Author Topic: Simple Build, 100% dedicated for AHII only - Help/Input Needed  (Read 2076 times)

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
Re: Simple Build, 100% dedicated for AHII only - Help/Input Needed
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2009, 12:54:03 PM »
For 116 more you can get a much better and faster system then this.  I have the system posted with its benchmarks.  Look for the E8400 OC post

Possibly, but I'm keeping within two major specifications he made. It's under $1,000 dollars, and it will run AHII, and it will do that at max settings to boot. 100+ might get you a faster comp but it breaks the 1k limit, that and this is already a fast enough build to dominate anything AHII is going to throw at it. Actually now that I notice it (since I forgot it :o ) I would spend that little extra bit on a sound card.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 12:57:32 PM by AirFlyer »
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2009, 04:23:05 PM »
I would spend that little extra bit on a sound card.
The extra monies on the system would out bench one with two cards  Since its using DDR3 FSB at 1800 (can clock up to 2200) and the processor linked and synced at 4.01.  This is a 24/7 OC for the E8400.  I do not know of any DDR2 boards that can get these specs and be a 24/7 rig
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 04:26:08 PM by TilDeath »

Offline Miller

• Zinc Member
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2009, 07:16:09 PM »
horrible VC choice
horrible HD choice
overkill on CPU
wouldnt be my choice of MB at that price point...

Well, since I have heard that AHII is more dependent on CPU than on VC, I chose to go over on CPU and under on VC.
The hard drive only needs to store OS, drivers, and AHII.  I Don't need anything special for Hard drive.

As for the mother board and CPU, I will probably go with something different once I get things figured out.

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2009, 07:43:50 PM »
Well, since I have heard that AHII is more dependent on CPU than on VC, I chose to go over on CPU and under on VC.
The hard drive only needs to store OS, drivers, and AHII.  I Don't need anything special for Hard drive.

As for the mother board and CPU, I will probably go with something different once I get things figured out.

Just because it is CPU heavy is no reason to skimp on a GPU.  I use a Mid-range AMD and an older NVidia card and do fine in the game, keep a good balance of the two.
   I keep 60Framerate with Hi-res pack, sliders 9/10 way up, AA x8(or is it x16) and 1280x1024. (AMD X2 4850e $65 and NVidia 7900GS $100)
Only reason for overkill now is if you plan to play other games, or don't want to upgrade for many years.

Just would hate to see any money wasted due to skimping at all and having something fail (or fail to live up to expectations), I made that mistake and am paying for it as I have been replacing parts slowly with higher end things.  This PC worth about 500-600$ cost almost 2grand over 2 years now.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2009, 08:04:34 PM »

if you spent another 60 or so total you would have a rig instead of a putter

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2009, 09:47:01 PM »
The extra monies on the system would out bench one with two cards  Since its using DDR3 FSB at 1800 (can clock up to 2200) and the processor linked and synced at 4.01.  This is a 24/7 OC for the E8400.  I do not know of any DDR2 boards that can get these specs and be a 24/7 rig

Getting DDR3 RAM means a more expensive mobo and such. An other issue I'm seeing with your build in the beginning of the thread is it didn't have an OS or a sound card. Making your 100 dollar more rig somewhere in the price range of 300+ more. I know you said it's user preference and thats why you didn't add it, but it's still required (the OS anyways). And to these means I just sort of see it as pointless, faster yes, but at what cost? Does an AHII comp really need to be that fast? IMO no, hell I used to run the game on a FX5500 and 1GB of RAM. Granted I've moved on from those days and use a build similar to the one I built and it will do anything AHII needs it to and more. Thats just my opinion, take it for what it's worth, I'm an 18 year old comp enthusiast, I don't hold any degrees of that sort so I suppose my opinion is moot. Hope this doesn't come off harsh, just my overall opinion of the situation and in no means meant to anger anyone.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2009, 10:02:41 PM »
If all you want to do is play AH then get a Core2Duo, an LGA775 motherboard and a better video card.

While the I7 platform will be better in terms of future upgrades the 775 chips aren't exactly slow, particularily for the limited demands of AH and they'll still be around running in rigs for several years.  In the meantime I7 prices will drop, new technologies will be released and when it's time to upgrade again you'll still have to start over.

