Author Topic: Trying new moves, suggestions?  (Read 1941 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Re: Trying new moves, suggestions?
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2009, 11:34:43 AM »
Here is one. Not so much an ACM as a general flying suggestion.

All to often I see a bunch of people chasing some lone con on the deck.
Which in itself is fine. But from above it literally looks like a school of fish chasing a guppy with some people so far back I dont understand why they are even bothering.
In any event. You look like a school of fish. Everyone following the same path. which means everyone is thinking alike which means nobody but the front two or three are thinking at all.

Now the rest of this holds just as true in a 1 V 1 fight as it does in the scenario I just mentioned above.
concentrate 20% about where the con currently is. Concentrate 40% on where the con is going. and 40% on getting your nose there first.

Cant tell you how many times I've snatched a kill from the school of fish playing with their food by simply not becoming part of the school of fish.

Example. Con is running from the school but headed toward a mountain. Now obviously at some point this con is going to have to turn.
If your in the back of the pack. Instead of becoming one of the lemmings. Break off and head to the area you think he is most likely to turn to.
If you are right, Unlike your comrades you will get there the same time as he does and will have alot more E to play with then your counterparts who have been twisting and turning with the cons every move.
And even if your wrong. you have just limited the cons choices for an escape route thus speeding up his demise so the rest of the lemmings can get ready for the  rest of the inbound cons that have a 10 K advantage that have arrived while all the fish were chasing the 1 guppy.

Also I can tell you how many bad situations I've gotten out of because my opponent was more concerned about where I was. Then where I was planning on going and how fast I was planning on going there. that is one of the main reasons why you manage to get the B&Zers to auger into the side of a hill.
they get so consumed with keeping you in their gunsights. the dont think about the fact your inverted and about to head the other way. you use their very strength against them. Their speed. You being slower will always be able to turn tighter then a plane comming in at mach 3. (Is why I dont worry about high cons)
they try to turn with you and then end up with one of those Ut oh moments just before the explosion.

Speaking of planes comming in at mach 3
Ok here is an ACM for ya. Im sure there is a name for it that someone will point out.
Enemy is screaming in on your 6.
Start a gradual turn to in this case Ill say left to force the overshoot. then instead of continuing with the turn, Roll in the same direction you were turning so you are back on almost your original heading
this can have the same effect of chopping the throttle to force the overshoot and you havent given up much in the way of E. and often puts you on the cons 6 and thus on the defensive. Take the shot. Even if you miss him you will often cause him to abandon the zoom out  and cause him to start doing evasive s. which causes him to waste his E which in the end will be his undoing.
If you miss and he continues to zoom out and goes into a  climb and has superior E. Do NOT continue to follow him up. Roll over and head in the opposite direction and extend.
If his E state is roughly equal to yours and he continues to climb anyway
Check your 6 for that other guy thats about to nail you that you didnt know was there before following him up (the millisecond it takes you may save you an unwanted trip to the tower)
DONT count on someone else giving you a check 6. and dont whine about not getting one because you were stupid enough  not to recognize you were being set up.

Always make the high con come to you And always know where he is and where he is going in relation to you.
Avoid his zooms  and Make him waste more and more of his e with each zoom and climb out while building yours.
If you can. climb and extend in the opposite direction on his dive. If he sticks around long enough. eventually you will be the one with alt advantage
Once your  alt and E is relatively Equal or yours is superior. have at him.
This is the airborne equivalent of denying combat until you are fighting on ground of your own choosing

The idea is to use his advantage against him until he no longer has an advantage or gets impatient and does something stupid.

Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline FALCONWING

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2009, 12:29:34 PM »
In terms of a specific move get together with skyrock and ask him to show you a form of a scissors that you use with a very fast plane coming up behind you...one of my favorite moves to this day...

I'll try to explain...you have a faster plane diving on you from your six....you fly staright and watch him close on you...at about 800 you CUT THROTTLE and turn hard and flat in one direction (a very hard partly blacking out turn)

NOW they have 3 options....

1. they pull hard with you bleeding their e trying ot get a snapshot on you
2. they reduce throttle thinking you were going to turn and pull hard to get a snapshot
3. they keep their speed/e up and haul by you or go vert on you

Your second move is to reverse your turn essentially completing the S and you are now flying back in your original direction...

If they did 1 or 2 they cant maintain behind you (they are still too fast) and that series of turns puts them right on top of you likely sliding in front of you (use your rear views and rear up to see where they are)...you can follow them and have great opportunities with snapshots and getting on their six...

If they are smart and did option 3...then you may get a split second of 400-600 distance to fire a shot at them...

nice little move when used at the right time.....
SECRET ANTI-BBS BULLY CLUB

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2009, 12:49:45 PM »
When someone shoots at you..... MOVE OUT OF THE WAY!

I would make that one my number one move.  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2009, 01:15:15 PM »
Two bits of advice I'll throw out there:

First and foremost, try not to rely on an aircraft's flat, sustained turning ability.  It will very rarely be the deciding factor against an even mediocre virtual stick.  If you find yourself banked 90 degrees from the ground with the stick yanked back all the way, looking out of the top of your canopy, you've done something wrong.

