Author Topic: wildcat request (and/or info?)  (Read 643 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
wildcat request (and/or info?)
« on: April 03, 2009, 10:50:31 PM »
I ran across an interesting Martlet (F4F) profile on a modeling site. It was a decal review.

description as such:

"In this area things vary somewhat as initial Martlet deliveries were from a French order so the colors of these planes are Sea Green 28, Flag Blue 24 over Light Blue 27, very similar to the FAA's tropical scheme. These aircraft also had the port underside of the wing in night as was the norm for the time."

So, is this legit? Seems a bit more vibrant than the usual FAA camo doesn't it?

Anybody up for skinning it?

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Re: wildcat request (and/or info?)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 01:56:52 AM »
I recall looking at this one when I was skinning Wildcats. Trouble is the wings on the AH Wildcat are mirrored, so there is no way of doing the left and right wings different colours.

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 03:06:44 PM »
Short answer: Yes, it's legit.

Long answer: Like the Mustangs and P-40s delivered to the RAF, these Martlets (or G-36A to the French) were painted in US equivalent camo colours before delivery overseas.  The scheme is meant to emulate the Tropical Sea scheme, not the Temperate one we are used to seeing on most FAA/RN aircraft.  The British colours used would have been Light Mediterranean Blue and Dark Sea Green over Sky.  Sky was relatively new in 1940 and not readily available yet.  Grumman would have had equivalent paints for Sky Grey and Sky Blue, both pre-war RAF colours.  Since Sky was colloquially described by the Air Ministry as a 'duck egg blue', Grumman probably chose Sky Blue for the undersides.  It is a weird scheme, perhaps they were originally planned on being deployed in the far east.  The earliest of the French Martlets had the full rudder stripes as seen on some allied aircraft during the BoF.  My references have a profile of one of these, before the introduction of the Night marking, so it could be done.

I skinned this one for IL-2 a couple of years ago using the F4F-3 model, since the Martlet MkI had a different gun arrangement I consider it a 'hack'.  Never got around to finishing it.  BTW, the Sky fuselage band shouldn't be there, at the time I was using this skin to get the band placement right for another skin I was working on.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 03:29:28 PM by jocko- »
417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline G0ALY

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 05:34:18 PM »
Somewhat related, here is a WONDERFUL color pic of mustangs painted in the US for shipment overseas.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/1138?size=_original

Shorpy.com in a really intesting site full of old photos.

Here is a color pic of an A20 http://www.shorpy.com/node/1031?size=_original

My password at work had to contain exactly 8 characters… I chose Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 06:25:09 PM »
Great colour pics looks as if they could have been taken yesterday.

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 12:21:15 AM »
Mmmmm, Mustang IA...

417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 03:53:42 PM »
Wow!!!  Not sure if I have seen WWII colou pics that nice and crisp before.  Nice find.
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."