Author Topic: Help requested......re: new gaming machine(s)  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Help requested......re: new gaming machine(s)
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 06:57:31 AM »
<snip>Stick with one good video card.  AH doesn't support SLI/Crossfire and you won't be able to lock vsync which will cause screen tearing/stuttering.  I know, I tried it.<snip>

Allow me to clarify this.  It is not Aces High II that does not support SLI/Crossfire.  It is a design choice by NVidia and ATI to NOT support vertical sync when running in those modes.

Do yourself a favor and ignore GenMata's advice.  Sorry GenMata, but you put yourself out on the end of that rope.

Also, make sure you do not force any type of sound codecs to be on, such as EAX or Dolby.  Aces High II supports real 3D sounds.  If you have a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker configuration, sounds will come from the right direction without the aid of any external manipulations.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 07:04:38 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline lambo31

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2009, 09:22:59 AM »

Stick with one good video card.  AH doesn't support SLI/Crossfire and you won't be able to lock vsync which will cause screen tearing/stuttering.  I know, I tried it.

Vsync works in crossfire with 2 4850's, atleast mine appears to be working.

edit:  on second thought, how can I be sure crossfire fire is working?  I'm using ATI Tray tools and have the crossfire selected in it, but how can I be sure?

Lambo.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 09:28:00 AM by lambo31 »
Ingame ID: Lambo

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 10:14:14 AM »
I would like to know for sure if ATI is honoring vertical sync in a Crossfire configuration as well.  If that is true, the Crossfire should work with Aces High II as that is the only issue with NVidia's SLI configuration.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline blshar

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2009, 10:40:14 AM »
Running 2 4870's here and crossfire works fine.  Locked in at a steady 60fps when vsync is turned on.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 10:47:08 AM by blshar »
bull shark
157th TFG Swamp Foxes

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 10:43:13 AM »
:rofl :rofl :rofl Look, go with amd duo core if you want. We will be waiting for your posts in the Technical forum.

Bah, easy to get around that bug.  After patching I have never had troubles,
Then again...it looks as if "some of us" may. :uhoh

Also, hopefully quick question for someone:  Is there a reason SLI can't keep Vsync on?
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009, 10:58:25 AM »

Also, hopefully quick question for someone:  Is there a reason SLI can't keep Vsync on?

Here's the thing. Yes there is a patch that involves the registry. You have to download the patch and it still may not work. So you have to go into the registry and make some corrections. Then test those corrections. Still it may or may not work. Finally if you do get it working then the chip runs slightly slower than it what it was designed to. Keep in mind that this is a work around for a problem that is hardware bound. Now if you buy an intel chip all you have to do is plug it in. So why hassle with the AMD duo cores. Now if it is an AMD 3 or 4 core there is no problem.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2009, 11:02:27 AM »
Here's the thing. Yes there is a patch that involves the registry. You have to download the patch and it still may not work. So you have to go into the registry and make some corrections. Then test those corrections. Still it may or may not work. Finally if you do get it working then the chip runs slightly slower than it what it was designed to. Keep in mind that this is a work around for a problem that is hardware bound. Now if you buy an intel chip all you have to do is plug it in. So why hassle with the AMD duo cores. Now if it is an AMD 3 or 4 core there is no problem.

Ah well, may be troubles no matter what, but my tiny brain can't tell.  Everything seems fine for me. :D
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2009, 11:06:52 AM »

If you enable vertical sync, then the NVidia drivers disable SLI mode.  It appears to be how they have designed it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline GenMata

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2009, 12:35:38 PM »
Do yourself a favor and ignore GenMata's advice.  Sorry GenMata, but you put yourself out on the end of that rope.

Also, make sure you do not force any type of sound codecs to be on, such as EAX or Dolby.  Aces High II supports real 3D sounds.  If you have a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker configuration, sounds will come from the right direction without the aid of any external manipulations.
[/quote]What rope? the tri-core/quad-core?
These cores run just fine.

