Author Topic: Defining bad game-play  (Read 27263 times)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Re: Defining bad game-play
« Reply #765 on: May 06, 2009, 02:05:04 PM »
What I miss?
A lot of complaining.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
« Reply #766 on: May 06, 2009, 02:07:27 PM »
had a vet today in a p-51 follow behind me while I tried to drag a hellcat out where we could have a decent fight.  The p-51 pulled up and off about 2.5k behind me, and appeared to be heading the 1/2 sector back to where there were plenty of planes.... so, I turned into the 1.5k off hellcat and we started dancing...as I am avoiding the rope of the hellcat, I see tracers and look to see the pony has tried to steal this poor hellcats kill...he missed and went vert and I shot the hellcat at stall speed and was unable to move out of guns of the pony on its second pass....not horrible gameplay, but lame as hell....the pony had followed us out the 1/2 sector into the sea to steal a kill, or simply try and get the easiest kill possible...this wasn't a newb...made me wonder, why would a vet waste the time following, trying to steal the kill, and then settling for a no-fight kill, when there were red and green fellas all over the furball where we had just left?  Rocky is a vet, isn't he? :rolleyes:
Would that that P51 were me... I'd do it just to read the ch200 text buffer afterwards. :lol

WTG Rocky, I'll bet it was entertaining  :aok

asw
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #767 on: May 06, 2009, 02:18:40 PM »
Liar! About your motivation that is. You weren't trying to drag the Hellcat out 1v1 so you could have a "decent fight", you tried to drag him out so you could own him like a professional heavyweight boxer taking on an asthmatic 12 year old, and then chuckle evilly while stroking your beard and looking for the next victim! The P-51 gave you a chance to own two at a time, and then mock your victims on the internet, alas, the AHII Gods of fortune chose to piss in your general direction. It would frustrate me to.... :devil

:rofl

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #768 on: May 06, 2009, 02:19:37 PM »
Would that that P51 were me... I'd do it just to read the ch200 text buffer afterwards. :lol

WTG Rocky, I'll bet it was entertaining  :aok

asw
and neither of you would stand a chance 1 vs 1 with me, so maybe I understand that angle...... :rofl

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #769 on: May 06, 2009, 03:27:21 PM »
"Pardon me whilst I put my beachballs on the table"               *dink*

and neither of you would stand a chance 1 vs 1 with me, so maybe I understand that angle...... :rofl

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #770 on: May 06, 2009, 03:39:11 PM »
This could go on forever.  The fact is that the game has changed. More players means more bad players. The quaint, small dogfights of the past are gone. All things change, it's just the way it is.

How many people respect a 1v1?  5%?
Don't HO on first merge?              5%?
Will allow a stricken plane to land?  1%?
Come into a furball under 10K?   20%?
Will switch sides to no longer be part of the horde?  2%?

The game used to be about the fight.  I'm not sure what it's about now but it's not about the fight.

Example: A CV arrives at an enemy base. The effort begins not to engage invaders but to sink the CV. Shore battery, Lanc Stukas etc. For far too many, first priority is to sink the CV.  30 or more people are having a blast just tangling on the wavetops and some group of guys bomb the CV, sink it, then announce on country channel that they've sunk the CV, thus saving base A234 from being taken; as if losing 1 out of 90 some odd bases will somehow effect the outcome of the "war".

Another classic: 2 bases in close proximity have a furball ebbing back and forth between them. 20 or more people are cutting the grass, planes fighting from 10k  down to the deck.. people having a blast. Someone flies overhead and kills the FH's then proudly proclaims what they've done. You ask them if they are going to take the base.... they tell you:  No just taking the pressure off.  You explain to them that there was no need to kill the FH's, everyone was having a good time. They call you an idiot. 

The game, as it was, is forever dead. One can get used to the new watered down version or one can move on.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 03:50:58 PM by Steve »
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #771 on: May 06, 2009, 03:48:39 PM »
Uhmm you are just making a lot of assumptions and reading a lot into my posts what's definitely not there.

First, I said "sometimes" about that "drag-the-La" thing. Which is a little dweebish fun I happen to do maybe once per tour, probably even less.

Grizz indeed asked why I just do not shoot him down with my hizookas. I said, that's what I'm triyng most of the time. Nowhere I stated I would run & HO - thats just your assumption.

I dont think there is much to assume or read into.

Maybe I just know Grizz a bit better than you do.  I feel pretty confident stating that; his mentioning of your overwhelming firepower, the typical tendency of both La7's and Tempests to go for the nose shot and, of course, the smiley face, clearly indicates that he is referring to a head on attack.

If he were to suggest that you actually turn around and fight, he would have written something very plainly to that effect without a tongue in his cheek.

Each to his own.  Its your fifteen bucks, as they say.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 03:50:16 PM by Saurdaukar »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #772 on: May 06, 2009, 03:49:57 PM »

The game, as it was, is forever dead. One can get used to the new watered down version or one can move on.

Agreed, but I like to just keep the memory of that old game alive, hoping some day it will sprout anew.  :lol

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #773 on: May 06, 2009, 03:57:04 PM »
I dont think there is much to assume or read into.

Maybe I just know Grizz a bit better than you do.  I feel pretty confident stating that; his mentioning of your overwhelming firepower, the typical tendency of both La7's and Tempests to go for the nose shot and, of course, the smiley face, clearly indicates that he is referring to a head on attack.

If he were to suggest that you actually turn around and fight, he would have written something very plainly to that effect without a tongue in his cheek.

Each to his own.  Its your fifteen bucks, as they say.

