Author Topic: F4U Verticals?  (Read 579 times)

Offline MstWntd

• Copper Member
F4U Verticals?
« on: April 19, 2009, 01:03:15 PM »
Hi all, well maybe I'm just used to the P38, with dragging people into the vert, then falling back down on them and ripping their plane into ribbons, but whenever I seem to do the same in the f4U, I always get into a small flat spin and lose my shot. I go up, and when I kick rudder, I always seem to float in the same spot for a couple seconds, then have to struggle to get back to falling.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: F4U Verticals?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 01:18:12 PM »
Are you chopping the throttle as you hit the rudder? That big old engine makes a ton of torque and makes it tough to roll it over slow like that. P38 has no torque with counter rotating props.

Offline MstWntd

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 01:36:59 PM »
Are you chopping the throttle as you hit the rudder? That big old engine makes a ton of torque and makes it tough to roll it over slow like that. P38 has no torque with counter rotating props.

Doh...I'm gunna have to try that assuming I'll get different results. Never even thought of that. The torque really does affect flopping over? Even if I kept my throttle full, if I flopped to the side of pull, would that help? The F4U seems to pull right in the vert near the stall so I'd assume the torque is right.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 01:45:09 PM »
picture a gyroscope, it doesn't matter which way you try to roll it the gyroscopic effect still tries to keep it in line. It could be the combat trim too.  I know when I get my 38 under 100 I always flick it off because the trim tries to trim nose up and the plane seems to get stuck in the air.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 01:53:36 PM »
If memory serves me right when going vertical or turning in a nose high situation, you want to easy off on the throttle to gain better turnability when turning to your right.....

all depending on what you are wanting to attempt though....in your manuevering....... sometimes you want to keep the "MASH" on as WOT as possible .then sometimes you just might be looking to chop the throttle to zilch ......but lowering it any at all helps it when angling to your right when nose up.....and slowing........( TORQUE EFFECT )
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline MstWntd

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 01:59:38 PM »
Thanks guys, gunna have to try this next time I'm at my gaming comp.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 03:57:24 PM »
The torque is going to have the effect of rolling you to the left in the F4U.  It makes turning left a bit easier, and turning to the right a bit more difficult.

If you try to roll right at the top of a rope while at that stalling point, you'll probably get "stuck", since the control surfaces are fighting the torque, and things seem to "equal out".  On the other hand, if you try to roll left at that point, the combination of torque and control surfaces may toss you into a wicked snap roll to the left, and you may have a rough time regaining control quick enough to keep you happy.

You may find reversing is a bit easier at the top if you don't let yourself get quite so slow, and if you use a notch or two of flaps to pull back over onto your back at the top.  As soon as my nose drops below the horizon though I'm bringing my flaps back up.  If I'm going up at an angle, I'll roll 180 onto my back, pop a notch or two of flaps, and swing my nose back down.  Just avoid that rolling while so slow.  Rudder can be a mixed blessing too.  It's got the best rudder in the game (IMO)(which is attached to the best plane, BTW...).  That can allow you to do some great things with it, but it can also get you into some serious trouble very quickly.

I don't like getting super slow at the top of a rope, since it leaves me few options and is easy to get momentarily "stuck" like that.  If you opponent is drawing into guns range at that point you're dead.  I'm generally beginning my reversal while still flying at about 150mph, or maybe slightly less.  If I can't do a successful rope with a reversal at that speed, I abandon the rope and change tactics, right now!
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline MstWntd

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 04:22:02 PM »
The torque is going to have the effect of rolling you to the left in the F4U.  It makes turning left a bit easier, and turning to the right a bit more difficult.

If you try to roll right at the top of a rope while at that stalling point, you'll probably get "stuck", since the control surfaces are fighting the torque, and things seem to "equal out".  On the other hand, if you try to roll left at that point, the combination of torque and control surfaces may toss you into a wicked snap roll to the left, and you may have a rough time regaining control quick enough to keep you happy.

You may find reversing is a bit easier at the top if you don't let yourself get quite so slow, and if you use a notch or two of flaps to pull back over onto your back at the top.  As soon as my nose drops below the horizon though I'm bringing my flaps back up.  If I'm going up at an angle, I'll roll 180 onto my back, pop a notch or two of flaps, and swing my nose back down.  Just avoid that rolling while so slow.  Rudder can be a mixed blessing too.  It's got the best rudder in the game (IMO)(which is attached to the best plane, BTW...).  That can allow you to do some great things with it, but it can also get you into some serious trouble very quickly.

I don't like getting super slow at the top of a rope, since it leaves me few options and is easy to get momentarily "stuck" like that.  If you opponent is drawing into guns range at that point you're dead.  I'm generally beginning my reversal while still flying at about 150mph, or maybe slightly less.  If I can't do a successful rope with a reversal at that speed, I abandon the rope and change tactics, right now!

That's the problem I'm having I think, I'm just getting stuck. By the time I get out of it, the guy is already back on his terms and diving back down, and I am, basically, completely turned the wrong way if I were to even try to dive back down for another attempt at a shot.