Author Topic: Defining bad game-play  (Read 27402 times)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Re: Defining bad game-play
« Reply #735 on: May 06, 2009, 01:25:14 AM »
How is air combat, and/or its building blocks (SA, gunnery, ACM, etc) a matter of group vs individual?

If AH was a tank sim, the furballers would be the guys hanging out at e.g. the urban areas of Tank Town in endless team deathmatch, whereas the strat players would be rolling combat forward against the other teams.  Group tactics are not exclusive to either group.  Combat tactics and strategy would still be the gameplay's building blocks.

That both sides are great and fun and respectful of one another is immaterial to whether air combat is the essence of gameplay in AH.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 01:40:04 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #736 on: May 06, 2009, 01:49:28 AM »
Second, you said so yourself, you run to "reset the fight" so that means you have given up on the present one and are looking to make a new one. To me, like you said a fight is until one is dead, so I'd stay in the fight and try some of that "pilot crap" they talk about to turn the position around. Also like I said I end up in the tower often, which is ok with me.

This is fundamentally wrong from a BFM standpoint.  Given the choice between an abundance of "bad gameplay" players, and a virtual environment of arbitrary guidelines that lack common sense that totally butcher "ACM" so it fits in somones personal cubby hole of what they think it sould be, I'd choose the former.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #737 on: May 06, 2009, 01:56:17 AM »
How is air combat, and/or its building blocks (SA, gunnery, ACM, etc) a matter of group vs individual?

AH is (again) a medium and the way the two different groups approach combat within it is what makes them different.

If AH was a tank sim, the furballers would be the guys hanging out at e.g. the urban areas of Tank Town in endless team deathmatch, whereas the strat players would be rolling combat forward against the other teams.  Group tactics are not exclusive to either group.  Combat tactics and strategy would still be the gameplay's building blocks.

Group tactics and individual ability are different animals and are rarely ever combined.

That both sides are great and fun and respectful of one another is immaterial to whether air combat is the essence of gameplay in AH.

What I said is as long as both sides are respectful of one another, good gameplay will be the outcome. I suppose you could have a 1v50 dogfight and it could be considered air combat, but that type of aircombat breeds nothing but contempt and boredom.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #738 on: May 06, 2009, 01:56:27 AM »
This is fundamentally wrong from a BFM standpoint.  Given the choice between an abundance of "bad gameplay" players, and a virtual environment of arbitrary guidelines that lack common sense that totally butcher "ACM" so it fits in somones personal cubby hole of what they think it sould be, I'd choose the former.
I doubt that's what he's talking about.  The same way Boom & Zoom, or Bore & Snore are both "BNZ"
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #739 on: May 06, 2009, 02:07:42 AM »
AH is (again) a medium and the way the two different groups approach combat within it is what makes them different.
I'm sorry. Are you not reading what I write?  They may both go their own ways, but combat is still where they converge before going on to separate goals.  Combat is still the common means to their separate ends.  You don't win a strat war by chatting with friends over vox, or typing on ch200, or .S'ing people.  You wage the strat "war" and furball by moving your plane around and pulling the trigger every now and then.  This is like arguing over whether 2+2 = 4 is because 2 and 4 are different numbers, or because of the mathematical premise of numbers theory.

Group tactics and individual ability are different animals and are rarely ever combined.
Both are combat.  Since you mention it though.. Hordes in the game are usually just random individual tactics multiplied by the horde's numbers.  Poor teamwork. 
As far as the two rarely being combined.. Do you not see how a half dozen coordinated loose deuce elements are both group tactics and individual action?  (Ability here is a misnomer).  This is like arguing that quantum mechanics don't exist when you consider macro scale systems.  They still exist, they're just not the prevalent dynamic visible at that scale.

