Author Topic: Any advantage to getting a 1 gig video card?  (Read 349 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Any advantage to getting a 1 gig video card?
« on: April 08, 2009, 04:25:02 PM »
Just curious. Seems 512 is the standard.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Re: Any advantage to getting a 1 gig video card?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 04:43:57 PM »
I don't know honestly, because I have all of the latest/greatest games and none have needed to load into the 512+ mb area yet. But, I think we're at the point technologically where the hardware is relateively cheap for the power and the power surpasses what game designers program for by a healthy margin. That will likely change over time and 1 gig will just mean you're sitting pretty for the next 3+ years instead of having to buy a new video card every 12-18 months which is what hardcore gamers have always had to do to stay ahead of the software design curve previously...So, if you can get double the DDR3 video memory on a given card for an extra 20 bucks or whatever, why the hell not...

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 04:48:26 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 05:22:40 PM »
If you have more than 2 Gb of RAM and don't have a 64 bit OS it's actualy a liability as it will take that amount from addressable memory leaving you with 2.25-2.75 Gb left for the system/apps.

If you've got more than 2 Gb of RAM and a 64 bit OS then it will be useful for things like video editing.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 09:48:13 AM »
Actually, video editing uses very little video RAM.  On the other hand, it will use as much system RAM as it can.  When video editing, you only need as much video RAM as the video frame buffer will require.  If you are working on high definition content (1920x1080), your video card needs about 64MB of RAM, it if it triple buffering.

Now, there are some utilites/programs for creating title screens and special video effects which do require a much better video card.  Those are not considered "video editing" tools.  They are "content creation" tools.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline RauleDuke

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 01:14:05 PM »
I have a BFG 9600 GT 512mb card I'm installing in my new system.  I can add another for about 70 bucks.  Is it worth it if the two main games I'm playing are AHII and WOW?
Comrade Stalin

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 01:17:38 PM »
AHII doesn't like SLi if I'm not mistaken.   BaldEagle had SLi 8800GTS's (which had to be nice) but got excessive "screen tearing".   He RMA'd the 2nd card.   

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 01:19:44 PM »
AHII doesn't like SLi if I'm not mistaken.   BaldEagle had SLi 8800GTS's (which had to be nice) but got excessive "screen tearing".   He RMA'd the 2nd card.   

Yep, you can't lock vsync in SLI at least in AH.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 02:03:58 PM »
Other than 9600 and more recent cards, avoid 1GB cards. Often they take older cards that are not as competitive, and stick 1GB of cheap video ram into it, and hope to sell more. Doesn't help the card any, in most cases.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 02:06:51 PM »
Other than 9600 and more recent cards, avoid 1GB cards. Often they take older cards that are not as competitive, and stick 1GB of cheap video ram into it, and hope to sell more. Doesn't help the card any, in most cases.

This was my concern.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter