Author Topic: What do YOU consider the best fighter?  (Read 17168 times)

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
Re: What do YOU consider the best fighter?
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2009, 03:29:15 PM »
I like the f4u set myself! 

F4U-1= higher eny plane that has uber flappen
F4U-1A= good all around speed, turning ability, and just plain sexy
F4u-1D= pretty much same as 1A but has more ords
F4U-1C= cannons...need I say more?
F4U-4= monster of the skys
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."

Offline Klauss

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2009, 03:30:47 PM »
Klauss, in 10 minutes in DA? is that ok?

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2009, 03:31:52 PM »
I'm there
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2009, 03:39:11 PM »
If we're talking unperked multi role aircraft I'm going to go with the Ki84.

Good performance
Good ord load out
Great views
Decent guns

Give it a try.  Just don't expect it to be a good cherry picker, it doesn't like going 460+ mph

Ki84 is my favourite plane but I definitely don't consider it the best fighter. It's up there in my top 3 though.
As someone mentioned, it's because this plane suits me. I like being attacked by other planes while im at an e-disadvantage. Ki can take a pounding with its armour and it's a great ride for 1 turn reversals and the quick firing cannons.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 03:42:21 PM by RumbleB »

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2009, 04:00:13 PM »
P-39Q

:aok
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2009, 06:30:05 PM »
I'm there

So, what were the results?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2009, 07:06:53 PM »
So, what were the results?

From a co-e merge at 15K, Klauss did a very credible job of flying the P-38 and had me a bit worried there for a minute. However, the torqueless stability of the P-38 at very low airspeeds was just barely *not* enough to allow it to leave the SpitXVI from co-e. After the P-38 had to go nose down the first time, the main problem in flying the SpitXVI was not over-running the P-38 in the vertical, due to the Spit's very high acceleration, climb, and E retention while pulling Gs.

The P-38's torquelessness does indeed put it above single-engine planes with similar weight/thrust ratios in the vertical, and well-flown, it would be formidable opponent for *any* plane it caught at an E disadvantage. However, so would the SpitXVI, I daresay. I will also point out that the combat initiated at 15K and was climbing after the initial merge, where the performance difference between the Spit and 38 is not quite so severe as it is at more typical MA alts of 10K and below. The Spit was also somewhat handicapped by a loose nut on the control stick... ;) Will post the film at my convenience if anyone is interested.

I <S> Klauss and wish him all best. In a less lop-sided match-up he surely would have won.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 07:09:27 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2009, 07:12:41 PM »
So the P-38 cannot expect to build an E advantage over a co-E or superior-E SpitfireXVI, cannot turn with the SpitXVI, and cannot have any expectation of being able to disengage reliably below 20K. IOW, the P-38, like numerous planes in the set, is indisputably double-inferior to the SpitXVI and at a decided disadvantage when engaging them below 20K.

I'm glad there is an ace like you to tell me this.  Just to think that I've been flying the P-38 incorrect all this time against Spitfires, like turn fighting against them and winning. 

Here is a tip for those P-38 drivers flying against Spitfires.  The Spitfire only has one speed range where it will out maneuver a P-38 and that's at medium speeds.  P-38 has an advantage at higher speeds and a slight advantage at low/stall speeds due to the no torque of the twin engines and the most gentle stall characteristic of any fighter in the game.

But then I really don't expect those with very little or no flying time in the Lightning to know such things such as how to fly and fight in one. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2009, 07:39:39 PM »
I'm glad there is an ace like you to tell me this.  Just to think that I've been flying the P-38 incorrect all this time against Spitfires, like turn fighting against them and winning. 

Pilot and not plane Sir. There is a difference between turn performance and picking a better angle than the other pilot. You know this, do not be coy about it.

Here is a tip for those P-38 drivers flying against Spitfires.  The Spitfire only has one speed range where it will out maneuver a P-38 and that's at medium speeds.  P-38 has an advantage at higher speeds and a slight advantage at low/stall speeds due to the no torque of the twin engines and the most gentle stall characteristic of any fighter in the game.

The Spit can clearly *sustain* a better rate and radius of turn. It is a mystery to me what you mean by saying the Lightning turns better at "high speed", since the limit on high speed turning is the blackout anyway, unless an airplane has high speed elevator/aileron woes, which the SpitXVI does not. Perhaps you mean the Lighting dumps excess speed more easily and can get down to corner velocity more quickly if both airplanes are very fast, however, this can be compensated for by piloting, as can the P-38's stability advantage at very low speeds.

But then I really don't expect those with very little or no flying time in the Lightning to know such things such as how to fly and fight in one. 
ack-ack

Your tendency to argue through invective rather than logic is both unattractive and unconvincing.

You are correct I don't have much time in the Lightning. OTOH, I flew the 109K4 for the first time in many months a few tours ago, met Helbent at 15K in a 1v1 that was not interrupted for once. We fought all the way to the deck, and finally won. Now, Helbent is *clearly* the more experienced and skilled pilot, so the difference must have been the plane, the 109 K-4, which is double-superior to the P-38, although not to the extent of the SpitXVI. This inclines me to believe that a SpitXVI winning a co-E fight with a P-38 is not a fluke. However, I would agree that of the 3 Late-War "Pursuits", the Lightning is the best dogfighter by a wide margin. A single-engine ride this inferior in thrust/weight and wing loading to a SpitXVI would stand virtually no chance Co-E 1v1 between equal pilots, whereas the P-38 has a trick or two up its sleeve.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 07:44:42 PM by BnZs »

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2009, 09:56:34 PM »
Klauss... that spixteen will beat you in the vertical, no question.

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2009, 02:00:05 AM »
I`m new to this but I tend to flip between the Ki-84, 109K4 and the 190D9.

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2009, 03:14:46 AM »

surely the XVI has a big advantage in acceleration in a low speed fight? meaning that you can transition back from a turn fight to an E-fight using the acceleration and climbrate. plus at slower speeds the rollrate of the spits improves immensely. not sure if the 38 bleeds E badly during roll, but it seems to be fairly easy to get a pursuing 38 out of phase using roll. ymmv :)

edit: as a pure fighter XIV gets my vote. anything that gets me a K/D over 10 must have some magic going on :D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 03:16:31 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2009, 08:22:44 AM »
not sure if the 38 bleeds E badly during roll, but it seems to be fairly easy to get a pursuing 38 out of phase using roll.

Most of the 38 jocks fly the J, which rolls rather poorly.  The L, on the other hand, has one of the best high speed roll rates in the game.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2009, 10:05:09 AM »
Most of the 38 jocks fly the J, which rolls rather poorly.  The L, on the other hand, has one of the best high speed roll rates in the game.
He was specifically refering to low speeds, where the P-38L rolls just as badly as the P-38J.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2009, 10:14:33 AM »
Oh, understood.  But the L still rolls a little better at 200mph. ;)

When I think about it, it's very significant that the 38J is the most popular P-38, while the XVI is the most popular Spit.  One faction chooses its favorite variant for its skins and history, the other for its dominating performance.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 10:17:03 AM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!