What I said is as long as both sides are respectful of one another, good gameplay will be the outcome. I suppose you could have a 1v50 dogfight and it could be considered air combat, but that type of aircombat breeds nothing but contempt and boredom.
That's contradictive. 1v50 dogfight is good gameplay if actors just stay respectful of one another.  Like I said, gameplay and interpersonal dynamics are two related but separate things. Corelation but not causation.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #740 on: May 06, 2009, 02:10:48 AM »
I doubt that's what he's talking about.  The same way Boom & Zoom, or Bore & Snore are both "BNZ"
As you said earlier it's not black and white.  There are several statements throughout that make the assumption that every reader is a 5th year player and knows the deal.  However much of it is misleading to those not in the know due to lack of context.  So you can call it dismissive or whatever, but I'm (as are most of the Trainers) quite serious about the bastardization of ACM to what some faction thinks it should be, or "[insert tactic] is lame" when in reality it is "lame" under X conditions and perfectly valid under Y conditions.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #741 on: May 06, 2009, 02:19:20 AM »
Fugitive isn't bastardizing anything if he's only failing to communicate that he means X specifically.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #742 on: May 06, 2009, 02:48:58 AM »
I clearly am not logging as many hours as I used to.  I had fun tonite.  I died a lot, fought on the deck pretty much constantly, and took a lot with me.  I didn't think much about the overall scheme of things, just had fun.  I need to remind myself to stick to that more often :)

That being said.  One of the things that gets mentioned a lot is the community or the social dymamics of the game.  That is what has changed the most to me since I first started in Airwarrior back in 96.   Because of how the numbers have grown, the community as a whole has much less of an impact on the groups within the 'community.   We don't get to know each other as well and the desire to fit in and be a part of the community is more based on finding the largest group to be in.  

Things I remember that I don't see anymore.
With the rotation of maps and the increased room on the maps, folks don't have their own 'turf'.  You kind of got to know who would be where and what the fights would be like.  Even when they added multiple arenas for AW, that didn't really change as each arena gained it's own personality.  You know who'd be where and how the game was being played in that particular arena.  Again it seemed that the people in those arenas laid claim to them and had expectations of the new folks coming into them.  Squad rivalries developed and ongoing battles followed.  When is the last time anyone has seen a rivalry between squads fought out night after night?  

I suppose the other thing that in my mind has made the biggest impact is the change from limited base capture to conquest of the map.  It went from winning the battle, to winning the war.  With the limted capture it was always attack and counterattack.  Knowing there was only so far you could go, meant that there was a reason to learn the air combat part of things.  You know at some point you could only go so far before you'd have to defend.  And you also knew which parts of the map were not going to be about taking the base so the air combat tended to rage more intensely.  It was easier to bounce between the two types of battles as well and it was less of a sin to play one style or the other.

It would be an interesting experiment to set up Orange and Blue so that one was a limited capture arena with a map conducive to it, and the other as an all out win the war map.  I'd be curious as to what kind of 'community' would develop in each, as well as what the numbers would be like.

I would guess the definition of good and bad gameplay in both would be very different.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #743 on: May 06, 2009, 07:46:16 AM »

Del, I appreciate what you do for the game. I wish I could do the same, but as a teacher, well I just don't have it. I have trouble spotting what I did wrong in a fight never mind what somebody else is doing. So my contributions are more on the informational side. I've built my Flash animations ( and hope to continue with that), as well as trying to keep info about the game going here.

In the discussion, I think the biggest issue between the players, and the horde is the "lack" of combat. There are a number of squads that while they are primarily "landgrab/win the war" type squad they are not of the same variety as the "horde" type players. Horde player generally lack skill, were as these other players understand how to fight. They use "combat" to accomplish the goals they set out for themselves whether that's capturing a base, winging as a group, or driving GVs.

The LTARs are a good example. While they do spawn camp now and then, they were primarily a strong ground attack group. In defense they could hold a base with 4 or 5 guys, in attacking they would hit bases from multiple sides at once making it harder to defend. The horde on the other hand would just bring 20 guys are roll strait in hoping to have someone left to cap the hanger when they got to the base.

A lot... NOT ALL, players these days don't use the resources available to get better at the game. They jump in to the biggest group and even though they rarely contribute much to an attack they feel they accomplished something by being in on the capture. Good game play means combat, bad game play means avoiding combat.

As you said earlier it's not black and white.  There are several statements throughout that make the assumption that every reader is a 5th year player and knows the deal.  However much of it is misleading to those not in the know due to lack of context.  So you can call it dismissive or whatever, but I'm (as are most of the Trainers) quite serious about the bastardization of ACM to what some faction thinks it should be, or "[insert tactic] is lame" when in reality it is "lame" under X conditions and perfectly valid under Y conditions.

