Author Topic: wolves in texas?  (Read 880 times)

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
Re: wolves in texas?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 10:02:25 AM »
You guys in NewYork may be seeing canis lupus lycaon in the gray wolf family.  Real common in that part of the country. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 10:08:39 AM »
My vote is a pack of Red Talons marauding around in the back woods.

:noid
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 10:25:01 AM »
You guys in NewYork may be seeing canis lupus lycaon in the gray wolf family.  Real common in that part of the country. 

Even so, just from looking at wikipedia (I know, I know), it doesn't look like they're officially credited with being in the region.  Do you have an actual good link?  You seem to know your stuff on this.  I'm kind of curious if there's any evidence that they are also in the more wild parts of CT.  I could swear I've seen wolves in the northern corners of the state...
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 11:31:47 AM »
Where do you live. Are you sure you not mistaking it for a bobcat. They look vary similar to the point that it is common ppl will misID them.

I forgot to point out that Lynx are common in cooler climate. So, i am guessing that you are in Candana.

I knew you would say that. ;) I was with a game warden and he knows his animals.

Eastern Ontario

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 12:06:07 PM »
MiloMorai,  thats great you guys saw a lynx.  They are vary hard to see in the wild as they tend to hind them self's around humans.   :aok

Vudak.  I have a degree in wildlife Biology.  One of the professor is one of the most respected mammologist in the country.  In fact he is from CT.  As for wolfs in that area, it is vary possible that there my be a pack the in there. 

Most Americans don't realized this, between gray wolf and Red wolf, there are pack(s) scatter through out America.  Some pack my vary well roamed beyon where they where reintroduce. 
For example, the Yellowstone National Park reintroduction of wolf of 1995.  They have grown to a population of 170 and 14 or 15 packs.  The latest report on their range is moving closer to Colorado, Utah, well into Idaho, and Montania. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 09:52:19 AM »
I live in Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas.  (Yes...I really do live in a National Park)...and we are right next door, Txmom.  Most are visible from the back deck, front yard, or back yard.

So far, the wildlife list here includes:

Coyotes, bears, wild turkeys, deer, bobcats, wolves, red fox, grey fox, wild boar, racoons, opossums, squirrels, more bird species than I care to mention, and not personally seen but rumored: pumas/black panthers. 

If all the tourists would stop dropping garbage and feeding the animals they wouldn't be so dependant on man.  (We do leave out wild bird feed, although hawks and bald eagles don't eat seed.)

Oh...and a BIG  :salute there mom.  Hug dad and the munchkins for us!  :aok

ROX

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 11:26:10 AM »
Your lucky ROX living in the national park boundery.  My wife and i where looking at a house within the rocky mountain national park.  Still would love it.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline TEXAS20

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2009, 11:36:27 AM »
Mom..

Whats really amazing is the jaguar is back in the U.S.  I know this is old news but it still really cool to imagine running into a spotted cat while in the brush.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/02/090225-jaguar-picture.html

I have never seen a wolf here but when I was younger I saw at black bear at our place near Rocksprings TX. This was back before it was commonly know that black bears were ranging north out of Mexico.  For years my family thought I was fibbing about the bear sighting. Now you see pictures of them at deer feeders in west Texas posted on the net.   :salute
The rules are simple:  Don't be a dick.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2009, 12:18:45 PM »
Check this out.

I have some acreage southwest of Tucson. My brother lives on next lot over.

Couple of months ago he told me to be careful and make sure I'm armed when I'm out there because he and his wife were walking to a neighbor's one evening when they heard something following them and making growling cat noises.

They are pretty self reliant individuals, but this frightened them both quite a bit.

Could have been a cougar come down from the mountains, but they generally stick to higher altitudes.

Fast forward a couple of months and a live jaguar is captured in the same general area.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 12:26:06 PM by jimson »

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2009, 12:30:44 AM »
eek jimson!

My kids heard rumor that there was some kind of big cat nearby. They decided to make an adventure of it & go find it.  I was horrified... I think the worst thing I tried to catch as a kid was bullfrogs.  I send them out with a phone now so they can dime-drop on one another when one gets a dangerous idea.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2009, 12:38:06 AM »
Check this out.

Couple of months ago he told me to be careful and make sure I'm armed when I'm out there because he and his wife were walking to a neighbor's one evening when they heard something following them and making growling cat noises.

They are pretty self reliant individuals, but this frightened them both quite a bit.

Could have been a cougar come down from the mountains, but they generally stick to higher altitudes.

Fast forward a couple of months and a live jaguar is captured in the same general area.

Mountain Loin will wonder farther away fromt he home, up to 100 miles just to hunt food.  It is possible that food was scars in the mountains that it came down into the city.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2009, 08:44:15 PM »
This months Fur-Fish-Game Magazine has a little blurb about the populations of wolves in some parts of the country getting large enough to warrant a short hunting season, so I can believe that they might be spreading out into "new" areas that they used to roam, like Texas and the mountains of the Northeast.

I talked to my cousin who works for the Massachusetts DEC, and he told me in the same breath that "There are no wolves in New England, but we get reports of wolves in the remote and rural areas on a monthly basis".
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2009, 08:57:35 PM »
Check this out.

San Diego for a couple of years had a nasty mountain lion problem, people back attacked in the back country and mountain lions cruising around some suburb neighborhoods.  I think they allowed some control hunting after a female jogger was killed and partially eaten by one about 10 years ago in Cuyamaca.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song