Secondly, use your engine.  The throttle has far more positions than "WEP on" and "WEP off."  In a low and slow fight, your engine can allow you claw above an opponent with a lesser power to weight ratio.  In a disadvantaged situation, slowing down can reverse your position from defensive to offensive in seconds.

Beyond that, you really need some hands-on time.  Learning ACM is a long process; typically in years, and it cant be fully explained in text.  Sure, you can describe maneuvers and write out 'how-to' guides but, at the end of the day, you really need seat time to be able to get the feel for successfully mixing the then best option for the ever changing situation. 

It is as much an art as it is a science and of the hundreds of options available for an infinite number of tactical situations, you need to be able to think 5 seconds ahead and employ the maneuver best suited to A.) What has happened, B.) What is happening and C.) What will happen.

If you can choose the best options for all three points of the fight, you get a kill.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2009, 01:17:06 PM »
In terms of a specific move get together with skyrock and ask him to show you a form of a scissors that you use with a very fast plane coming up behind you...one of my favorite moves to this day...

I'll try to explain...you have a faster plane diving on you from your six....you fly staright and watch him close on you...at about 800 you CUT THROTTLE and turn hard and flat in one direction (a very hard partly blacking out turn)

NOW they have 3 options....

1. they pull hard with you bleeding their e trying ot get a snapshot on you
2. they reduce throttle thinking you were going to turn and pull hard to get a snapshot
3. they keep their speed/e up and haul by you or go vert on you

Your second move is to reverse your turn essentially completing the S and you are now flying back in your original direction...

If they did 1 or 2 they cant maintain behind you (they are still too fast) and that series of turns puts them right on top of you likely sliding in front of you (use your rear views and rear up to see where they are)...you can follow them and have great opportunities with snapshots and getting on their six...

If they are smart and did option 3...then you may get a split second of 400-600 distance to fire a shot at them...

nice little move when used at the right time.....
Basically the same ting I said. cept I dont always chop my throttle. and dont always pull hard.
Pulling had costs E. Better to be smooth and fluid in your movements sometimes
Often the con is comming in so damn fast. You dont need to.the move itself bleeds enough of your e to have the same effect. and you dont loose as much as you would from chopping your throttle.
Course each situation is different. Sometimes I do chop throttle. But it depends on the situation
Experience doing it and you do one or the other instictively without even thinking about it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 01:20:38 PM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline FALCONWING

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2009, 04:09:45 PM »
Basically the same ting I said. cept I dont always chop my throttle. and dont always pull hard.
Pulling had costs E. Better to be smooth and fluid in your movements sometimes
Often the con is comming in so damn fast. You dont need to.the move itself bleeds enough of your e to have the same effect. and you dont loose as much as you would from chopping your throttle.
Course each situation is different. Sometimes I do chop throttle. But it depends on the situation
Experience doing it and you do one or the other instictively without even thinking about it.

If you dont substantially reduce your speed then a decent stick behind you will have already reduced his when he sees you move and can follow a gentler turn...all depends on the speed/e of you and the con behind you of course.... :salute
SECRET ANTI-BBS BULLY CLUB

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2009, 10:27:12 PM »
Too fast or too slow is equaly useless. Being at the right speed in comparison to the attacker's speed is a narrow window and either side is failiure.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Sincraft

• Nickel Member
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2009, 10:40:58 PM »
Too fast or too slow is equaly useless. Being at the right speed in comparison to the attacker's speed is a narrow window and either side is failiure.

well said, that is what I'm trying to learn.  I watch some guys do a dance with any plane with 5 attackers and wonder how they can continue.

Thanks for the posts guys, and snippets.  Some a little obvious and great for the n00bs, and some for us folks trying to take it to a new level, and maybe even some for the folks that have their wings officially.

Great group of people here!

Offline Sincraft

• Nickel Member
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2009, 11:02:21 PM »
Yea, I can only manage a pathetic 3.20 K/D flying noob easymode planes like Jugs  I guess I should watch more dogfights   :aok

Sorry this stuck out, the only easy mode plane imo is the spit 16.  Due to collision code and obvious time to server then client - the spit 16 does (what appears on my screen) to do manuvers that there is no way it could possibly do without another set of wings, then it flies on like it's a jet afterwards.  I'm a little bitter about this plane and the funky chicken aka stick stirring defense in this plane.  I guess HTC decided to offset this by making their wings uber soft?  dunno hehe.

3.2 k/d, that's pretty good. Don't think I ever got to that.  I might if I tried hard to avoid, but I lose my k/d in missions and attempts to keep bases from being taken.  I'd be interested in knowing how many people keep their k/d ratios decent.  People like you Wing probably could even be higher if you didn't try to save bases etc..

SHAWK for example, is ALWAYS in the fray...I dunno how he retains his k/d ratio.  base being vulched, he's there...fruitless mission, he's there... lol

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2009, 11:45:20 PM »
Yea, I can only manage a pathetic 3.20 K/D flying noob easymode planes like Jugs  I guess I should watch more dogfights   :aok

What?  :huh
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 12:07:20 AM by MachFly »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s