking for low level updates.

You seem to know a lot about software engineering.  So you are saying the number of programmers has a direct relationship on their ability to perform SCM (Software Configuration Management) to the degree that they cannot spend 5 minutes a month to  routinely give us a preview of what they are working on at a high level?

Example: We have begun working on say on a Ki-100 this month.  We do not need to know their test cases and SCM and QC testing practices for the K-i100.  Because they can duplicate success (they have created planes before) they know how to do it accurately and thus them not being able to produce the KI-100 in this example would not be in doubt.  They still have the flexibility to not do it too for business reasons.  An investor gave them $10k to produce an IAR-80 first for example.

To put it another way.  Are you saying they do not use standard industry programming practices (Unit Test->Environment Test->Staging->Acceptance Test phase) because of the number of resources they have, so they cannot spend a few minutes providing a high level update?

What he is saying is they are working on the game. Most would rather them work on the game.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Dm6

• Zinc Member
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2009, 06:14:21 PM »
Im think that the longer the updates take ..........Its because were getting more stuff.... or the stuff we are getting is a little harder to make happen. They are trying to please a lot of people with differant computer setups this time around.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2009, 06:15:16 PM »

But thats the point, there is nothing to report! They are working on getting everything together, run their test routines and such. Once it becomes something more substantial a "higher level" then we get info like the terrain and water effects.

Example: We have begun working on say on a Ki-100 this month.  We do not need to know their test cases and SCM and QC testing practices for the K-i100.  Because they can duplicate success (they have created planes before) they know how to do it accurately and thus them not being able to produce the KI-100 in this example would not be in doubt.  They still have the flexibility to not do it too for business reasons.  An investor gave them $10k to produce an IAR-80 first for example

Then after an announcement like this we have a hundred people crying because we don't have it yet/when are we getting it/ I want it now, rumors flying around about this load out perk charges/rates and so on. It takes a couple of months to research and put together a new plane or vehicle...just guessing... but with the small crew of experts working hard on it they still won't generate much information to report week to week.

I'm sure they understand how to do everyone of the stages they believe are necessary to get to an end product, after all they have been doing it for almost 10 years. The point is they have nothing to report, but when they do, they report it. For the big companies time is condensed due to haveing many many more people working on a single project. So after a week of 100 people working they have made large strides in the project, wheres 5 people while still being great workers will NEVER accomplish the same amount of work. So while Mega corp built and tested the Ki-100 this week and puts out a report on the capabilities with in the game engine as well as art work showing the details of rivet patterns , HTC finished its research into the flight model on the Ki-100 this week and reports they have compiled data.  See the difference, nothing to report.

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2009, 06:20:21 PM »
What he is saying is...

You can stick words that I did not say in my mouth but they are still untrue.

I am saying argue for your limitations and they are yours.

If you believe they cannot give us high level routine updates then you are stuck in your belief.  You can use your imagination to defend your belief but the fact remains the same.

Yes it is their call.

The fact is that they can do this and a significant number of customers have asked for it.  This is not debatable.  You have to be in denial or delusional not to see this (which some may be).

-- Flying as X15 --

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2009, 06:37:57 PM »
To HiTech and Company,

If possible in your busy production schedule, a few words or a picture about something coming to us soon would be appreciated. I hope all is going as expected on your end. As for myself and my squad, we are enjoying your product every day. Our wives know we aren't in bars drinking and driving which is possibly one of the best aspects of your product. It's a strange image, but your product is probably contributing to lives saved from drinking and driving fatalities nationwide.

Thank you for all the current fun, and for myself, a very happy repeat customer.    :aok
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2009, 06:55:14 PM »
If you got paid for worthless posts, you'd be a millionaire.

:rolleyes:
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2009, 10:33:54 PM »
You can stick words that I did not say in my mouth but they are still untrue.

I am saying argue for your limitations and they are yours.

If you believe they cannot give us high level routine updates then you are stuck in your belief.  You can use your imagination to defend your belief but the fact remains the same.

Yes it is their call.

The fact is that they can do this and a significant number of customers have asked for it.  This is not debatable.  You have to be in denial or delusional not to see this (which some may be).

They did give out information, terrain updates, as well as water updates. At this point that is all they have ready and are willing to release. What part of that don't you understand?  :rolleyes:

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2009, 10:56:30 PM »
But he's a pro, so HTC should do things his way.   I personally don't want to see a WIP.  I want to know when it's done or nearly done.  It kills the novelty when you already know the new feature from one month+ of blog news.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2009, 11:17:10 PM »
But he's a pro, so HTC should do things his way.   I personally don't want to see a WIP.  I want to know when it's done or nearly done.  It kills the novelty when you already know the new feature from one month+ of blog news.

+1

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2009, 12:20:15 AM »
HTC is lucky to have so many loyal customers who defend their business on any point that could possibly be brought up. :devil

They did give out information, terrain updates, as well as water updates. At this point that is all they have ready and are willing to release. What part of that don't you understand?  :rolleyes:

Just to play devil's advocate, Slade explicitly said that simple pics posted at the HTC website are not a "high level update," whatever that would be. :lol
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 12:23:21 AM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!