Author Topic: Need some bigtime help please  (Read 478 times)

Offline 1Duke1

• Silver Member
Need some bigtime help please
« on: April 23, 2009, 11:21:11 PM »
Gents,

Need some help from you computer smart people out there....my current AH machine has decided to go tits up and I can't figure out why.

It was running fine last night.  Right before hitting the sack, I started my anti-spyware program running....when I got up this morning, computer was still running fine (after having been on all night) no spyware issues found, so I shut it down.

Get home tonight, and while the computer will "turn on", nothing boots.  It sounds like the HD is turning, both DVD drives spin up, all fans turning and burning, and it kicks the monitor out of sleep mode.  Here's what doesn't happen....no "beep", USB peripheals (sp?) are not getting powered up, and monitor displays the message "Check Signal Cable" before going back into sleep mode.

Is this a motherboard issue, or HD issue?  Really hoping its the mobo, as I have a ton of picture and digital video on the HD that I really don't want to lose (pcis and vids of the kids).

Any help you all can give is greatly appreciated. 

-Duke
Duke

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
Re: Need some bigtime help please
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 11:44:13 PM »
Hard drive is probably fine. If it won't POST, then it is failing before it even tries to talk to the hard drive, so that's not the likely failure point.

First thing to try is to pull the power cord from the back of the computer. Wait a good 60 seconds. Then put the power cable back into the computer, and try to boot it.

If this fails, then I would try the following:

1. Reseat every cable and connector on the motherboard. This means all the power connectors, the drive cables, and the small wires that connect the mainboard to the power switch and sound ports and usb ports.

2. Still no workie? Reseat the RAM. Unplug and reinsert all peripheral cards.

3. Still not working? If you have any peripheral cards other than video, remove them and try booting. If you have built-in video that you're not using because you have a good video card, remove the video card and use the built-in video port and see if it boots.

4. No dice? Buy a new power supply from someplace with a good return policy. Disconnect the old power supply and connect the new one. If the machine boots, then remove the old power supply from the chassis and install the new one. If the machine doesn't boot, then return the power supply and get your money back.

5. No joy? If you're feeling ambitious, reseat the CPU, which means uninstalling and reinstalling the CPU cooler, so have some thermal paste handy.

6. Last step if its still not booting: if you happen to be blessed with a lot of compatible spare parts or a nearly identical spare machine, its time to start swapping parts, one at a time, until you locate the bad part.

Otherwise, it's probably a bad motherboard.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 11:57:12 PM »
I just had the same issue with my comp this last weekend, ended up being 1 of the 2 sticks of ram were bad, and a dead video card.  Try removing one stick of ram and testing each on in each slot to see if it will POST.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 09:11:16 AM »
One thing Llama didn't mention. You can also attempt to reset the CMOS.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 09:55:40 AM »
I just had the same issue with my comp this last weekend, ended up being 1 of the 2 sticks of ram were bad, and a dead video card.  Try removing one stick of ram and testing each on in each slot to see if it will POST.

Ditto, Take the ram to a shop and have them test it or you can get a ram tester or put in another machine if available.

Video card, I think this more likely the problem. Look at the card and check to see if the fan is clogged up. Bet it overheated.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 02:44:22 PM »
Sounds like a video card issue to me. If your using a video card and not onboard video I would try using the onboard and see if it works, also try swapping out an other monitor / video wire if you have a spare. After that I would probably try  Llama's check list.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 05:20:05 PM »
When you power on, dose the monitor display the bios name or any other indication the hardware is alive before trying to load windows?

If not, check the cables, see if you have another monitor around.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 05:21:40 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001