Also, drop the 750W PCP&C, go with the 610 and save yourself a few more bucks then get a bigger hard drive.  They are cheap.

The way you quoted that machine you're going to be GPU limited.  Better to be component balanced.  You'll be much happier when your GPU isn't choking.

I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2009, 11:13:44 PM »
Getting DDR3 RAM means a more expensive mobo and such. An other issue I'm seeing with your build in the beginning of the thread is it didn't have an OS or a sound card. Making your 100 dollar more rig somewhere in the price range of 300+ more. I know you said it's user preference and thats why you didn't add it, but it's still required (the OS anyways). And to these means I just sort of see it as pointless, faster yes, but at what cost? Does an AHII comp really need to be that fast? IMO no, hell I used to run the game on a FX5500 and 1GB of RAM. Granted I've moved on from those days and use a build similar to the one I built and it will do anything AHII needs it to and more. Thats just my opinion, take it for what it's worth, I'm an 18 year old comp enthusiast, I don't hold any degrees of that sort so I suppose my opinion is moot. Hope this doesn't come off harsh, just my overall opinion of the situation and in no means meant to anger anyone.
We are all entitled to our opinions.  The 60 or so I stated is using DDR3 1800 and the Gigabyte MB.  Being in the business over 27 years building and currently specking and building 30+ systems per week, I know what works what specs good and what benches good overall.  This is not a hit and miss go to newegg and look for parts and pricing.  Specking out a successful rig takes a lot of time.  Time invested in trying out MBs Mem Video cards and finding out which will give the most bang for the buc.  You can take the same MB and Processor and place 5 different 9800GTXs all with similar specs (meaning not SSC or SC editions) and you will get 5 different benchmarks, some close some with 300 points difference.  Now do the same thing with memory and 5 different boards.... some will OC well over manufacture specs on some boards other barely get to spec.  I have been playing Air Warrior and AH for a number of years.  I have yet to use or need a soundcard.

The very High End gaming machines go tri or quad SLI there is no room for a soundcard on the board.  I do not sell any rigs to anyone unless I have tested the parts I put in them on my own and in the same configurations.  I sell about 12 or 14 different rigs of various price ranges.  Those of you who have bought or talked to me about a system all know this.  I stick with what I know works and experiment on my own stuff not at the expense of someone making a purchase.

On Friday I had a guy here from these forums to look at the system I specked out... he could not believe what he saw.  He instantly placed and order and this was when I will still tuning the system in.  Point being... nothing in the world counts more then experience, not degrees or licences, read world applications and how they work in that world period.

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2009, 11:57:47 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I don't think your build is wrong or bad in performance. I just think it's overkill for AH.

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2009, 05:53:43 AM »
i agree a mid rang 775 can run AHII just fine.. but intel shot itself in the foot when they brought out the i7's in terms of people who want to spend money on new builds IMHO..  the i7 i overkill for just about anything out there gaming wise or anything else. but when it comes to future upgrades.. the cost of future upgrading to a faster 775 chip would be more then if you had started out with the i7 920 to start with.  even thought it is overkill.  when i buy a system i always consider that. which is why i went with AMD. i can slap the latest and fasted AM3 chip in my motherboard with no extra cost to myself. all those with 775 boards well if you want the latest and fastest chip. guess what. to get to the performaces of the lowest i7 chip your gonna spend 1300+ on the x9770 or switch out your entire MB and chip and memory which is a minimum of 600-700 for the i7 920/MB/memory.  So ask yourself when buying a 775 system these days. is this rig gonna do everything i want it to do for now and the future.  if you can say yes then go with the 775 rig. if not then the cost of going with a new build i7 920 build is only 200-300 more but will be more then ever need for years to come. 

Offline Miller

• Zinc Member
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2009, 07:11:49 AM »
I'm really not looking to build a balanced system, and even if the bigger hard drive cost just a little bit more, I don't have any use for the extra GB. 
I just made the assumption that I needed a kick-ass CPU and assumed the i7 was a good choice, but if a cheaper CPU will give me the same results in AHII, then I will go with it.
I also assumed that since the game wasn't graphics-card dependent that the one I selected would be fine.  But, if I truly need a better graphics card to improve AHII frame-rates, then I need to know how much better it needs to be.

