Author Topic: New Mission: "PeabodySimple"  (Read 1421 times)

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
New Mission: "PeabodySimple"
« on: October 12, 2010, 07:24:15 AM »
I've written a very simple new mission, for the "ndisles" terrain. It is extremely simple, and is intended for brand-new AH pilots wanting to learn about offline missions. Learn about it here:

http://techvideoreview.com/FlightSimMovies/AcesHigh/Ah2Missions/PeabodySimple/PeabodySimpleMissionPage01Full.htm

Links on that page include 2 movies that show how to download, install, and fly the mission with the current version of Aces High as of October 2010.

I've published 2 versions of the mission as follows:

For old V2124. This mission is known to fly well under Aces High 2 Version 2.12.4. The enemy "bot" aircraft fly brilliant, energetic combat, so beginners are likely to learn rapidly through very challenging struggle.

For the current Version 2.12.x. This mission is known to fly well under Aces High 2 Version 2.21, with all available patches as of Oct2010. The enemy "bot" aircraft fly conservative, lazy, low combat, so beginners are likely to survive.

I hope you'll use this to teach family and friends about Aces High offline missions, and that our collective efforts will bring more people into the amazing online world we all know and love.

Regards,

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Re: New Mission: "PeabodySimple"
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 12:59:02 PM »
 :aok

thanks in advance of playing around on it
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 01:23:23 PM »
Sure thing, Dichotomy. Please let me know how it performs for you after you exercise it a bit.

Regards,

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 01:29:24 PM »
I'll get on it when I get home about 4:30 CST.  Should have feedback no later than 5:30  :aok
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline CaptCarnage

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 02:12:31 PM »
Flies okay on the current version. Only problem I had with 2.12.4, and this happens a lot with this version I find. After I shoot down my first P-38, the other turns into a ghost plane. It is still there because I can see tracers and flashes from the guns. But I can't see the plane. It is like the game forgets to draw it.

This would happen a lot with the PacMix mission as well. But it only did this bug when I flew the Japanese flights. It would seem the bug came up again with this mission. After I shoot down one, a ghost plane is there. I am sure it is 2.12.4 and not the mission file.

The other odd thing that I came across, it isn't that big of a deal. This has only come up with 2.21.2. When I flew the Japanese flight. The P-38's came in at lower than 3k feet (It could have also been, they started at 7K, but I didn't see them till they were at 3k). However, when I did get a tally on them, they were not diving, but flying straight and level.

When I played the mission on the allied side. The P-38's got up to alt. I am still practicing my BnZ!!! I am getting better. However... I still end up turning and burning. I just try not to get below 200 KIAS.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 04:53:44 PM »
Problem already tried it on both links.  I don't get the option to 'save as' only 'save this link as'. Checked security settings and they're open for your page.  Firefox 1.9.2.3909

Offline CaptCarnage

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 05:04:10 PM »
I don't get the option to 'save as' only 'save this link as'.

That is the same thing more or less... Just make sure that the browser doesn't save it as a .html file. If it does. Just change it to .res for (2.21.2) and .mis for 2.12.4.

Offline CaptCarnage

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 07:56:49 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWnDeVxyZps

There you go. I don't fly the P-38 much. I am also VERY BAD at BnZ. I am better off at just letting my wing man pick them off LOL.

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 08:07:22 PM »
Flies okay on the current version. Only problem I had with 2.12.4, and this happens a lot with this version I find. After I shoot down my first P-38, the other turns into a ghost plane. It is still there because I can see tracers and flashes from the guns. But I can't see the plane. It is like the game forgets to draw it.

Yeah. This was a well-known bug in the 2.12.4 version. It doesn't happen very often to me, but I sometimes see it. If I recall correctly, somebody once found a pattern. I think it was triggered by killing the pilot instead of damaging the plane to destruction. If you just kill the pilot, the plane logic continues to fly and fight, but the plane is invisible. This bug was fixed in later versions (but later versions disable LAN play).

Regards,

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 08:10:53 PM »

The other odd thing that I came across, it isn't that big of a deal. This has only come up with 2.21.2. When I flew the Japanese flight. The P-38's came in at lower than 3k feet (It could have also been, they started at 7K, but I didn't see them till they were at 3k). However, when I did get a tally on them, they were not diving, but flying straight and level.

When I played the mission on the allied side. The P-38's got up to alt.

I've noticed that too, and it illustrates the vast difference between enemy "bot" skill between the two versions of Aces High. The mission code is identical in both cases; the bot aircraft just fly differently. In 2.12.4 the bot aircraft fly with amazing skill and are very aggressive, using vertical maneuvers to good advantage. In the current version, the bots fly conservative, timid, uninspired combat without much regard to the vertical dimension.

Regards,

Offline CaptCarnage

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 08:22:56 PM »
Well I must say. Version 2.12.4 is the best if you wan't to tone up you ACM with drones. My only problem now is master BnZ. I have been turn and burning for too long. BnZ is used to kill both fighters and bombers. So I should get used to it. I am just too twitchy!  :joystick:

If I recall correctly, somebody once found a pattern. I think it was triggered by killing the pilot instead of damaging the plane to destruction. If you just kill the pilot, the plane logic continues to fly and fight, but the plane is invisible.

Hahaha That would explain a few things.

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 06:48:29 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWnDeVxyZps

There you go. I don't fly the P-38 much. I am also VERY BAD at BnZ. I am better off at just letting my wing man pick them off LOL.

Wow Cap'n! I LOVE this one. Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" is just a brilliant accompaniment to your amazing and artistic cut scenes. Fantastic!

I will be featuring this clip on the main mission page, if you don't mind.

Regards,

Offline CaptCarnage

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 08:03:51 AM »
How about that landing this time! After flying the Bf-109's(G-2 is my fav!), and the Spitfires. The P-38 almost lands it's self.

I am going to have to put some more hours on this bird for sure.

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 11:36:33 AM »
Problem already tried it on both links.  I don't get the option to 'save as' only 'save this link as'. Checked security settings and they're open for your page.  Firefox 1.9.2.3909

I got your PM on this subject, and it sure sounds like your browser is renaming the mission as a .htm or .html file. This can be tricky, as Windoze (in all its "wisdom") tries very hard to hide this from you. Even if you try to rename it properly from within the popular Windows file browsing tools, Windows can hide the real file type from you. It's best to rename from within a DOS prompt, as shown here:

http://techvideoreview.com/FlightSimMovies/AcesHigh/Ah2Missions/PeabodySimple/PeabodySimpleMissionPage01Full.htm

I'm referring to the first video clip, entitled "Introduction to Aces High Missions, Part 1, Downloading and Installing Offline Missions". In that video clip, I show you EXACTLY how I do it, using trustworthy DOS command lines from a DOS window that won't lie to you. Otherwise, windows will drag you into a situation where the file is named something like "simple04.res.htm", but it won't show you the .htm portion. It's EEEEeeevil. The result is that Aces High won't see the mission at all....

Regards,
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 11:41:04 AM by bbosen »