Author Topic: 10 year anniversary  (Read 462 times)

Offline jacko

• Zinc Member
10 year anniversary
« on: April 20, 2009, 04:57:51 PM »
I just read Hitech Creations is getting ready to celebrate their 10 year anniversary.  That is awesome esp. with the current economic situation the country is in.
But then again I ponder.... After 10 years what we have is a game that is substandard as far as game graphics are concerned compared to other games out now...... and play a game that sucks so much computer resources its ridiculous...  I would gladly pay 3x to play a game with smooth detailed graphics where one doesnt need to spend 2 or 3 thousand to realize the games full potential..  Love the game dont get me wrong.. :rock
But cant they hire someone from Japan fresh out of game creation school or something???? :pray

You have been Jacked!

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: 10 year anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 05:05:47 PM »
After 10 years what we have is a game that is substandard as far as game graphics are concerned compared to other games out now...... and play a game that sucks so much computer resources its ridiculous... 
This game is something called a flight simulator, which means that irrelevant of textures, poly counts, lighting effects etc., it sucks TONS performance from the CPU to perform complex flight calculations. That's just the way it is; all flight sims are like that. (In fact, I can run this game at 60 FPS at full settings but I can barely run MS Flight Simulator X at medium ish). I'd much rather have a game with an accurate flight model and good gameplay than one that just looks good. Though I certainly do like games that look good :)

Also you should check out this preview of the new terrain update/lighting system (watch in high quality).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 05:09:08 PM by Motherland »

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 07:11:46 PM »
I'm confused.

I would gladly pay 3x to play a game with smooth detailed graphics

or

...where one doesn't need to spend 2 or 3 thousand to realize the games full potential

You are willing to pay more monthly as a subscription fee.  That I get.  But, you want state-of-the-art graphics and game play but want it to run on an "everyday" computer?

It's like wanting a car with 400 horsepower that gets 70 miles to the gallon and costs $8,000 dollars.  It's a bit of a contradiction in real world terms.

I really don't think AH is really lacking graphically compared to other games.  It's not necessarily the same as other games but certainly comparable.

Besides, if we were reeally looking at the trees we wouldn't run into them so much.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 07:54:25 PM »
I just read Hitech Creations is getting ready to celebrate their 10 year anniversary.  That is awesome esp. with the current economic situation the country is in.
But then again I ponder.... After 10 years what we have is a game that is substandard as far as game graphics are concerned compared to other games out now...... and play a game that sucks so much computer resources its ridiculous...  I would gladly pay 3x to play a game with smooth detailed graphics where one doesnt need to spend 2 or 3 thousand to realize the games full potential..  Love the game dont get me wrong.. :rock
But cant they hire someone from Japan fresh out of game creation school or something???? :pray

You have been Jacked!

And I think HTC would rather have a game that the broadest range of customers can play and pay for.
Not to mention that to have a game such as you discribe with uber high end graphics and an accurate flight model would require a 2 or three thousand dollar machine just to run which in turn would limit HTCs customer base.

Think about this also. The pretty terrains and nice graphics look great when you just up and are on the way to a fight.
but once in a fight are you really thinking about how nice the graphics are? Or are you more concerned with where you are, where the enemy is in relation to you. And how you can either get guns on the enemy or get the enemies guns off you?

I know when Im fighting. the last think Im thinking about is how pretty everything looks
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 08:03:03 PM »
What AWwrgwy said.

You love the game with a total of 3 posts?  :huh

You missed it by a couple weeks, I think it was April 10th.

After 10 years what we have is a game that is substandard as far as game graphics are concerned compared to other games out now...... and play a game that sucks so much computer resources its ridiculous...
LOL Sucks so much? If that was true they would not be in business any more. AH is the best online WWII flight simulator you will find and their customer service is 2nd to none.

I think you need to buy a vowel.

Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 09:43:41 PM »
Could always go back to this.

A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 12:59:09 AM »
Frankly, I don't care about the graphics of a game as long as the community is friendly and productive.

That screen shot brought back some fond memories, Ooz.   :)
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 10:01:13 AM »
If you read the news section you might realize an update to graphics is under works.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 02:33:28 PM »
 Its easy to be critical of this game. However when you compare this game to the other flight sim MMO's such as WB or FA, AH is significantly better. Graphically online gaming will probably never be near offline game standards. Bear in mind the mega corp game companies don't like to produce niche games they want the mega sellers. There are very few flying games coming out offline, let alone online. And none that I know of by the mega corps. Currently, my favorite game is Over Flanders fields and its a WW1 mod for CFS3. Graphically it beats AH. But sooner or later the lack of real opponents will get old.

I think AH is a good product, not perfect but a good product. After playing AW from its beginning until the end though I would have thought that online air combat would be farther along than it is. Online gaming provides a key component that offline games don't; real people, unpredictable results.  I'll take gameplay over graphics any day. AH is the best flight sim online. WB and FA... Been there rejected them both. 
 As far as AH using up so much resources I am surprised how little it actually requires to play the game. You can build a bottom end AH game computer for $500 or less if you can use a lot of old parts. Hardly a resource hog. Give AH another 10 years and see where they are. 

My current AH computer; GB EP45-UD3R MB $105
                                    Intel 8400 3.0Ghz  $165
                                    8800GTXoc  VC Used
                                    150Gb WD Raptor Used
                                    Computer case Used
                                    PSU 600 W           $55
                                    6 GB DDR2 800 memory used
                                    Windows XP Pro 64 used

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 04:36:21 PM »
If you actually take care of your computer, you can build a top-end rig for $500-$600. The game itself takes up very little in the way of performance; what's actually using up your resources is Norton, spyware/adware, Java Updater, HP Updater, quickstart applications...

I can run near full-settings with hires on this rig.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 05:25:38 PM »
Yup, I just built my rig for around $500-600 and I run it at full settings getting about 70fps, so you don't need to spend anywhere near $2000-3000.

You also need to remember when your building a rig for AH that the CPU is actually more important then your GPU, now this could change with the new terrain coming out, don't know how much load it will put on the GPU.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 10:00:15 PM »
I can pretty much guarantee if you sink $100 into something like a 9800GTX you'll run AH just fine even after the terrain update. I use an older 8800GT and I'm not concerned in the least.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 11:28:13 AM »
Yup, I just built my rig for around $500-600 and I run it at full settings getting about 70fps, so you don't need to spend anywhere near $2000-3000.

You also need to remember when your building a rig for AH that the CPU is actually more important then your GPU, now this could change with the new terrain coming out, don't know how much load it will put on the GPU.

Oh ya! Soo much cheaper when you can build your own computer to your own specs! Try to get 70fps on a store bought $600 computer! Store bought computers cost twice as much and have half the performance. Don't know how to build? Find a local builder or someone you can trust to build it to your specs. Stay away from the chain stores/department stores. Walmart, Best buy etc will never match the service from a local builder or dedicated game system builder.
 My system gets in excess of 60fps and plays any flight game at the highest settings.  And there is none of those resource hogging stuff the chains put in their computers. AH and a few other flight games is pretty much it. Simple, efficient and ready to.. :rock