Author Topic: Hello from a noob  (Read 1472 times)

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
Re: Hello from a noob
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 12:58:17 AM »
Your already miles ahead of other beginners by coming here for help instead of typing on country channel +1 :salute

Offline thundabooge

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 11:43:56 AM »
When you go into the TA for some practice/training,  turn on the lead computing sights(green diamonds that show u where u need to aim to hit ur target).  This will start to train your eyes to see how different angles on a merge will affect how muck you need to lead ur target.  This was a huge help for me. After playing the game for 3 months, I finally did this and learned that I was always just a lil bit behind on my leads.  Made simple adjustment and bam...Instant increase on my hit%...
LT ThundaJB  VF-17 Jolly Rogers  Currently on R&R in Australia

You called down the Thunda, well now you've got it! You tell 'em I'M coming... and hell's coming with me, you hear?... HELL'S COMING WITH ME!!!

Offline CajunAce

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 01:11:41 PM »
Great info.  Thanks from another noob (1 week in  :aok )
---CajunJax---

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 02:25:55 PM »
Great info.  Thanks from another noob (1 week in  :aok )

from one new player to another.   .....

Wow well thanks for all the advice, ....

Wow, three posts in this thread already from respectful, "willing to listen first" new players. Very nice, hopefully this is reflective of some sort of new trend in new players (rather than the typical type who come on country channel and DEMAND answers). Welcome aboard all.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 03:35:35 PM »

Start with your physical flying setup. Work with someone to optimize the following:

17 views, controlling the 3 flight axis, throttle and elevator trim without moving your hands around too much.

It's actually 18 views if you set it up right and you can chose to have 22 useful views if you want to get em all and have the equipment.

Ren
Aces High Training Corps

Offline CajunAce

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 03:40:42 PM »
Trotter,

I'm from the school of thought that if you aren't willing to go out there and do your homework (forums/trainer section/watch films) then how is someone supposed to teach you.  I wouldn't want to waste other peoples time by asking them questions like "how do I start my engine" when I could be asking them, "what move do I do next if my Split S didnt give me my needed seperation and he's still on my 6?"  <--I know its probably an easy one for some of ya!  :aok  

I'm actually impressed by my experience thus far with the players on AH.  Plenty of folks willing to lend a hand and give out some great advice.  Thanks again.
---CajunJax---

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 09:16:01 PM »
Awesome stuff there gents....

All this stuff for Aces high will allow me to acclimate myself quickly for getting online.  Plus a few refreshers included in your posts  :aok

Thanks!
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 01:40:22 AM »
My best advise is to read, read, read.....and when given the chance get in a good squad, and there are plenty of good ones out there, that are willing to let you tag along and most importantly they are willing to answer your questions. And there are no dumb questions in this game "though you might get some dumb answers sometimes :rofl". So have fun because this is not a game you are going to learn over night, it takes a little patients and a lot of cursing. And just a few pointers...... don't throw your joystick (they get expensive), if your married (its not your wife's fault you got shot down or your moms, sister etc.). And your job (school) is more important, so if your up all night playing its not Hitech's fault. And if you feel the urge to murder.......just step away and say no!  :rofl

Good luck and have fun!   
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 01:43:32 AM by Cajunn »
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 09:36:20 PM »
..... And your job (school) is more important, so if your up all night playing its not Hitech's fault. :rofl
Good luck and have fun!   

Been there and done with WB and paid the above said advice!   Curtailed it though :) 

'Proper Balance'  in life is the key :D
-The Golden BB-

Offline slyguy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 03:38:10 PM »
Having flown air combat sims online for 12 years and having gone through every pilot training philosophy I can think of for these WWII Birds nothing, and I mean nothing, is a bigger door opener than connecting with people or a squadron that cares about your development.

Getting real time help from people in the game while you are playing is the single biggest thing you can do for yourself.  But for God's sake don't be a Rook trying to do this.  You've been warned  :uhoh

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 04:26:45 PM »
With a lot of help from this forum, I'm now getting 33 views from my numeric keypad:

1 Straight up
8 Upshifted
8 On the level
8 Downshifted
1 Straight Down

And 7 more by combining These keys on Num Keypad, which I've mapped and saved thru F10:

7&9  (Zoom in on upper instruments)
4&6  (Zoom in on center row of instruments)
1&3  (Zoom in on Lower row of instruments)
7&1  (Zoom in on Left side of instrument panel)
8&2  (Slide seat all the way back for widest cockpit view)
9&3  (Zoom in on Right side of instrument panel)
7&3  (Zoom in on altimeter/airspeed indicator)

Great for capturing movies with my hardware!

Note that not all numeric keypads will generate all of those combinations. Some might even generate a separate combination for 9&1, but that doesn't work with mine.

This frees my hat switch up for other things...

-- Peabody --

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 07:37:58 PM »
Philosophy of hat switch versus  numeric keypad for views?

I thought it would feel more intuitive to use hatswitch...   All I have is a twisty stick so the other hand has to be free to use other items during a fight.

Thx
-The Golden BB-

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2009, 09:37:45 PM »
A joystick has three basic functions in AH2. Anything else is pure gravy.

1) You have to be able to fly your aircraft to a position which will allow you the shoot the bad guy.
2) You have to be able to shot the guy you positioned yourself to shoot.
3) You have to be able to see the guy AT ALL TIMES throughout the entire fight. (And no, this discussion does not include trackir)

The term HOTAS is used to define a way of flying a war machine. "Hands On Throttle And Stick"
The reason there is a HUD in a modern war machine is so all the information you need can been see without
you ever taking your eyes of the enemy.

If you have a stick that allows you to do the three basic functions without having to look down at your keyboard,
for any reason, why would you want anything else?

There a are many different ways to fly. There's the easy way and there's the hard way. You need to determine which way you
think will work for you. Someones easy way might be your hard way and vice versa. That being said a hat switch and one other
button will give you 18 views. One average you will use 8 of those in a fight and probably less.

Hope this helps

Ren
Aces High Training Corps

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2009, 11:33:42 PM »
I am and always have been a keypad view guy.  I get 8 basic set views plus each of those up and down plus pure up and down (pure down isn't very valuable) for a total of 26 pre-set views plus cutomization of each using the arrow keys as needed.  I typically use as many as 17 of those in a fight (flat and up views) not counting using the arrow keys to tweak the view and the zoom toggle which is mapped to my stick.  Fortunately, I'm left handed and use my mouse wheel located on my right for throttle so the keypad and throttle are very near one another for fast switching.  I use my hat switch to map additional flight functions that I might need.

It works for me but it's what I'm used to.  Your mileage may vary.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 11:43:07 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline slyguy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2009, 12:19:06 AM »
I am and always have been a keypad view guy.  I get 8 basic set views plus each of those up and down plus pure up and down (pure down isn't very valuable) for a total of 26 pre-set views plus cutomization of each using the arrow keys as needed.  I typically use as many as 17 of those in a fight (flat and up views) not counting using the arrow keys to tweak the view and the zoom toggle which is mapped to my stick.  Fortunately, I'm left handed and use my mouse wheel located on my right for throttle so the keypad and throttle are very near one another for fast switching.  I use my hat switch to map additional flight functions that I might need.

It works for me but it's what I'm used to.  Your mileage may vary.

I always wondered how lefties use these flight sticks.  They make left handed versions?  Or do you flip it upside down and re-string it?  :rofl