Author Topic: Do I need more computer/FPS for AHII?  (Read 538 times)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Do I need more computer/FPS for AHII?
« on: March 29, 2009, 10:14:36 AM »
I have an Intel E8400 with 2Gig of RAM, and a good Nvidia card, forget the number. I have the graphics turned up to maximum, hi-res text pack, 1024x768 resolution on a 22" CRT. Anti-aliasing cranked up to maximum (16q) on the Nvidia. FR never falls below 50, and would sit at at least 85fps 90% of the time if I hadn't locked it at 60. Couple of questions: Is there any benefit in the game to having frame-rates faster than this? Would simply upgradin to 4Gig of RAM benefit me in the game at all?
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Do I need more computer/FPS for AHII?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 10:48:15 AM »
That's a no to both questions. As long as your framerate stays at 60 you're not going to notice slowdowns. And 2 gigs of ram is plenty for AH2.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 11:57:35 AM »
That's a no to both questions. As long as your framerate stays at 60 you're not going to notice slowdowns. And 2 gigs of ram is plenty for AH2.
+1
The E8400 is a screamer of a chip... see here http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,261571.0.html

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 12:07:48 PM »
I wouldn't bother with FPS, anything over 60 is as good as you need. If anything I would look into a higher resolution if I were you.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 12:17:53 PM »
Whats your monitors refresh rate.
your framerate wont go up past that anyway

60 is fine
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 06:58:49 PM »
Whats your monitors refresh rate.
your framerate wont go up past that anyway

60 is fine

Not exactly true.  Your frame rate can run up to it's maximum as long as you don't have your card locked to your monitor's refresh rate, however, if you allow this on an LCD monitor you'll experience graphic tearing.

When I installed a second 8800 GTS 512 in my system in SLI I could no longer lock to my refresh rate no matter what I tried.  I was in-game running well over 200 fps (almost 300 at times) but the tearing was so annoying I pulled the second card and returned it.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 08:25:22 PM »
Thanks for all answers guys.  :)
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Miller

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 03:55:24 AM »
Is 60 FPS pretty much the standard on all monitors?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 06:00:53 AM »
60Hz is the vertical referesh rate of most LCD panels.  Some newer ones are using 120Hz now.

With Aces High II, you always want the vertical sync rate to be honored.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 02:43:29 PM »
Is there any benefit in the game to having frame-rates faster than this?

The human eye can see at about 32FPS and can notice oddities up around 40 if you're really looking intently. Basically, if the graphics slow down but maintain above those levels, a human eye still won't be able to tell.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 03:00:07 PM »
Not entirely true. When dealing with film (which includes blurring) or animation (cells, frames, etc) the eye will accept as low as 30 fps before it starts seeing too many gaps/stutters/halts. However, the human eye can see a lot more detail than that. That was simply a bare minimum standard at the turn of the 20th century (this is the 21st century) and shouldn't be taken to mean "you only need 30 fps".

You can see a difference between 30, 40, and 60+ frames per second in games. Usually this is because it's an indicator of overall system performance and imperfections catch the eye more.

I'd like to see a 120Hz LCD in the 20" (or more) range that costs less than $200. Doubt I will within 5 years though  :devil

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 03:15:28 PM »
Not entirely true. When dealing with film (which includes blurring) or animation (cells, frames, etc) the eye will accept as low as 30 fps before it starts seeing too many gaps/stutters/halts. However, the human eye can see a lot more detail than that. That was simply a bare minimum standard at the turn of the 20th century (this is the 21st century) and shouldn't be taken to mean "you only need 30 fps".

You can see a difference between 30, 40, and 60+ frames per second in games. Usually this is because it's an indicator of overall system performance and imperfections catch the eye more.

I'd like to see a 120Hz LCD in the 20" (or more) range that costs less than $200. Doubt I will within 5 years though  :devil
+1
But I expect that 5 year range to be in the 2 year range.  I paid $500 in 2004 for a Hercules Prophetview 17" LCD.  20ms response and 450:1 contrast.  My 20" Viewsonic with 5ms with 800:1 contrast was $230 after MIR, 2 years ago.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Miller

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 05:39:34 PM »

I was gonna say, when my FPS ever hits like 50 I can tell before I check it.  I get used to seeing it around 30fps, but sometimes when I am making a turn or something I am thinking, "Man the game sure looks good tonight," and then I check the fps and its up @ 50+, and I say "oh, that's why."

But I would agree, when it drops below 30fps I start getting irritated.  The difference from 30 to 20 is much more noticeable than the difference from 30 to 50.  At least for me it is.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 06:55:15 PM »
Hmmm...but no benefit to anything much above 60 aye?

The maximum refresh rate on my monitor is 85 so I've never seen anything faster than that.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 07:47:16 PM »
The benefits above that are more related to overall smooth running of the game. You won't notice them as much.