Author Topic: using mode 3 and 4 in the game  (Read 1048 times)

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
using mode 3 and 4 in the game
« on: March 30, 2009, 07:13:30 PM »
I searched and really didn't find anything on this and I think this is the right place.

There are 4 modes that can be used, but I only seem to be able to use the air and GV modes in the game. I recently started using the TrackIR system and in some of the Aircraft that I like to fly sometime TrackIR just isn't a possibility it's because of the poor rear views. I was wondering how you set up the extra modes so I can utilize them for those aircraft.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 07:33:28 PM by Cajunn »
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
Re: using mode 3 and 4 in the game
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 08:23:15 PM »
You want to go into the clipboard where you set up your controller and select whichever mode you want to map either 3 or 4.  Then click on the button that copies control mode one.  Since you are using TIR you will probably have to go in and edit the view commands to get them how you want them.  Once you have that done go into key mapping and set a key to select mode 3 or 4 (whatever one you used obviously).  You need to hit whatever key you select for the (select mode #) each time you start a new sortie because AFAIK there is no way to set them up to default to certain planes or vehicles.

If you still can't get it let me know and I'll make a quick tutorial using screen shots.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 08:24:19 PM »
To program mode 3 or 4, go to map controllers, select that mode and your controller (at the top), then click "copy mode 1". Then go ahead and do any adjustments to this mode as you like.
To switch to mode 3 or 4 in game, you have to map "Mode X select" to any free key, "X" being the number of the desired mode. Make sure you do have "Select mode 1" mapped to a key as well, in case you accidentally switched to 3 or 4 during flight.

EDIT: Typical snail... I'm too slow :(
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 08:27:48 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 09:15:26 PM »
With mode switching, the sky is the limit. Really, almost anything you can imagine you can setup.

Personally, I swap between modes 1 & 2 for views, trigger, flaps
Mode 3 is setup to access as a base button, then used for CM eye
Mode 4 is setup where axis control trim instead of controls.
ie Pull stick back, elev trim goes to full up, click button, back to flight mode.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 09:45:06 PM »
The questions is already answered, but I'll add that this is my usage for control modes...

Like Ghost, I use modes 1 and 2 for alternate view sets, and like Ghosth (probably), I have a button to "select mode 2", then in mode 2 that same button is "select mode 1" (hence a toggle).

I use mode 3 for CMeye, and have "select mode 3" mapped to a key.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 09:47:19 PM by Murdr »

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 09:45:56 PM »
thanks guys I think I got it now  :salute
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 11:18:25 PM »
wrong thread! sorry! :pray
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Ghosth

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 06:26:02 AM »
Sorry should have explained the mode select button.

In Mode 1, pick the button your going to use, modify it, choose function "switch to mode 2"
In mode 2 pick the same button, modify it, choose function "switch to mode 1"

So whatever mode your in when you push the button, it will switch to the other one.

I also have a base button setup exactly the same way for modes 3 & 4.

So I can get to any mode with at most 2 button presses, depending on which mode.

While not exactly the same as a 2 stage trigger (for those who are missing them)
They can be setup to be very very close to that in effect.

So in mode 1 trigger is set to fire primary only, in mode 2 its set to full guns.

You roll in behind someone, light them up with the machine guns, and when you see hits hit the mode switch and bring on the whole works.

Offline MachNum

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 05:14:53 PM »
...snip...
Mode 4 is setup where axis control trim instead of controls.
ie Pull stick back, elev trim goes to full up, click button, back to flight mode.

OK, I'm sure there's a good reason for this. Are you just using this as a way to do trim control? Don't you lose control of the aircraft when you shift to this mode?
Many thanks in advance for enlightening me!

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
Slightly off of the line of thinking here, but something I wish I could do...  Perhaps somebody knows how.

I normally have the forward "hat" position set so my view is as if my pilot leans forward and to the left to look past the nose a bit.  I would love to have some sort of toggle to be able to easily switch between leaning left and leaning right so that I could easily look past either side of the nose without having to use the slow shift that the arrow keys allow.

I tried setting it up with the other modes, kind of like Ghost describes, but unfortunately the system doesn't seem to allow different view adjustment settings.  Just different commands mapped to the key.

Any ideas?  Or is this not possible?

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 12:44:41 AM »
Slightly off of the line of thinking here, but something I wish I could do...  Perhaps somebody knows how.

I normally have the forward "hat" position set so my view is as if my pilot leans forward and to the left to look past the nose a bit.  I would love to have some sort of toggle to be able to easily switch between leaning left and leaning right so that I could easily look past either side of the nose without having to use the slow shift that the arrow keys allow.

I tried setting it up with the other modes, kind of like Ghost describes, but unfortunately the system doesn't seem to allow different view adjustment settings.  Just different commands mapped to the key.

Any ideas?  Or is this not possible?

Are you saving your adjusted head positions with F10 when you are trying to set them up in different modes?

Personally, I have a second hat switch set up as the "arrow keys" on the other controller so I can move my "head" Left, Right, Up or Down.

OK, I'm sure there's a good reason for this. Are you just using this as a way to do trim control? Don't you lose control of the aircraft when you shift to this mode?

Basically what you are doing is copying your stick in Mode 1 to Mode 3 or Mode 4 or whatever and then changing the assignments of some of the buttons.

The basic controls are the same but you can triple the function of the buttons and hats by switching between different modes.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Ghosth

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 06:58:26 AM »
Yep, using this as an easy to remember way to do trim control. Not that I use manual trim a lot.
No, I really don't lose control, but you don't want to do it in a tight turn either. As once you shift to mode 4 your no longer turning. Your trimming, which in most AC is actually enough to fly the plane. And most times I'm only there for a second or 2, then back to normal mode.

Like I said its pretty much capable of doing anything.

PF, have you tried setting the keypad 8 key to that right forward view?

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 07:12:18 AM »
Are you saving your adjusted head positions with F10 when you are trying to set them up in different modes?

Personally, I have a second hat switch set up as the "arrow keys" on the other controller so I can move my "head" Left, Right, Up or Down.

Yes, that is what I am saying.  I can set the forward hat position to be looking left of the nose (or right) using F10, but I have not found a way yet to toggle between looking Left of nose and Right of nose.  Switching Modes doesn't allow different F10 settings for a particular view.

Unfortunately, I don't have a second hat switch on my current set up, and the arrow key shift is awfully slow.  But maybe that is my only option.

PF, have you tried setting the keypad 8 key to that right forward view?

On my current arrangement, the keypad 8 does the exact same thing as my Forward Hat.  As far as I know, if I F10 adjust one, it sets both.  So, I can't have both a Left over the nose and a Right over the nose mapped at the same time.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 08:40:38 AM »
I have modes 1, 3 and 4 setup the same, but with the primary trigger mapped to all guns, primary and secondary. that way I can use the X52 thumbwheel to quickly select between the modes/gun packages (really useful in eg. the 25H) :)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Ghosth

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 01:16:32 PM »
Thats where you went wrong. Hat switch forward and the keypad 8 key can be mapped differently. Try it!

On my current arrangement, the keypad 8 does the exact same thing as my Forward Hat.  As far as I know, if I F10 adjust one, it sets both.  So, I can't have both a Left over the nose and a Right over the nose mapped at the same time.