Maybe you should have read my statements about that matter with the same scrutiny? ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #774 on: May 06, 2009, 04:00:53 PM »
Maybe you should have read my statements about that matter with the same scrutiny? ;)

I did.  They are quoted above.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #775 on: May 06, 2009, 04:04:07 PM »
Deleted - doesn't lead us anywhere ;)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 04:07:10 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #776 on: May 06, 2009, 04:16:39 PM »
Believe it or not, this example is very bad.  #1, please submit film you have that shows no LVT's in the water while your cv is at my base........

......Perhaps it is safe to say that, many of the people enjoy attacking a CV?  Perhaps it's even safer to say you do too!  Or at least defending it.  Don't make me search your posts and quote you!  Oh wait..... You're the sinker hater, nevermind.

Example: A CV arrives at an enemy base. The effort begins not to engage invaders but to sink the CV. Shore battery, Lanc Stukas etc. For far too many, first priority is to sink the CV.

BUT....... If nobody was trying to sink your cv here... would you have had as much fun?
The bad guys were furballing and furiously trying  to sink the cv.  We were furballing and defending.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #777 on: May 06, 2009, 04:21:39 PM »
Example: A CV arrives at an enemy base. The effort begins not to engage invaders but to sink the CV. Shore battery, Lanc Stukas etc. For far too many, first priority is to sink the CV.  30 or more people are having a blast just tangling on the wavetops and some group of guys bomb the CV, sink it, then announce on country channel that they've sunk the CV, thus saving base A234 from being taken; as if losing 1 out of 90 some odd bases will somehow effect the outcome of the "war".

Another classic: 2 bases in close proximity have a furball ebbing back and forth between them. 20 or more people are cutting the grass, planes fighting from 10k  down to the deck.. people having a blast. Someone flies overhead and kills the FH's then proudly proclaims what they've done. You ask them if they are going to take the base.... they tell you:  No just taking the pressure off.  You explain to them that there was no need to kill the FH's, everyone was having a good time. They call you an idiot. 

And then for the real kicker, add that the guys killing the fight are doing it because the furball at that field was a waste of much needed resources for their war effort.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #778 on: May 06, 2009, 05:12:12 PM »
I'm going to try every trick I know to turn the tables back to my advantage short of leaving the fight.

How do you construe getting up to a couple thousand yards separation as leaving the fight?

Also, if you egress from a fight, you wouldn't come back a gang a guy, but that is what the newbs are looking to do.

It has always been that way.  Doesn't make it cool, but there's nothing new there.

On the other hand, if the guy that runs is a newb and is running because he doesn't know any other tricks, and is looking to reset the fight by having the opponent become occupied by a couple of other players so he could gang with little fear of getting shot down himself, then I would call that lame.

Would you mind not trying to redefine what is meant by "reseting the fight".   We do actually use that term to teach ya know.  Maybe that's the wrong thing though...Maybe HT would be happier if the 3+ month rate of subscribed accounts declined a bit, because telling them to beat their head against the wall and just keep yanking on the stick when they are almost certian to fail is the cool thing to do.

Murdr, out of curiosity, which ones on my list would you NOT consider lame and why? That was the reason I put up a list as a starting point of discussion. Sure there is some gray area involved in everything, but I'd still like to hear yours, as well as others, reasoning.
   * HOs lame
Wayyyy to vauge.  Head on attack is a valid tactic.  That said, it has an inherent drawback.  It places you in the enemies line of fire.  So typically it is not the best choice.  Secondly, death in the game (and rightly so) does not carry a harsh penalty, and scoring is based on killing/damaging the enemy.  So it ends up being used unrealisticly in the game.  Sometimes however, it is the best choice (and usually the only one left).  Might as well throw in an HT quote...
AW Had diffenet types of head on gunnery, durring most of the time I was playing AW HO hits were not thrown out. but a person got a 3 wingspan buble for hits from the rear and a 1 wingspan bubble from the front quater.

People also seem to forget how with no collisions in AW, you would could head on in AW flying right threw the apponent with no worries of impact.

When a change was made to the randomly throwing out hits was the end of my FW flying days. Not because I liked to head on, but it took a very valid tatic away. In those days I would use a pure head on when ever I was at a disavantage. I.E. just finished a fight, slow on dec. and a spit is comming in. You can be sure I would take the head on in that case, because it was my only option if the guy wanted to fly right at me, and I had no speed to turn or manuver with him. But even more important than the pure head on was how it totaly removed the rope a dope. Against a resonable aponent ropes and using the vertical became almost inposible, because everone would just wait, and point there nose at you knowing there chances of being hit was very low, even thow they were stalled was required no lead to shoot them.

* spawn camping lame  It's part of any game.  Unlike any old game, there are mulitple options for dealing with it.
   * being the 6th guy in on a single bad guy lame  Wow, is it 6 now?  I remember in AW when one would be ashamed to be the thrid guy on an enemy.  I agree btw.
   * bringing a CV close enough to dry spawn lame  It's part of the game mechanics, unless HTC wants to remove it, deal with it.
    * hiding captured CVs lame  There's a tool for diagreement on that.  It's called pulling rank.  Last time I pulled rank, I moved the CV out of combat effectively to hide it.  Had I not done so, we were in jeprody of losing all CVs in the eastern waters of Trinity.  When a home port was secured, I set course back to the combat zone, and gave up command.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #779 on: May 06, 2009, 05:49:40 PM »
Believe it or not, this example is very bad.  #1, please submit film you have that shows no LVT's in the water while your cv is at my base........

It's not a bad example. So what if there are a couple of lvt's in the water? . Roll a tank or kill them with the SB.

You don't get it because you are  just one of those noobs who place  "winning the war" at the forefront of game priorities.   What do I need to submit a film for? Your posts make it clear that you are among the lemmings who have changed the way the game is played. You validate my points.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve