Author Topic: E6B  (Read 530 times)

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
E6B
« on: April 22, 2009, 10:37:05 PM »
On the Max cruse, at what alt is that set to work.  I guessing having ords, DT is not included.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: E6B
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 10:40:38 PM »
It depends on what aircraft your flying. Usually they are the altitudes at which your engine performs best (on 1st and 2nd gear of your turbocharger, if there is one).

No ord and drop tank has nothing do do with it, max cruse is just for your engine.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 10:43:59 PM »
It depends on what aircraft your flying. Usually they are the altitudes at which your engine performs best (on 1st and 2nd gear of your turbocharger, if there is one).

No ord and drop tank has nothing do do with it, max cruse is just for your engine.

That what i thought.  Thx
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 10:46:06 PM »
That what i thought.  Thx

np, I will be able to provide more help if you tell me which airplane you are flying
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 10:55:34 PM »
P=51D
P-47 D25/D40
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 11:02:34 PM »
P=51D
P-47 D25/D40

The P-51D's Merlin engine increases it's power from the deck to 12K. After that your turbo charger starts switching gears and you get your power back at 16-17K, then your good up to 26K. I personally suggest you fly your P-51 either at 12K or 17K, because under 10K your going to be to low and between 12 and 17 your engine does not work well.

The P-47/D-40 on the other hand just handles better and better with altitude. I do not really know that airplane well so I can not tell you which altitude would be the best, from what I seen they are very good at 20K.

Try not to fly either one of thous airplanes under 10K when your outnumbered.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn