Author Topic: Ta152 Question.  (Read 715 times)

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
Ta152 Question.
« on: April 12, 2009, 08:23:24 PM »
Some times when i am landing or cut my throttle i tend to stall out, its kind of like i have no vertical stab. What do i do to spot this from happening?
Strokes

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
Re: Ta152 Question.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 08:35:50 PM »
Don't rudder when extremely slow.  That's when I usually tailslide it (when I'm chopping thorttle and using rudder)
Tours 86 - 296

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 08:37:51 PM »
To spot it you just need to fly it enough while paying attention to either the sideslip ball instrument, or doing positive and negative barrel rolls to the left and right, without any rudder input.  You'll see which way it goes.  The problem is the tail is heavy, and there might be some fuselage blanking of the vertical tail surfaces past a certain yaw-AoA, so the tail's free to swap ends.
To stop it from happening you just need to be on the rudders anytime you're doing maneuvers that tempt the tail from swapping ends. If you don't rudder when extremely slow you'll never exploit many of the best maneuvers the 152's capable of.

The safest way to land is to flare it. Keep the RPMs up to help the airbraking, and it won't be any more difficult than landing an F4U. I don't know if flaps could help. If you don't care either way or don't need to rearm, you could just belly it.

To come out of the spin there's no real rule of thumb. Flaps out and gears out help, sometimes.  You know you're about to recover when the yaw's slowed down, the wings level, and the nose comes down to the horizon. At that point, push the nose down with full throttle and you should recover pretty much everytime. 
What you need to keep in mind when the tailspin's really gotten out of control is that you might be flying backwards, tail first, which might mean (dunno for sure myself) that the controls are inverted.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 08:41:15 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 09:24:53 PM »
Thanks moot i knew you could help, you to Banshee.  :salute
Strokes

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 09:13:40 PM »
The 152 isn't too tricky to land once you know what you doing.

Try a long and flat approach... if you keep the rate of descent down, get flaps and gear out and be gentle with it, you should be able to stop it from stalling (or stalling badly enough to be a cause for concern).

I find that ground-looping is the only real problem with the 152... So i get it as slow as I can in the air, just off the runway... touch it down, throttle to zero, hard back on the stick and on the brakes.

Doing it like this usually stops it fast enough to prevent it from faffing about on the runway.

I always land them gear down, re-arm them often and rarely have a problem. Only when I rush or get sloppy do I snap a gear.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 09:23:47 PM »
If you really want to minimize time on the ground (less chance of ground loops), flare it with full flaps.
e.g. of a full flapped short landing.. Lots of rudder to scrub the speed, and then usually with the stall horn just barely buzzing on your way down the flare, keeping it straight on the flare.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 06:08:16 AM »
What I sometimes did (back in the days) was just pressing 'x' (level flight) on the final run, and it'll coach you nicely onto the runway. Be sure to line up properly though!
This way you can just play with your throttle to descend, without having to worry about steering, or ground-looping.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 07:15:15 PM »
And don't forget that pulling back on the stick locks the tail wheel.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 09:11:24 PM »
Just like landing a very delicate F4U. Thanks.
Strokes