Author Topic: A New Adventure  (Read 599 times)

Offline SPIKER

• Copper Member
A New Adventure
« on: April 15, 2009, 08:45:40 AM »

While on the Titantic Tue late I saw a new call sign ask “Can someone show me how to fly?” 
 Even before I told him to go to the Training Arena, 200 lit up with the same advice from 10 people.  Checking the roster, he had already logged off, wishing the best for him.
  After about 30 minutes and getting time to hang my flight jacket up I logged off and decided to see if he was in the Training Arena.
  Sure enough there he was rolling around on the ground in a 110 bumping into every building.  Finding out that he is using a mouse and I being a joystick vet, I almost said good luck, but I said let me see how hard this is to learn. 
  Bouncing back and forth from the support site and the Training Arena I was able to get him in the air and now have a more respect for anyone using a mouse to fight with.

Finding out that this new pilot is from the other side of this planet in Mala made this adventure more interesting. 

So to those who that have the feeling that Aces High has played itself out and is no longer interesting, extend a hand to someone and you will find it just as fun. 

Salute <S> to Aces High for making a forum for so many people from so many countries to enjoy.

Good Huntin
Spiker

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: A New Adventure
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 09:48:32 AM »
Well said....

It allows you to see the AH world through a childs eyes so to speak. You get to see someone else excited about the game and wanting to learn.

Same as in real life when mentoring a child.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 09:53:50 AM »
Well you had the rare 'I'm new but I'm willing to learn and follow directions' kind of NewU!
Most don't even pay attention to people trying to help them (probably because they're too busy to notice the radio!)

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 12:37:52 PM »
You don't recall who the newb was do you?  I was trying to help someone on ch6 last night and he couldn't tell me if he had a joystick or not.

I asked if his primary language was English and didn't get a response.  I really doubt he was from the other side of the world though.  He was all "I'VE BEEN SITTING HERE FOR 5 MIN!!11!!" on the runway and couldn't figure out how to get moving.

I finally told him I couldn't help him without more information.  I never did the "go to the TA" thing though.  Maybe I should have.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline _vic_

• Copper Member
      • imagitronics.org
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 01:20:20 PM »
Being that I was that newb just six months ago I can still appreciate how overwhelming the game can be.... Especially for those of us "on the other side of the world" when the TA has 0 players during our peak hours.

One thing that I don't think many people take into consideration is that for the average new player with little or not flight-sim background - the first thing you want to know is "is this game worth it?" Before you invest weeks/months/years trying to become a good pilot you want to make sure that the game is worth the investment... and you just can't make that determination in the TA.

For instance, the first time I logged on there were under 10 people in EW, less than 20 in MW, and only 80 in the MA. If you're coming from a background of larger massively multiplayer online games (like WoW or EQ) you might wonder if 80 people is enough to be enjoyable... In some of those games it's hard to find a "good" team when you have thousands of people to choose from. Not to mention, I've found literally dozens of great games with solid gameplay mechanics and then you create your account and discover that the game is in bad shape - players are quitting like crazy and the game is in danger of being shut down... 110 players online at any given time can make AH appear that way at times.

I say, if you love the game and you want to make sure it's around for another 10 years - take the time to extend a welcoming hand to the new guys. Every $15/mo that HTC gets helps - even moreso than in larger games.

On my first night, a member of the HAZE 100th happened to be online - and he took me to a quiet base and gave me a quick rundown of the basics. After that I was convinced that the game was worth learning, and I started pouring through documentation like a madman... Had someone not taken 10 minutes of his time to welcome me, I likely would have uninstalled the game and not thought twice about it.

<S>
Tim

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 01:23:41 PM »
Too many live life in a hurry and miss the good stuff.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 01:47:51 PM »
If you enjoy wasting time is it really time wasted?
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 03:57:38 PM »
I take new players into my squad, we are not the best players and I don't expect them to stay but I figured that getting them into a squad is the best way to peek there interest and also its easier to work with them in real time play. I find that though the training arena is a good thing it's good to get them involved with other guys and it makes the transition into the game a little easier when you make friends. I didn't get that advantage when i first started so I know how hard it can be to go it alone. But I also make it clear that for them to get the most out of the game they need to spend some time with a trainer, but I'm not going to hold there hand in that aspect they should show some initiative  in learning the game. But what I have found is that even though they don't know much when starting out when there in a squad they start having fun and its not as frustrating, and when something happens like when "they get shot down trying to turn with a spit in a FW 190" I can tell them why and what not to do and the best way to handle that situation. And I get good response, and anyone that knows Moon2 he can contribute to that, he was on the verge of quieting the game when i met him, and we took him into our squad that I was in at the time and now he is a very good player, so it works.

“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.â€

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 04:33:14 PM »
  While on the Titantic Tue late I saw a new call sign ask “Can someone show me how to fly?” 
 Even before I told him to go to the Training Arena, 200 lit up with the same advice from 10 people.  Checking the roster, he had already logged off, wishing the best for him.
  After about 30 minutes and getting time to hang my flight jacket up I logged off and decided to see if he was in the Training Arena.
  Sure enough there he was rolling around on the ground in a 110 bumping into every building.  Finding out that he is using a mouse and I being a joystick vet, I almost said good luck, but I said let me see how hard this is to learn. 
  Bouncing back and forth from the support site and the Training Arena I was able to get him in the air and now have a more respect for anyone using a mouse to fight with.

Finding out that this new pilot is from the other side of this planet in Mala made this adventure more interesting. 

So to those who that have the feeling that Aces High has played itself out and is no longer interesting, extend a hand to someone and you will find it just as fun. 

Salute <S> to Aces High for making a forum for so many people from so many countries to enjoy.

Good Huntin
Spiker

Well done!!  :salute

A simple little thing like common courtesy can go along ways for both parties.
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 06:29:14 PM »
I really like this thread. After a few years this is just what the doctor ordered. :aok
Lighten up Francis

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 06:57:30 PM »
Good for you Spiker. Sounds like you are going to be a future trainer. :salute

I like helping the noobs out with what little knowledge I possess. For everything else I tell them to hook up with a trainer and be patient learning the game.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"