As I said, there is a fine line we are talking about. To me If I get into the position that I have to run and reset the fight, I consider that a loss because I didn't over come the tactics of my opponent. Does that mean that I fly strait and give them the kill? Hell no  :devil I'm going to try every trick I know to turn the tables back to my advantage short of leaving the fight. Ren and you both believe that running and resetting the fight is the way to go, and thats ok. I would think that if you spent a few minutes getting your "E" back and come back to the fight to see the same enemy now fighting a couple of people you wouldn't re-engage. Ganging the guy would be a bit lame.

On the other hand, if the guy that runs is a newb and is running because he doesn't know any other tricks, and is looking to reset the fight by having the opponent become occupied by a couple of other players so he could gang with little fear of getting shot down himself, then I would call that lame. Todays players are looking for the short cuts. Vets like you, Ren, Moot and so many other spent hours upon hours learning everything we could about these games. Tactics, maneuvers, strategies, and then we spent hours upon hour trying to practice them, and then we spent hour upon hour trying them out in the arenas. Most of todays players can't be bothered with finding the on-line manual let alone read it. How can anyone expect them to understand the difference between lame game play, and good game play without some of us pointing it out?

Murdr, out of curiosity, which ones on my list would you NOT consider lame and why? That was the reason I put up a list as a starting point of discussion. Sure there is some gray area involved in everything, but I'd still like to hear yours, as well as others, reasoning.

Fugitive is an Aces high Member who cares about the game he plays, he devotes his time to better help the community, although it is in a different way than for instance, how I volunteer to help give back, as it is even different than say Bulethead's way or say Greebo's way of helping give back to the game we all love........

Thank-you TC, that is exactly what I'm trying to do. I'm sure I sound like a "nag" at times, but if 1 person in 10 comes away just thinking about what I said, I'd be happy. Maybe that small infection might spread and we'll get a few ore people "thinking" and looking at how the game is played.

I clearly am not logging as many hours as I used to.  I had fun tonite.  I died a lot, fought on the deck pretty much constantly, and took a lot with me.  I didn't think much about the overall scheme of things, just had fun.  I need to remind myself to stick to that more often :)

That being said.  One of the things that gets mentioned a lot is the community or the social dymamics of the game.  That is what has changed the most to me since I first started in Airwarrior back in 96.   Because of how the numbers have grown, the community as a whole has much less of an impact on the groups within the 'community.   We don't get to know each other as well and the desire to fit in and be a part of the community is more based on finding the largest group to be in.  

I agreed Dan, there is still fun to be had, sometimes its a bit harder to find these days, but its still there. Thats why I stay, and why I stand up for better play.

I think the numbers have something to do with it too. In AW I was a PAC guy and flew in a big squad. On most nights you knew 90% of the other players on your team because they always flew at the same times as you did. The same happened on the other teams as well, thats why the squad rivalries developed. The Mafia was always butting heads with the MAW, and made for some awesome fights. Today there are 100 people flying on your team, and unless you fly a lot, you barely know 20% of them.

Maybe thats another factor to why us old timers worked at getting better and the new guys don't. You would run into the same "enemies" time and time again in a single night and it would ignite that fire in you to finally shoot down that one guy that keeps killing you over and over again. You don't see the same guys time and time again these days unless your vulching, so the drive isn't there.

All in all, I'm NOT saying the game is junk and the hordlings have taken over, but there is an infection and its growing. I think educating the newer players what the community considers lame/poor game play is everyones job. If everyone that moves into your neighborhood starts shop lifting and the community allows it to go on they are just as guilty as the shop lifters, and then shoplifting becomes the norm.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #744 on: May 06, 2009, 08:27:43 AM »
Do you consider it a loss when the enemy holds all the cards (alt, turn rate/radius, acceleration)?  I fly 38 vs the MA  uber planes.  Simple fact is if I dont have the E advantage, I win on the enemys mistakes.  If they do not make a mistake and hold the plane type advantage, I use that E managment and angles cheat to disenngage.  To do otherwise is silly.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #745 on: May 06, 2009, 08:28:56 AM »
Today there are 100 people flying on your team, and unless you fly a lot, you barely know 20% of them.

Maybe thats another factor to why us old timers worked at getting better and the new guys don't.

excuse me snipping the quotes.

First off, you are not getting to know people then clearly you should be more open and friendly to the 'new guys' even if it means sorting the wheat from the chaff.

Second, I think it is totaly bogus, your second sentance i quoted. It would be more fair to say that some of the old timers devoted to improving their flying while some clearly did not. Just the same as some of the new guys have devoted themself to flying better (tried dueling anyone new and good recently?) and some have not.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #746 on: May 06, 2009, 08:29:58 AM »
...and also to re-engage from at least a neutral start.  (cant edit from phone)

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #747 on: May 06, 2009, 08:36:37 AM »
[quote  but the bottom line is they don't exist, so they're a moot point.
[/quote]
 But isnt every post you make a "M00t point?"
 :lol
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #748 on: May 06, 2009, 09:04:05 AM »
Do you consider it a loss when the enemy holds all the cards (alt, turn rate/radius, acceleration)?  I fly 38 vs the MA  uber planes.  Simple fact is if I dont have the E advantage, I win on the enemys mistakes.  If they do not make a mistake and hold the plane type advantage, I use that E managment and angles cheat to disenngage.  To do otherwise is silly.
...and also to re-engage from at least a neutral start.  (cant edit from phone)

Its a loss when I'm dead. I too fly the 38 a lot, and should I get myself into the situation you described, I'll still work the fight as best I can. Yes I die a lot, but I'm in it for the fight...can I get myself out of this mess? Your solution is to egress and reset, mine is to try and stop my plane in mid air to cause an over shoot, or anything else I can think of. Again, there is nothing wrong with that kind of flying. A friend of mine in AW...you might remember him TRIX! was of a mind that he flew to RTB like a "real pilot" would fly. If a fight went bad, he was out. He only attacked from a position of advantage. Flying with him was fun, and taught my patience. Also, if you egress from a fight, you wouldn't come back a gang a guy, but that is what the newbs are looking to do.

excuse me snipping the quotes.

First off, you are not getting to know people then clearly you should be more open and friendly to the 'new guys' even if it means sorting the wheat from the chaff.

Second, I think it is totaly bogus, your second sentance i quoted. It would be more fair to say that some of the old timers devoted to improving their flying while some clearly did not. Just the same as some of the new guys have devoted themself to flying better (tried dueling anyone new and good recently?) and some have not.

I get to know people, and I'm pretty friendly in the game.... I think  :D Lets use you as an example. We have both been flying for years, and I'm sure we have been on at the same time many times, but how many times have we "chatted"? How many times have we fought? how many times have you shot me down.... because we know I most likely wouldn't be able to get you  :aok Thats the differance between 100 people in the arena, and the 400 we have now. 33 per side as apposed to the 133 per side.

Yes I agree that I used the wrong wording in the second sentence you quoted, but I would use "more" in stead of "some". It seems to me that more of the old timers worked at improving than todays players. Todays player is looking for instant "everything".

• instant gratification.... join the horde and be part of the team to capture a base
  • instant survivability.... hide in the horde, hope some else is the target
  • instant kills... connected to the survivability, living long enough to get more rounds into the target than the others in the horde

Yes there are exceptions, and there are some players that are relatively new that are very good, and a number that show promise. The point however is in the old days there was a much bigger percentage of the people flying that went out of there way to learn more, to practice more, excel more. Today its opposite, the bigger percent of people are looking for the easy road, and almost always end up in the horde.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #749 on: May 06, 2009, 09:29:57 AM »
Oh, that's what I'm doing most of the time. Or better: I try, for occasionally I fail, the LA prevails and 50 perks are down the drain :D

This, I would view as typical MA gameplay, these days.

Run, run, run, run, grow balls, turn around and HO.  50/50 chance of getting a kill.  Maybe you might even make it out with most of your control surfaces and an intact radiator.

I dont know you all that well, Lusche, but what bothers me is that an AH Trainer is not only flying this way, but seemingly encouraging it.