Author Topic: I don't understand something  (Read 868 times)

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Re: I don't understand something
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 10:49:55 AM »
Only implementable if they get rid of that ridiculous "fly for five minutes shooting at stuff on fire" some planes have. Burning plane should get like 20 seconds, as an absolute maximum, just enough for a "From Hell's heart I stab at thee" snapshot on the overshoot.
For whatever reason, only jap planes seem to do that. jug catches fire, ya are in tower inside 25 seconds...ZEKE catches fire....1-2 min :mad:
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 10:53:50 AM »
Thanks for the clear-up I hope someday they implement the new scoring system. :salute

I'll believe it when I see it! ;)
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 11:36:54 AM »
For whatever reason, only jap planes seem to do that. jug catches fire, ya are in tower inside 25 seconds...ZEKE catches fire....1-2 min :mad:

Lit up a Spit last night, he flew around on fire shooting at people for quite awhile. Just saying.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 11:50:03 AM »
That would fix the kill-stealing. But there's still the problem of times where you inflict the fatal damage, but still don't get the kill because someone else scattered more non-damaging hits on the target. Happens to me all the time against Spitfires. Short burst rips off his wing (or if I'm close enough, BOTH) or I put a single .50cal round through his cockpit when he has no other damage (no PW, no fuel leak, no smoking engine, no missing control surfaces, gear, radiator or any other component) and I still only get an assist.  :P

IMO, the "kill points" should only be applied when component failure/damage occurs, and different components should be weighted differently. Say, any sort of clearly fatal damage (PK, horizontal or vertical stabs, whole wings, rear fuselage, etc) is worth 30 "points," a PW worth 20, half a wing is 15, with the other components going down from there depending on how significantly it affects flight. And damage points will be accumulative. Blow off his whole wing, and if the wing was intact you also get points for all the components attached (guns, ailerons, flaps, gear, etc) as well. However, if that plane is already damaged by someone else when you do (say, gear and guns shot out on that side) you only get the points for the wing and whatever component is left. That way just HITTING the target doesn't count. You have to actually knock something off of him.

If the damage model ever gets more detailed than the "All or Nothing" system we have (so, put a bunch of holes in a guy's wings and he may just not be able to generate enough lift to stay in the air even though the main spar holds them on the plane) points could be used for hitting the target while still weighting component failure. But as it stands, it's frustrating to cause fatal damage with a lighter weapon, only to lose the kill because someone else landed a 30mm round even though it caused no damage whatsoever a half hour earlier and the shooter isn't even in film viewer tracking range (I've had that happen, too. Guy's about to land a sector away and gets the kill on someone he hit but failed to damage when I blow his wing off).

On the flip side of that if someone damages all but the last hit point of a wing, and you come along and hit him with 3 .303s and his wing pops off, do you really deserve the kill?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 12:10:00 PM by Murdr »

Offline Tr1gg22

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 11:52:27 AM »
I would love to see another kill system go into effect.. Once a critical hit is made were a pilot can not control there aircraft.. How would u score it if u took half a wing off and he was trying to rtb which happens...Then someone else finishes him off...Maybe a half kill with split perkies? :salute
"CO" of the Wobblin Gobblins...

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 12:58:45 PM »
Burning plane should get like 20 seconds, as an absolute maximum, just enough for a "From Hell's heart I stab at thee" snapshot on the overshoot.

Ahab the Airman?

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2009, 02:00:20 PM »
Don't follow the horde. You wont get your kills stolen.
Strokes

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2009, 02:48:02 PM »
Don't follow the horde. You wont get your kills stolen.

Nah, you'll just get ganged to death by THEIR horde. :devil

Seriously though, of all the things we complain about on the BBS, outright deliberate kill-stealing/12 clearing is the most indefensible and reprehensible, outside of actual cheating.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 02:51:48 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2009, 03:42:45 PM »
A whole wing, tail, or all v- or h-stabs should end damage tallies.  Fires too, maybe?

Yeah, excluding only losing 1 vstab on a 2 engine bird like P38.  I don't know about fires, kind of the gray area.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2009, 05:21:19 PM »
FYI, elevators can be blown off L/R. Once you lose the whole stab, the other one always goes with it. I'd really like to see that fixed.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.