Author Topic: What do YOU consider the best fighter?  (Read 17927 times)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
Re: What do YOU consider the best fighter?
« Reply #150 on: May 19, 2009, 06:47:55 AM »
It all depends on the skill of the pilot and how well he can exploit the enemys weaknesses. The top 2 American aces in WW2 were P38 flyers. You can have all the speed,climb rate and turn ability in the world, but if you don't know what to do with it and when, a P40 will beat you. SA is the determining factor in most fights.....not the plane you're in. Just my .02 cents  :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #151 on: May 24, 2009, 09:38:47 PM »
It all depends on the skill of the pilot and how well he can exploit the enemys weaknesses. The top 2 American aces in WW2 were P38 flyers. You can have all the speed,climb rate and turn ability in the world, but if you don't know what to do with it and when, a P40 will beat you. SA is the determining factor in most fights.....not the plane you're in. Just my .02 cents  :salute
That dodges the question, nobody is saying that pilot skill doesn't matter.  The fact is that some fighters are better than others.  There are reasons fighter development didn't stop at the Foker Eindecker.

Also, talking about top aces, that ignores a lot of other factors that go into that.  F4U-4s and Tempest Mk Vs didn't exactly get to encounter a lot of enemy aicraft in the air.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #152 on: May 25, 2009, 08:55:37 AM »
That dodges the question, nobody is saying that pilot skill doesn't matter.  The fact is that some fighters are better than others.  There are reasons fighter development didn't stop at the Foker Eindecker.

Also, talking about top aces, that ignores a lot of other factors that go into that.  F4U-4s and Tempest Mk Vs didn't exactly get to encounter a lot of enemy aicraft in the air.

P-38s essentially had every advantage except turn performance over most of what they encountered in the PTO, too. So plane had abit to do with it there too.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #153 on: May 25, 2009, 11:28:19 AM »
P-38s essentially had every advantage except turn performance over most of what they encountered in the PTO, too. So plane had abit to do with it there too.

the point is fair'  the reason why the 38 had so many kills has to do with the nuber of enemy planes they encountered - by the time the Corsairs, Tempests and even the 51s were in the air, the Luft was all but dead already. 

Pilot skill can make a decent plane good, but a great plane can become truly great.  And the Corsair is really the best plane (starting to sound like a broken record here). . . and I think everyone agrees on that.  Personally, I wished the Tempest is perked too highly, but I suppose its best this way since I think a lot of us would fly it if it were not so. anyway.

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #154 on: May 25, 2009, 03:02:15 PM »
Spit9/8/16 End of discussion.   :aok

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #155 on: May 25, 2009, 03:25:18 PM »
Spit9/8/16 End of discussion.   :aok
F4U-4 will eat any of those for lunch.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #156 on: May 25, 2009, 06:30:46 PM »
Well if I had to pick just one plane I'd say the ME262.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #157 on: May 25, 2009, 11:40:55 PM »

I guess it depends on who's in the Spit.   But then again after 12 pages, you'd think people could have THEIR OWN choice of what THEY "think" is the best fighter.

In two months it'll be the same group of guys pissing and moaning, all the while stroking themselves to the same diatribe that is cookie cutter, from 7 years ago. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #158 on: May 27, 2009, 01:12:22 PM »

That is a very tough lunch  :t 
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #159 on: May 27, 2009, 01:25:55 PM »

I think that the vast majority of the people in AH would lose a co E fight in a F4U4 against a 16.  I personally would much prefer to be in the Spitfire in a 1 vs 1 situation.

As for the general arena style fight, i would prefer to be in the F4U-4 so that i can engage/disengage when i choose.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #160 on: May 27, 2009, 02:22:28 PM »
It's sad that after 7 pages in this thread that people deny what is clear as day...the best fighter is without a doubt the P-38.  To think otherwise is just self-denial.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #161 on: May 27, 2009, 02:40:26 PM »
It's sad that after 7 pages in this thread that people deny what is clear as day...the best fighter is without a doubt the P-38.  To think otherwise is just self-denial.

ack-ack

You know, I've always wondered why more twin-engine fighters along the lines of a P-38 weren't produced in WWII, the advantages of neutral-torque and nose-mounted fire power being what they are.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #162 on: May 27, 2009, 03:15:51 PM »

ack-ack

Yes, yes, of course it is.  Now back to your cell, i mean room, you go.  Don't forget your meds this time ;) :D
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #163 on: May 27, 2009, 03:47:42 PM »
I think that the vast majority of the people in AH would lose a co E fight in a F4U4 against a 16.  I personally would much prefer to be in the Spitfire in a 1 vs 1 situation.

As for the general arena style fight, i would prefer to be in the F4U-4 so that i can engage/disengage when i choose.

Very much agree. No lunch here  :devil
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Cipher2

• Zinc Member
« Reply #164 on: May 27, 2009, 03:54:16 PM »
Spit 14 and the F4U-4 are tied in my opinion, followed by the P-51D and the Spit 16