All I really want is to turn all the AHII graphics settings up 100% and get the best frame rates (what is the highest FPS possible?). 
At the same time, I want to use the lowest-priced parts to make that happen.

All I ask is that everyone keep that simple requirement in mind when you are giving advice.
I have no idea how to tell what the results will be with various parts, that's why I am asking a everyone on here for input.
Bashing my hard-drive choice doesn't seem to be advice that is relevant to my requirements. 
I would say I just need to figure out the motherboard, CPU, memory, graphics card, and power supply.

There are some things that I am dead-set on:  I want to use an Intel CPU, I want to use XP, and I want to use a 700W+ PC Power & Cooling PS.
Whether or not those are wise choices, I don't think anyone will convince me not to use them.

I do appreciate everyone's advice and discussion, it's helping me a lot as far as getting an idea of what I need and don't need.  I will probably end up going with what the majority recommends, so more input would be great.  If you agree with what anyone else has already recommended, I would like to hear about it.

Thanks Everyone.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 08:03:10 AM by Miller »

Offline Miller

• Zinc Member
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2009, 09:13:00 AM »
After going back through this thread I have taken the advice repeated by many people and come up with a new plan:

Motherboard ---- $159.99
EVGA 123-YW-E175-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU ------------ $164.99
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400

Memory --------- $71.99
OCZ ReaperX HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPX800EB4GK

Video Card ----- $129.99
EVGA 512-P3-N975-AR GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

PS ------------ $104.99
PC Power & Cooling S75CF 750W EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX and below) CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Sound Card ----- $49.99
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

Hard drive ------ $41.99
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Case ---------- $149.99
Antec Skeleton Black ATX Mini Tower Computer Case

DVD-ROM ------- $24.99
Pioneer 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DVR-116DBK - OEM

OS ------------- $89.99
Microsoft Windows XP Home SP3 for System Builders

Subtotal ------- $988.90  :aok :rock

Now what do you guys think about this build?  More balance, less overkill, and the price is right!

I guess I don't need the i7, since the world is going to end in 3 years, the C2D should hold up until then.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 09:22:03 AM by Miller »

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2009, 10:09:45 AM »
I'd go with a bit of a cheaper case like the Antec 900 or Tildeath's NZXT Tempest.

Other than that I like the build. I prefer ATI but that is personal.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 10:11:27 AM by Getback »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2009, 10:29:32 AM »
If all you want to do is play AH then get a Core2Duo, an LGA775 motherboard and a better video card.

While the I7 platform will be better in terms of future upgrades the 775 chips aren't exactly slow, particularily for the limited demands of AH and they'll still be around running in rigs for several years.  In the meantime I7 prices will drop, new technologies will be released and when it's time to upgrade again you'll still have to start over.

Also, drop the 750W PCP&C, go with the 610 and save yourself a few more bucks then get a bigger hard drive.  They are cheap.

The way you quoted that machine you're going to be GPU limited.  Better to be component balanced.  You'll be much happier when your GPU isn't choking.
+1

Like I posted before, I think a lot of what is being posted is quite overkill for AH.  There's no need for OCing this machine.  I'd rather see him save money where he can and use it to better peripherals, maybe some rudder peddals or new joy or new monitor.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2009, 12:16:33 PM »
Miller, that is a much better system.  It's still overkill for AH.  If you really wanted you could probably still shave $300 off that system and run AH at full settings.  As that sytem stands you'll be go to go for several years without having to upgrade it.

I'm running a system very similar to that and run full graphic details, high res textures and everything in the NVidia control panal maxed out and never drop below my monitors refresh rate of 60 fps.

As to your question about frame rates there is no limit (I had my rig SLI'd for a short time running almost 300 fps in AH) but if you are using an LCD monitor you'll want to lock the video card to the monitor's refresh rate otherwise you'll get graphic tearing which is really annoying.

As to video cards, I'd personally set the 9800 GT as a lower limit although you could squeek by with a 9600 GT.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.