Author Topic: Any advantage in AH to get an I core 7 over an e8500  (Read 2055 times)

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
Re: Any advantage in AH to get an I core 7 over an e8500
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 11:54:41 AM »
Thanks for the offer Larokkit, but the lawyers would go stupid if we allowed it.  Liability and all that nonsense.
Can I send one for your review?  Not anyone rig so to speak.  I mean I own it and it is not promised to anyone.

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 04:09:19 PM »
send him a X2 7750 system too .. kill 2 birds with 1 stone

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 04:57:47 PM »
Right now, would be premature.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 05:15:39 PM »
I'm fully aware of the I7 and it's benchmarks, etc. but his question was "will there be a benefit in AH over the E8500".  Sh@t, the game doesn't even tax my E6750! 

I know Getback's already running an E8500.  Getback, answer me this; do you have issues playing Aces High with your E8500 now?  He already knows the answer to his own question and thus my initial response.

Now, if he's really asking "will there be a benefit with everything else outside of AH" then yes.  Go for it.

In other words... Getback wanted an excuse to get the newest toy. :P
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2009, 06:06:52 PM »
In other words... Getback wanted an excuse to get the newest toy. :P

:rofl :rofl :rofl So true. Except I don't have a job. But when I get a job. I am on it. (I always look forward)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 08:49:45 AM »
I'm liking you more and more. Always look at the bright side. :aok
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2009, 08:54:15 AM »

Why?    An i7 being tested by Skuzzy would be more "future proof".   :huh
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2009, 09:16:18 AM »
Why?    An i7 being tested by Skuzzy would be more "future proof".   :huh

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl Some miss the obvious don't they. Just an excellent point.

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2009, 02:12:15 PM »
thats the point i make about the i7, if you have the money to get the lowend i7 system. get it..its gonna be around longer then the 775 platform,  if you dont have the money  then a E8400/85000 is more then enough to play AH at this point. I think about more then just playing AH though but thats just me.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2009, 12:47:13 AM »

Send your X2 7750 system to Getback for testing and I can predict the future.  You will kill many many more than two birds with one stone...

I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2009, 08:38:04 AM »
Send your X2 7750 system to Getback for testing and I can predict the future.  You will kill many many more than two birds with one stone...

(Image removed from quote.)

:rofl :rofl :rofl Ya cut me!

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2009, 09:43:17 AM »
When TilDeath built my system, I wanted one for the long haul; one I wouldn't have to upgrade (except for maybe a video card) in the next 3-4 years. The I7 combined with Tildeath's overclocking work has made that plan a solid investment.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 03:52:00 AM »
OK I built a basic i7 system to check all this hoopla.  Skuzzy if you want to call me and give me a few BM programs or what ones you want to use let me know.  I will post my findings here as best I can.... I am a busy busy busy Bee now-days.  System is built though, need to do a lil tweaking before making any posts.

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 04:59:02 AM »
someones review on the i7 this his personal upgrade from a E8400

chris hurteau wrote :

I upgraded to the i7 from an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400. The main reasons I made the upgrade were:

1. Low power consumption (significantly lower than a Q6600 which is about $100 cheaper than the i7)
2. 8 logical cores available (quad core + hyper threading)
3. The ability to play cutting edge games that take advantage of all 8 cores.
4. The potential ability to load share between CPU & GPU once Windows 7 is released.

The upgrade might have been a bit premature, as the primary reason to buy an I7 processor won't be possible until Windows 7 is released. Windows 7 will allow load sharing between GPU (graphics card) and CPU. This will enable some really nice performance gains in games, or other graphic intensive applications like video editing software. Allegedly, games like Crysis will get a 20-30 percent performance increase. However, I heard that before when Windows stated that Vista would provide significant performance gains for DirectX10 games, which has not proved to be the case.

Regardless, the i7 920 is truly an amazing CPU. I've yet to experiment with overclocking much, but I do have it running at 3.12ghz stable and with a core temperature of 41C at idle and around 60C under load. I'll likely push things further in the coming weeks, and I'll give updates on temperatures and performance when I do.

Combining this card with two 4870hd 512mb graphics cards in Crossfire mode produced a 3DMark06 score of just over 19,000! That is a 5,000 point gain from my previous rig, and is in about the top 4% of all systems out there. That is pretty phenomenal performance. In Crysis with all settings at very high and DX10, I average over 50 frames at 1980x1200. This CPU is a gaming beast.

If you plan to overclock this card even a little, invest in an aftermarket heat sink and some Arctic Silver thermal compound. The heatsink provided with the retail package is small and ineffective at cooling an overclocked card. I recommend this Zalman Cpu Cooler for moderate overclocking. It is a very quite and very effective fan.

If your in the market for a 'future-proof' processor, this is a great option at a reasonable price point. The ceiling speed of processors is growing increasingly unimportant as multi-thread programing become the norm in both games and applications. You could spend a lot more for a higher GHZ CPU, but you're not really gaining as much performance as the jump from 2 to 4 cores, and then quad core to octo core. This processor will eat anything you throw at it and come back for more. Just make sure your mother board supports i7 chips before you buy one.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 08:14:53 AM »
OK I built a basic i7 system to check all this hoopla.  Skuzzy if you want to call me and give me a few BM programs or what ones you want to use let me know.  I will post my findings here as best I can.... I am a busy busy busy Bee now-days.  System is built though, need to do a lil tweaking before making any posts.

Talking about going the extra mile!  :salute