As far as sound I have not forced anything. My speakers are running in 2.1 configuration.
I have requested help and searched for clues here and at diamondmm. I found a post that says this game has problems with with many on-board sound cards and c-media chips based cards.

Offline GenMata

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2009, 12:45:14 PM »
What Tildeath said.  I wouldn't touch GenMata's onboard video build with yet another 10 foot poll.
That's just the basics at very affordable price. Drop in an ATI card and paly anything.,.

Of course tildeath would rather you spend a fortune building an overpriced Intel system.
Yeah me too, Not. I can do that also.

Offline SKColt

• Copper Member
      • http://home.alltel.net/wkunkle/b17intro.html
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2009, 02:02:56 PM »
PLEASE ignore Genmata if you are looking for sound advice! :aok

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2009, 05:04:25 PM »
Of course tildeath would rather you spend a fortune building an overpriced Intel system.
Yeah me too, Not. I can do that also.
You really don't have a clue as to what things cost.  In most cases my so called FORTUNE OVERPRICED rigs are less then purchasing the parts from Newegg.  Additionally if the rig you purpose was built correctly you would not be blaming AH for your sound errors.  Ever try to play CRISIS on your machine, I bet it will say UMMM NOT IN THIS LIFETIME.  I build quality and only quality rigs since my name is on the line.  So please get a clue before making comments on my systems and their pricing.  You are making comments on something you have no idea about!

When the systems I build are delivered I get an email... then I call my customer and arrange a time when they will first be turning them on, I then walk each customer through all aspects of the system from the BIOS to the OS.  How to install drivers, tune their mic, etc etc.  I do not know of any other company that does this.  I am available for tech support about 16 hours a day 7 days a week.  I also support things I didn't sell to non customers.  So when you actually can produce a stable working system that works across all gaming platforms then you have the right to comment on my builds, until then don't comment on any of my builds.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 05:06:08 PM by TilDeath »

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2009, 05:07:23 PM »
PLEASE ignore Genmata if you are looking for sound advice! :aok
X234

Everyone has standards... I guess I just set the bar higher then he does
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 05:32:54 PM by TilDeath »

Offline GenMata

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2009, 08:48:53 PM »
  Additionally if the rig you purpose was built correctly you would not be blaming AH for your sound errors.  Ever try to play CRISIS on your machine, I bet it will say UMMM NOT IN THIS LIFETIME.  I build quality and only quality rigs since my name is on the line.
You would bet wrong!  It seems to me you don't know as much as you would like to think.
HD3300 runs crysis on low settings and in this lifetime just fine. According to AH tech, c-media and on-board sound often gives users problems. I have no problems running sound with any other games with either sound card.

It don't appear that you keep up with Tomshardware or the many other tech sites which rated the phenom II x3 720 the best bang for the buck.

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2009, 09:17:59 PM »
[quote author=GenMata link=topic=262614.msg3266344#msg3266344 date=1239587333

It don't appear that you keep up with Tomshardware or the many other tech sites which rated the phenom II x3 720 the best bang for the buck.
[/quote]
I run my own tech site thank you very much, not to mention hold a world record for overclocking a GTX295.  And I go by my own test results not what someone else says.  TomsHardware is a great site, but there are over 100 writers for the site, no two have the same results.   And I guess the engineering samples I get from OCZ and the  Motherboards, Video Cards sent to me free of charge for evaluation before public release means I have no clue as to what I am doing.  Learn from experience not from everything you read.  Nuff Said this is not worth anymore of my time.  The people whom have had me build their systems for them know how my builds are that's why they refer their friends and family.   27 years in the business several certifications and a few degrees in the field, you are not worth my time.  The poster here can take your recommendations, someone elses or mine, either way I will sleep fine.  Skuzzy even told you you were not correct and you didn't believe him either.  I should take after him and simple stop replying to loony  things.