Author Topic: Spitfires in tour 110: Late war  (Read 6482 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Spitfires in tour 110: Late war
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 05:35:23 PM »
The only one of those that is silly is the XVI.  There's lots of aircraft that perform comparably to the VIII

The 8 is only a few MPH slower than the 16, and climbs the same, and has slightly better sustained turn radius, as well as the same acceleration, same firepower (2x hizzookas).

Essentially the same plane, only the 16 has shorter range and rolls a little faster.

Perking one requires perking the other, since they are almost identical. It would be like perking the P-38L and not the P-38J along with it.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 05:36:21 PM »
Sure, fly what you like; take advantage of the free perk-ride performance. :P

The 8 is only a few MPH slower than the 16, and climbs the same, and has slightly better sustained turn radius, as well as the same acceleration, same firepower (2x hizzookas).

Essentially the same plane, only the 16 has shorter range and rolls a little faster.

Nope.  The XVI accelerates better, and its lighter weight makes up for the smaller wing area.  The 2x50cals are a more effective secondary weapon than 4x303s.  The XVI can also carry twice as much ordinance as the VIII, has the best low-speed roll rate in the game, and still rolls well at 400mph ias, where the VIII rolls glacially.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 05:40:45 PM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 05:38:07 PM »
Is this yet another one of the myriads of "PERK THE SPITFIRE MK XVI!" threads?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 05:40:03 PM »
Is this yet another one of the myriads of "PERK THE SPITFIRE MK XVI!" threads?

ack-ack

You're on the record in favor of having nothing perked, at least, I remember you saying that.  I think that's why you jump all over any mention of perking something that's not perked now.

If we're going to have a perk system, then it should be consistent.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 05:52:17 PM »
You're on the record in favor of having nothing perked, at least, I remember you saying that.  I think that's why you jump all over any mention of perking something that's not perked now.

If we're going to have a perk system, then it should be consistent.

I believe the only planes I think that require a perk is the Schwalbe and Komet, as I believe those are the only two planes that would really unbalance the game play.  In the early days, I also supported the C-Hog being perked but as time went on, its impact on the arena has dwindled to the point that unperked it would no longer cause an unbalance.  I believe unperking the Spitfire Mk XIV would not unbalance the game play because its flying characteristics will actually turn away the unwashed masses.

I also believe those that cry to perk the planes do so because for the most part they lack sufficient skill to fight against the plane they want perked.  Of the planes like the La-7, N1K2, P-51D, Spitfire Mk XVI, FW190D-9 and recently the IL2 that players have screamed to be perked, no one has yet to show any definitive proof as to why these planes should be perked.  The most common reason is "To force others to fly different planes", which is easily translated to "To force others to fly a plane that I have an easier time to shoot down."

ack-ack

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 05:53:05 PM »
Uhmm.. unperking the Tempest?  :uhoh
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 06:00:29 PM »
I also believe those that cry to perk the planes do so because for the most part they lack sufficient skill to fight against the plane they want perked.

I knew someone was going to say this. ;)

Ok, I believe the XVI should be perked.  Here is my record against XVIs over the last 3 tours:

January
23 kills, 1 death

February
83 kills, 13 deaths

March
14 kills, 4 deaths

2 of those deaths were in bombers and 1 was in a gv.  To be fair I'll subtract the 1 XVI kill I had in the 163.

So that's 119:15, or 7.9 K/D, and I'm not a great stick.  Clearly, it's not the case that I want to see the XVI perked because I can't shoot them down.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2009, 06:16:48 PM »
Who cares.  Spits blow up just like every other plane in AH.  Just shoot em, don't whine at em :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2009, 06:18:05 PM »
I knew someone was going to say this. ;)

Ok, I believe the XVI should be perked.  Here is my record against XVIs over the last 3 tours:

January
23 kills, 1 death

February
83 kills, 13 deaths

March
14 kills, 4 deaths

2 of those deaths were in bombers and 1 was in a gv.  To be fair I'll subtract the 1 XVI kill I had in the 163.

So that's 119:15, or 7.9 K/D, and I'm not a great stick.  Clearly, it's not the case that I want to see the XVI perked because I can't shoot them down.

And yet again you've failed to show how the Mk XVI unbalances the game play.

ack-ack

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2009, 06:20:32 PM »
My Guess was pretty close.
                      KILLS
Spitfire Mk I    292    
Spitfire Mk IX    12,382    
Spitfire Mk V    1,440    
Spitfire Mk VIII    13,523    
Spitfire Mk XIV    1,349    
Spitfire Mk XVI    33,356
                     _________
TOTAL:           64,342

I Would Say some things About the Spitfire...But I Abide By the Fourm Rules. And this Thread would be locked on the first page.

:salute

Sound off, I fly the Spit 9 predominately now.   Why?   I started a historical Squad and do my best to fly the rides the 303 flew in WWII.    Keep your eye on the Hurricane I, the 303 will be flying that one more.  
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2009, 06:25:44 PM »
No one has ever given an adequate definition of "unbalancing," so it's difficult to argue that a plane fits the bill.

My belief that the XVI deserves a light perk is from an extensive cross-examination of the performance abilities of all the aircraft in AH (around 25 different categories), combined with a statistical technique provided by one of our players who does statistics for a living.  You get different rankings by weighting different categories more heavily or more lightly, but unless you intentionally skew the numbers to help the F4U-1C, the XVI always comes out above it.  Since the F4U-1C is perked, I reason that the XVI should be perked.  If HTC unperked the F4U-1C, then I would have no more argument for perking the XVI.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2009, 06:33:01 PM »
Sure, fly what you like; take advantage of the free perk-ride performance. :P

Nope.  The XVI accelerates better, and its lighter weight makes up for the smaller wing area.  The 2x50cals are a more effective secondary weapon than 4x303s.  The XVI can also carry twice as much ordinance as the VIII, has the best low-speed roll rate in the game, and still rolls well at 400mph ias, where the VIII rolls glacially.

It accelerates 0.1 seconds faster anywhere up to 250mph. The weights are almost the same. The 8 is not heavier (100lbs last I remember), and that's WITH wing tanks.

Puh-leeeze! Let's just call it "the same!"

As far as the weapons go, the main guns have always been the uber hispanos. The 50cals are nicer than the 303s but 99.99999% of all spit drivers go home after the cannons are gone, and if they stay they know they may not get any more kills with what they have left. So, the only difference being the range (8 has wing tanks) and the roll rate.

Again, it's like the P-38L and the P-38J. One rolls better, one carries different payload, but almost across the board their speed, climb, and other charts are almost identical if overlayed on top of each other.

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2009, 06:34:16 PM »
the 20mms on the SpitV are nice.
Strokes

Offline TUK

• Silver Member
      • 13MPG
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2009, 06:37:56 PM »
perk it! why not?
 :cool:
CO WD40 (FSO)
Death From Above (DFA) - Main Arena

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2009, 06:38:05 PM »
the 20mms on the SpitV are nice.

But not as good as those on the spit9!

And they pale totally in comparison to the one on the P-38!

:noid